Honda Brio

Dropped by Honda showroom today to take a closer look at Honda Brio. at only 399.000 baht you get 90hp from a 4 pot, 2 el windows, 2 airbags and ABS brakes. I am impressed :jap:

399k does not get you auto, but still amazingly good spec for money. Milage is on par with my GF motocy Ninja 650R, so is Insurance and annual tax. Even with drivers seat in rear position I can sit in the rearseat, so seats 4-5.

Asked about delivery/que, and Honda Phuket said October.

Anyone ordered or taken delivery yet?

What is your opinion on this shopping cart?

Kata.. it has ABS on the 399,000b one.. are you sure?

I like the car... just HATE that tan interior :bah::bah:

yep, ABS roy percen, according to educated sales staff and brochure in my hand. They did not have a 399k baht in showroom, so couldnt spot ABS with my own eyes

the tan fabric seats wont stay tan for long, they will be hmmm dirt colored in few months. Leather front seats at 10k, and I would want to split the folding rear seat 50/50, so perhaps leather there to. dash is black :)

90hp, manual gear, 925Kg, and I have 4 Mugen 15inchers somewhere in my garage, sounds fun :P

I'm going on the weekend for my service. I'll check out the brio there and angle for a test drive. The top model manual would be fun but a pita driving in bkk.

Also I read that top speed is also electronically limited - I think to 160 km/h, but the test drives I read about had it up to just 140 km/h.

Agreed about the tan interior. That brown dash surround also looks out of place - perhaps that could be carbon fibred. Some bride seats at 20K a piece might be cool too.

As for wheels - the mazda 2 16" stock wheels/tyres are the perfect upsize for the brio's (195/45/16). Though I like to look of lenso's lightweight 15 inchers.

I've seen a couple of lowered one's on some brio websites. With some dark tint the look pretty cool.

The fw measurement of fc are also putting it close to the 20km/l mark.

if my finance go better im seriously thinking of getting one and maybe boosting it a little bit.. for fun rides to the gym/beach. Racing those Hard modded exhaust vios if u know what im saying :)

Too expensive to have fast cars here, so ima rice it up

Edited by seriouseats

if my finance go better im seriously thinking of getting one and maybe boosting it a little bit.. for fun rides to the gym/beach. Racing those Hard modded exhaust vios if u know what im saying :)

Possibly whatever fits the 1.2 jazz in the UK will work with this engine:) Perhaps header , intake. I'm kinda hoping it drives like my old mini clubman GT - but that was 300 kgs lighter, albeit with less power:) At only 35 litres fuel capacity, it'll also need a drop fuel tank lol

You dont even get a radio, to cheap,, next step up, a friend wanted to buy 1 for his gf we went for a test drive, good car but i would go fo one with radio :)

6k baht for excellent Sony or Alpine and 6k baht for excellent speakers, beats any Honda radio :)

Possibly whatever fits the 1.2 jazz in the UK will work with this engine:) Perhaps header , intake. I'm kinda hoping it drives like my old mini clubman GT - but that was 300 kgs lighter, albeit with less power:) At only 35 litres fuel capacity, it'll also need a drop fuel tank lol

my first car, actually my mums car, was a 1975 Fiat 127. 900cc at 45 hp and 7-800Kg. Brio manual with 925 Kg on 90 hp should be something similar. except my Fiat had 135/80 on 13 inchers :D

Also I read that top speed is also electronically limited - I think to 160 km/h, but the test drives I read about had it up to just 140 km/h.

Forget any electronic limiters - It would be patience limited for me.. 0-100 takes > 14s in the MT, 0-160 would probably take a week ;)

Forget any electronic limiters - It would be patience limited for me.. 0-100 takes > 14s in the MT, 0-160 would probably take a week ;)

0-100 at 14 sec, is that manual or CVT? was hoping manual would make it 10 sec

manual final ratio is 4,294 while CVT is 4,619, should make a huge difference

0-100 CVT = 14.2s

0-100 5MT = 12.7s

So 5MT about the same 0-100 acceleration as VIGO 3.0L 4AT, or the Pajero Sport 2.5L 5AT.

High speeds is where it really feels it - every +10 KM/hr above 100 takes another ~3s up to 130 km/hr, with the 130-140 stretch needing another 5.5s alone.

Its fares much better at city speeds though - 0-60km/hr in the Brio 5MT takes 5.4s, which makes it only about 0.3s slower than a Fiesta 1.6L DSG to that speed.

And then a trailer, Phuket- Hua Hin 4 days he he :)

MRO are there any significant differences in fuel consumption between the manual and auto brio? Also do you know the rpm at 100 km/h for both versions. The acceleration sounds acceptable, and a little better than the march.

And then a trailer, Phuket- Hua Hin 4 days he he :)

like this one?

post-81971-0-13601700-1310702033_thumb.j

well if yammy nouvo can pull trailers, Brio can too :D

actually went Phuket- Hua Hin once with my Yaris auto. Only time it was off Phuket island ;)

So what does one get for the extra 70 thou V package before adding the cost of the Auto. for a total of 508,500.

The top model (V) differs by about 40K between the auto and manual. Apart from that I don't see any other differences.

So what does one get for the extra 70 thou V package before adding the cost of the Auto. for a total of 508,500.

my Thai reading is limited, but 70k baht from S to V spec seems to give you

mags, still 14 inchers tho

soundsystem 2din, aux, usb

rear el windows

el mirrors painted

painted door handles

alarm, base has remote and Immobilizer but no alarm

one more item, something about raining, could be hatch spoiler?

due to mags it is 5 Kg lighter

my Thai reading is limited, but

rear el windows

el mirrors painted

painted door handles

So just a bit of fluff one has to buy to get auto. For a company city runabout I'll stick with Savvy. Missus requires auto.

