How Things Have Changed

gennisis

I have been transfering music to a USB drive....and it struck me how small they were....so I did the calculations.

My collection, if on the old 78 rpm shellac discs would weigh 623 lbs and would be 15 ft tall.

If on cassette tape...probably 20 miles long.

If on CD they would weigh 45 lbs and be about 8 ft tall

The USB holds them all ...3.7 GB,weighs about 2 ozs and is 3/8" thick.

Amazing progress over the years.

Edited by gennisis

I bought four LP's in Hong Kong the other day from a junk shop. The first one was " The king's music" with his own compositions , an early recording . The other three are Thai classics played by a big band with male and female vocalists . The sound is so warm . I can't read Thai at all so I will have to wait to get more info but I would guess late 1950's . Four fab records with beautiful covers . The funny thing is though I have never seen any oldie LP's in Thailand as yet .

I need that 15 ft of music . :rolleyes:

I bought four LP's in Hong Kong the other day from a junk shop. The first one was " The king's music" with his own compositions , an early recording . The other three are Thai classics played by a big band with male and female vocalists . The sound is so warm . I can't read Thai at all so I will have to wait to get more info but I would guess late 1950's . Four fab records with beautiful covers . The funny thing is though I have never seen any oldie LP's in Thailand as yet .

High Tech Digital devices, with 7.1 surround sound etc. are wonderful (I have one) , but listening to an actual LP record on a good quality player, with a good sound system, just has some quality in it, that modern electronics can never match or copy. It's not something that can easily be described, but once heard, can not be forgotten, nor matched with high tech. That's probably why so many top artists still use the old analogue/tube amps and systems today. It must be a combination of things that make it so good. Like a good guitar for example. You can buy the latest high-end electric guitar, but it can never match an old Gibson for sound. The best guitar in the world, still can't make up for lack of talent though. That's still the bottom line.B)

Mind you, the prices being asked for old LP records and such, are beyond belief these days. If only in my "stupid youth" we had not tossed them up in the air to be used for target practice, I would be sitting on a fortune today.:(

Edited by newtronbom

High Tech Digital devices, with 7.1 surround sound etc. are wonderful (I have one) , but listening to an actual LP record on a good quality player, with a good sound system, just has some quality in it, that modern electronics can never match or copy. It's not something that can easily be described, but once heard, can not be forgotten, nor matched with high tech. That's probably why so many top artists still use the old analogue/tube amps and systems today. It must be a combination of things that make it so good. Like a good guitar for example. You can buy the latest high-end electric guitar, but it can never match an old Gibson for sound. The best guitar in the world, still can't make up for lack of talent though. That's still the bottom line.B)

Mind you, the prices being asked for old LP records and such, are beyond belief these days. If only in my "stupid youth" we had not tossed them up in the air to be used for target practice, I would be sitting on a fortune today.:(

Warms the cockles of my heart to read the two posts above.

The depth, texture and layers of sound coming from the speakers has to be heard to be appreciated.

I liken it to drinking an 18 year old single malt as opposed to SangSom and coke, or to watching your hi def tv when you can only see 20% of the screen.

Pity my vinyl is 6,000 miles away and would cost a fortune to ship here.

To the poster above who mentioned Gibsons, can never understand why Clapton swapped over to a Fender, nothing beats a Gibson coming out a Marshall amp, listen to his playing with Cream and the Dominos, after that his songwriting and tone went to shit.

Yes, you can store a lot of music on an USB drive, iPod, or hard disk in digitally compressed form,

but you pay for the convenience with a dramatically reduced emotional listening experience.

I would say, modern music reproduction technology has not resulted in a better listening experience in the the last 50 years.

A classic tube amplifier with a power output of not more than 3 Watt, feeding into a pair of old horn speakers driven by vinyl

records, will sound much more emotionally rewarding than a "modern" system.

Those old systems sound less sterile and artificial, naturally warm and dynamic, much more like real music sounds.

So, in my eyes, there is no real progress, only poor music quality, not worth listening to.

Edited by Orita

Warms the cockles of my heart to read the two posts above.

The depth, texture and layers of sound coming from the speakers has to be heard to be appreciated.

I liken it to drinking an 18 year old single malt as opposed to SangSom and coke, or to watching your hi def tv when you can only see 20% of the screen.

Pity my vinyl is 6,000 miles away and would cost a fortune to ship here.

To the poster above who mentioned Gibsons, can never understand why Clapton swapped over to a Fender, nothing beats a Gibson coming out a Marshall amp, listen to his playing with Cream and the Dominos, after that his songwriting and tone went to shit.

The other records I got that day were Johny Cash - Cash takes the blue train - on Sun Records no less , a Bob Dylan thingy from 1972 , and a square dance record by the "Bushwhackers" . The Cah record is brill , just him with an acoustic and another fella doing lead licks and percussion on an electric guitar .

I have had a few guitar amps over the years and now play through a valve ,Peavey Delta Blues , It can make any old box rock .

As the say " The future is mono" .

• 4 weeks later...

You can find vintage vinyl at Fortune Town; 3rd floor, Hotel end. Several shops. And you can buy turntables. ProJect for one.

Ta , where's fortune Town ?

Right outside Pha Ram 9 metro station. The hotel is the other end from Tesco.