Hong Kong Short Trip: Tips Needed

MichaelSong

I plan a trip with my (Thai) wife to Hong Kong for a few days in september, and would appreciate some tips like:

Flight: I like more comfort than budget AirAsia , so thinking Emirates or are they equivalent ?

How many days minimum should I plan ?

Best not-fancy sea-food restaurant ?

Shopping , not the traditional shopping malls

etc...

Thanks

HK is a great place to visit. There's so much to do. I like these sites for info on HK:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/china/hong-kong

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294217-Activities-Hong_Kong.html

Tripadvisor also has great advise for restaurants and hotels.

I did this one mainly to show the view at night...if you get a good one...from Victoria's Peak. It's amazing.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html

About three years ago my wife (Phuket native) and I flew r/t from Phuket to HK on DragonAir on their package deal. I picked ShangriLa hotel to give her a treat and all was excellent. The ShangriLa was even better than expected because we arrived late (about 10PM) and I mentioned to desk clerk my previous stays (many) at ShangriLa in BKK; he upgraded us to executive floor, which was marvelous, sweet think was absolutely knocked out. Time in HK was just about right @ 3 nights. Went to the Big Buddha which she really appreciated (devout Buddhist), easy ferry + bus ride (no package, just go). Strolled on Nathan Road, got some good food at Chinese restaurants off the main drag just off Nathan road toward the hotel, the India section. Did usual tourist things (Peak tram, etc). She really loved it all.

fly from bkk to hong kong on the a380 for nearly the same price as air asia. there is not many times you can fly on that plane for that cheap a price.

things to do.

1)ferry to kowloon from hong kong island

2)disney land

3)eat amazing food from the stalls.

as said before,there is so much to do in hong kong and your wife will love the shopping

Stay Kowloon side near Jordan Mongkok area close to the MTR, Temple street market is located there great shopping and great food also around Mongkok there's good not expensive shopping my wife loves the area.

Try the Star ferry to Hong Kong side and take a number 66 bus across to Stanley Market great trip as you can also stop off at Repulse Bay Beach, watch the light show across the harbour at around 8pm from Kowloon.

Take the MTR to Wong Tai Sin station to visit the temple costs nothing to go in and really nice. A must visit The Peak go before dusk to see it in daylight and night time and visit Madame Tussuards at the same time.

Have great time.

I understand that Emirates fly an A380 from Bkk to HK. Business class on the plane is supposed to be quite an experience.

For seafood restaurants I like to go to the islands - Lamma Island is a good day out combined with a walk across the island - and ferry back from the other side. Or try Chung Chau island. There is a floating restaurant at Aberdeen harbour but I wouldn't recommend it, very touristy. Lei Yue Mun has a seafood market where you buy the seafood and take it to one of the nearby restaurants. Or a waterfront restaurant in the countryside at Po Toi O (next to Clearwater Bay Golf Club).

It depends on what you want for shopping - there's a Jade market in Yau Ma Tei, electronics/tools in Cheung Sha Wan, Bird market in Mong Khok, knock off handbags in Mong Khok, men's tailors in Tsim Tsau Tseui and night markets and stalls everywhere, in particular Kong Khok and Yau Ma Tei.

HK Disney is great for kids but I wouldn't take my wife for a day out there.

Four or five days should be sufficient for a good look around.

I understand that Emirates fly an A380 from Bkk to HK. Business class on the plane is supposed to be quite an experience.

For seafood restaurants I like to go to the islands - Lamma Island is a good day out combined with a walk across the island - and ferry back from the other side. Or try Chung Chau island. There is a floating restaurant at Aberdeen harbour but I wouldn't recommend it, very touristy. Lei Yue Mun has a seafood market where you buy the seafood and take it to one of the nearby restaurants. Or a waterfront restaurant in the countryside at Po Toi O (next to Clearwater Bay Golf Club).

It depends on what you want for shopping - there's a Jade market in Yau Ma Tei, electronics/tools in Cheung Sha Wan, Bird market in Mong Khok, knock off handbags in Mong Khok, men's tailors in Tsim Tsau Tseui and night markets and stalls everywhere, in particular Kong Khok and Yau Ma Tei.

HK Disney is great for kids but I wouldn't take my wife for a day out there.

Four or five days should be sufficient for a good look around.

I did the A380 Business Class trip last month from BKK-HKT return. Came in at 19K bht. Well worth it even though the flight was only 2.50hr each way. Do it for the experience...

HongKongA380033.jpg

HongKongA380068.jpg

HongKongA380187.jpg

Don't forget the nightly laser show down at the waterfront. If the weather is good it's quite spectacular.

And for a pint in a pub with real atmosphere: Ned Kelly's Last Stand, just off Nathan Rd.

Don't miss it!

If you are in the mood to spend a few dollars, Felix Bar in the Penninsula is great, check out the washrooms. I personally like High Tea at the Penn, always a great memory.

Also Lai Kwa Fong is a trendy bar and resto street. Night Market, Stanley Market, The Peak, Star Ferry so much to do and see.

If you are looking for a decent hotel, check out the Citadines, or the Langham Hotel 5 star and has some great rates in September. http://www.roomko.com/hotel/lists/country/5/city/c_58

I know we are getting Ikea in the fall in BKK but the one in HKG is lots of fun-great cheap diner for a quick lunch-gotta love those swedish meatballs.

Lastly, time permitting I love Macau the ride is half the fun in the Hydrofoil.

Enjoy