Edited by VocalNeal

MRO are there any significant differences in fuel consumption between the manual and auto brio? Also do you know the rpm at 100 km/h for both versions. The acceleration sounds acceptable, and a little better than the march.

MT is very marginally more fuel effecient, but that all comes down to driver. Realistically, nothing in it.

No info on RPM @ 100km/hr.

MT is very marginally more fuel effecient, but that all comes down to driver. Realistically, nothing in it.

Honda has gone the cheap american way to get nice fuel figures, high (4,3manual/4,6 cvt)) final ratio and manual 4th and 5th as overdrive. 5th at 100kmh should provide vey low rpm, and 3rd needed to accelerate at all

Thanks, I know for the march there is a large difference in rpm at 100 km/h, and I assume that would make the manual less efficient at high cruising speeds. But I guess that is offset at lower speeds in traffic.

my Thai reading is limited, but

rear el windows

el mirrors painted

painted door handles

So just a bit of fluff one has to buy to get auto. For a company city runabout I'll stick with Savvy. Missus requires auto.

my GF is used to clutch and gear from her Ninja650 and village/farm Hilux, but she doesnt like Proton at all :rolleyes:

Thanks, I know for the march there is a large difference in rpm at 100 km/h, and I assume that would make the manual less efficient at high cruising speeds. But I guess that is offset at lower speeds in traffic.

cvt is 0,421 and final 4,619

manual 5th is 0,727 and final 4.294

compensate for rubberband powerloss in cvt, and fuel should be same at 100-120kmh

more concerend about cvts 1st at 2.419 with final 4.619, to get 4 farang up a driveway or steep hill. Initial Jazz just couldnt make it, smokey rubberband, and everyone out of car to get up :whistling:

. Initial Jazz just couldnt make it, smokey rubberband, and everyone out of car to get up :whistling:

My grandmother used to tell us kids about her family's first car. When negotiating steep hills she and her sister had to walk alongside the car each carrying a block with instructions to jam the blocks behind the wheels if the engine stopped.

So not much has changed in 100 yearslaugh.gif

Ordered one after the Novemeber Auto show. Was told April delivery. For the first time I could look inside a Brio at the March auto show.

Though I think the Motor and ABS is better than the Nissan March, the quality of things inside plus the lack of space made me cancel the order.

Have one March and have orderd a second one for myself, the wife rarely lets me have my car

Just returned from a test drive of the brio. I took the saleswoman, my wife and son (so carrying about 230kgs). I covered about 18 kms to my house, wife dropped me off and she drove back to the dealer (we are getting our civic serviced at the moment). The acceleration was adequate but should be a lot better with just the driver (the manual should be even better still). I'm not used to a cvt - its eerie to see the taco rise and just stay there:) I did notice some engine noise under hard acceleration. When cruising it was ok. Maybe some extra insulation would help here. A decent exhaust my drown out this noise.

I reset the fuel economy gauge and managed 19 km/l around Nonthaburi - fairly open traffic but i did give it the juice a couple of times. The cabin is light and airy. There's a reasonable amount of space for passengers. I'm 6'3" and I didn't need to put the drivers seat fully back - my son's small so he didn't care. But for Thai sized passengers the back is fine. I'm not liking that brown dash surround - might change that to CF. Same goes for the glove box lid.

Overall its not a bad car for it's price. if you are a past honda customer you can also get a lower interest rate. I'll check a little later about other accessories...

Also, RPM in the CVT is around 2200-2300 at 100 km/h

Edited by culicine

GF and I took it for a spin yesterday, top model V auto. Salesman came along so approx 240Kg.

Superlight steering at low speed, well balanced at high speed, handled 4 inch deep ponds at 100kmh well, I am not a fan of CVT and this one does not seem very well balanced, in Sport it should be within engines powerband at all times when throttle, but sometimes remained at powerless 3500rpm. Me finished driving, GF took over and I moved to backseat, surprising backseat for such a small car, with my 6 foot, drivers seat is in rearmost position, and the Brio has more legroom than Cruze!

GF totally in love, but, 1st choise the 399k car does not exist, at least not yet, its not been manufactored yet. 2nd choise, the V auto at 509k possibly exists for delivery this year. 3 rd choise, white V manual at 470k we can have on tuesday, as one customer has just canselled 4 units. No freebies, 20% down and 2,65% on 48 months

Then we look at a City auto at 570k, ABS no airbags, but as size matters I belive safety in Brio with airbags and City without is similar. Problem, the white in showroom is sold, plenty of freebies except Insurance, and 3-4 months to wait for facelift and ad 30k baht for facelift.

So GF job on monday, find a white or red metallic City auto 570k baht in TH, or drive a white Brio V manual.

An hour later Ford sales girl called and told me Ranger 3,2 wont be until November, if I want to buy a Fiesta in the meanwhile, but thats 699k baht, got to limit price on GF car, dont I?

KBB I was told that the top model auto should be available in October, if you order now. We were also told that the manual is readily available. Maybe they can organise a test drive for that? It should have more poke than the cvt. My wife managed 21.6 km / l on the same run I did:) She, too was quite happy with the car, and said it accelerated well enough for her - she's a pretty slow driver as it it. I never used the sport mode - what's it supposed to do? I found the engine coarse above 5K rpm - nothing like the k20 civic that sings all the way to the redline. Would that be to do with the cvt, or a characteristic of this engine?