Kasikorn K-Web Versus K-Debit Card

According to the Kasikorn website, both the K-Web card and K-Debit card can be used for internet purchases. So what's the difference between the two and does one have advantages over the other? Any advice would be appreciated.

As I understand it, the K-web is a virtual card given on request and after use can be cancelled, a new number issued each time you request to use it so if anyone tried to misuse that number after you it wouldnt be valid, whereas your card number stays with you, so if you use that online and someone gets hold of it they could potentially empty your account.

Thats the difference as i beleive it to be.

As I understand it, the K-web is a virtual card given on request and after use can be cancelled, a new number issued each time you request to use it so if anyone tried to misuse that number after you it wouldnt be valid, whereas your card number stays with you, so if you use that online and someone gets hold of it they could potentially empty your account.

Correct.

• 3 weeks later...

K web card is for online shopping. Debit card can not be used for online shopping and is marked 'electronic use only' = ATM's shops, etc. UNLESS this has changed in the last 2 months.

VISA debit card (definitely Bangkok Bank B FIRST card. other banks' card, need to check with issuing banks) can be used for onine shopping, i.e. ebay. You need however to tell branch officer to activate the card for online shopping.

Correct.

Not correct. You are not given a new number every time you use the virtual card, I have had the same number for a couple of years and use it regularly, though you can suspend the card via their website.

K web card is for online shopping. Debit card can not be used for online shopping and is marked 'electronic use only' = ATM's shops, etc. UNLESS this has changed in the last 2 months.

Not according to the site

There is a link that says "Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card'

It used to be the case that you couldn't use their debit card online, they introduced their virtual card to allow you to use online. The virtual card is great but cannot use it to book airline tickets where the carrier insists on seeing the actual card used to make the booking, Air Asia don't want to see the card, others do, Qatar specifically exclude paying with a virtual ticket.

Fairly recently they introduced a facility whereby you could register your debit card via an ATM to enable you to use it online, I haven't done this yet but I imagine this would mean you could use it where an airline needs to see the actual card.

Always wondered about the "electronic use only" didn't think you could get much more electronic than online, but there was no point in arguing the case.

I have Kasikorn accounts and also the K-Web Card. I went to two of my branches & they both informed me that the Debit Card could not be activated for online use.

You apply for the K-Web Card online and within 24 hrs when/if you get approval you receive the details of the card on your K-Cyber Banking Account.

Not according to the site

http://www.kasikornb...ages/Debit.aspx

There is a link that says "Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card'

Always wondered about the "electronic use only" didn't think you could get much more electronic than online, but there was no point in arguing the case.

"Electronic Use Only" means that it is not allowed to be used in one of those old "zip zap" machines - the card has to be used together with a machine that can verify the card's existance, which is an Electronic Data Capture device (i.e. the shop terminal) - using either the magnetic stripe or chip for card authentication and processing a verification value known as CVV2 which is contained within the stripe or the chip but which is not written on the card or known to the cardholder or merchant.

This definition doesn't include using the card for online purchases, which, from the point of view of the authorising network are "card not present" transactions where there is nothing to actually validate that the card was physically present at the time of the transaction.

Not correct. You are not given a new number every time you use the virtual card, I have had the same number for a couple of years and use it regularly, though you can suspend the card via their website.

In Central Festival they told me the opposite. TIT. :blink:

I thought about it for a while but quickly realised that I would probably never use it anyway, so I passed on it.

• 5 months later...

This is how you turn a kasikorn atm card into and online visa card

Applications for Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card and changes of information can be made at any K-ATM across the country, 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

How to apply for the service

1) Select menu option " Mutual Fund/Apply for Service/K-Mobile Banking/Others "

2) Select menu option “Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card”

3) Select menu option “Apply”

4) Enter your 10-digit mobile phone number to obtain an OTP VbV: One Time Password Verified by VISA,

and to receive K-mAlert Debit Card Spending. Then press “Submit”

5) Read the terms and conditions of the service and press “Agree”

6) Get a transaction record together with an SMS to confirm that the application is complete.

You then go here to register the card

https://rt03.kasikornbank.com/enroll/cardNumber.aspx

You then go into your kasikorn branch and pay 200 baht to have the name changed on your card from "priveliged member" to your own name.

When I got my Kbank card the girl asked if I wanted to do shopping with it. "No", I said. "Are you sure?" "Yes." "Really?" "Yes." "OK, if you're sure." "Yes, I am sure that I dont want shopping on my card."

When I wanted to buy a TV the other day I went into Kbank to get them to activate shopping on my card. "No need" she says. "It's already active." And it was.