Transfers To New Computer

gennisis

I want to transfer my music files to my new computer.....I find buring them to a dvd almost impossible....burning to CD will need 60 of them.

So does one of these USB sticks make sense?. I've never used them before

I'm not quite sure as to why MJCM is assuming that your music files aren't compressed. A MP3 album can be one tenth of the size he suggests.

Perhaps it would be better if you stated the size of your music folder.

...Hmmm.....my mistake. I would need 16... not 60 CD's....and most has been downloaded in MP3 mode,Total size is 3.8 GB

Since I will want to transfer other data so I think a USB stick will do the job nicely.

Are there any preferred makes??

Set up a file share and copy them directly into the new PC a cross connect cable will cost 40baht or a switch 400 baht with two reg cables, or get a cheap usb box remove the drive and place it in the usb box and plug it into the new PC and copy them - put the drive back in the old PC.

My preference is SanDisk but Kingston is fine also.

Went to Carrefore...nearest place and got an HP 4 GB flash drive.,at least I had heard of that make......brilliant!... my old computer doesnt recognise it and doesnt show up on .my computer'...... Internet tells me many have this problem.

Wish I'de never bothered with a new computer.

My preference is SanDisk but Kingston is fine also.

Went to Carrefore...nearest place and got an HP 4 GB flash drive.,at least I had heard of that make......brilliant!... my old computer doesnt recognise it and doesnt show up on .my computer'...... Internet tells me many have this problem.

Wish I'de never bothered with a new computer.

UPDATE....internet info said to try the UBS in a rear USB socket since they were able to handle things better than the front sockets....so thats what I did and the total music transfer appears to have been done. of course I will now have to transfer this data to the new one tomorrow.whistling.gif

If you are using Windows 7 on the new computer you really should use the system to transfer what you want as it will keep all your settings the way you like and save a lot of time (even providing a complete list of programs that need to be re-installed). It is called Windows Easy Transfer and have used with good results on about five new computers over the last year. For that a USB hard drive would be my choice as you can continue to use that as backup storage later.

If you are using Windows 7 on the new computer you really should use the system to transfer what you want as it will keep all your settings the way you like and save a lot of time (even providing a complete list of programs that need to be re-installed). It is called Windows Easy Transfer and have used with good results on about five new computers over the last year. For that a USB hard drive would be my choice as you can continue to use that as backup storage later.

I've copied all I wanted onto the USB ready to load into the new windows 7 unit.

The one thing I cant transfer...(so I am told) is the XPSpider Solitaire game.it apparenty only works on XP. Looking on the internet it seems that many people are upset about this.The Spider Solitaire game supplied with Windows 7 is nothing like as good. I was surprised with the number of complaints about this I found.

The one thing I cant transfer...(so I am told) is the XPSpider Solitaire game.it apparenty only works on XP. Looking on the internet it seems that many people are upset about this.The Spider Solitaire game supplied with Windows 7 is nothing like as good.

You might try right clicking on it and select properties > compatibility mode and set it to XP SP2 and run as administrator. I find that works in most cases.

I'm not quite sure as to why MJCM is assuming that your music files aren't compressed. A MP3 album can be one tenth of the size he suggests.

Perhaps it would be better if you stated the size of your music folder.

...Hmmm.....my mistake. I would need 16... not 60 CD's....and most has been downloaded in MP3 mode,Total size is 3.8 GB

Since I will want to transfer other data so I think a USB stick will do the job nicely.

Just got an HP one, works very well. Many cool designs, a big brand behind them, cost pretty much the same as any other.

The HP I have is very clever - it's actually the exact same width and height as a naked USB plug; which is very small. I was wondering where the plug is, then realized the stick _is_ the plug. 16GB for 800 baht, can't complain. It's small. It's solid. No fancy designs that can break off. And most importantly, no garish LED lights.

[image doesn't really do it justice - this thing is tiny]

7c5b67e47aae82141b9244d9eb1a7d1d_78729822581273549485.jpg

Edited by nikster