The Cranberries, Zombie.

tigerfish

37 million plus hit on you tube and counting !

yes im a fan of the band, but wouldn't say its their best work !

the Thais though they love it. everywhere ive ever been in Thailand when the track gets played they go mad for it. they know the words, sing a long to the chorus in unison, even repeat play it 3 or 4 times in a night in some places.

what is it though about this one song ? when asking some friends if they like any of the bands other material, you just get kind of a shrug of the shoulders and a simple yeah its o.k.

how did it come to be such a big hit over here in the first place ? did it get an unusual amount of air play on the radio or did the band indeed tour over here at some point and thats how the song got so much recognition.

and if asked, do they actually know what the song is about with its political references concerning Ireland ?

Think this has been covered before on TV. Have you tried searching for it?

Its been a popular song in Thailand for a long time and everyone knows it? Just one of those farang favourite songs.

Edited by MaiChai

It's got the words 'tanks' 'guns' and 'bombs' in it.

Could be that they can remember some of the lyrics:-

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,

Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a."

Lady Gaga's Bad Romance has almost 400 million hits - perhaps there is Thailand relevance there ?

• 5 weeks later...

Its a decent anthem like song with a catchy melody and some actual poignant meaning in the lyrics. Its not technically difficult to perform. Many tourists like it also.

Most every band in Thailand plays the SAME standard songs. Most any Thai musician will tell you how much they hate to play hotel california again and again, if they are your friends.

Some Phillipino bands play non standard songs also, groups like INXS, PJ, or Creed; actually not easy for Thai's with english as second language. Not easy for many a native english language singer.

And virtually no bands in thailand play recent U2 despite them being the biggest band in the world. You will hear latest lady gaga and rap/hip hop though.

Edited by atyclb

Some Phillipino bands play non standard songs also, groups like INXS, PJ, or Creed; singer.

I was in a Bangkok hotel once and the lobby band played " Rasputin " by Boney M before effortlessly segueing into " Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini " by Brian Hyland. Surreal.

Another song popular with the Khao San Road Thais, you know.the cool kids not quite hi-so but want to show their Farangness ... Is that song by Lenka I think, any way once it gets in your head it is like Zombie in that it is hard to get out.

I think it is called something like "I'm just a little bit stuck in the middle ..."

This song, like a few others, are one of the few western songs that make it to Thailand. Call it poor marketing on the part of western record companies. As an expat, I get depressed at the dismal selection of songs I hear in the clubs. The same songs over and over.

• 2 weeks later...

It's because so many Thais resemble zombies, walking around without any thoughts in their heads.

555 Excellent and very true. Drives me crazy when Thais walk so slowly then just suddenly stop; leaving you to bump into them!!!!

With regards to the OP; I too have often been at a wonder, why they go crazy for this song. Very bizarre. Makes no sense.

Once Thailand likes a song there's no escaping it. We had that Job2Do song, Wonder Girls and that annoying Flo-Rida song played to death non-stop for 2 years and counting (though the first 2 have finally gone now). They never seem to get bored of hearing the same song over and over again.

Tis the beat --- simple.

The words are simple.

While I don't particularly like or dislike the song, tis a lot better than Hotel California.

That is very subjective and entirely dependant on your likes and dislikes of different musical constructs.

Tis the beat --- simple.

The words are simple.

While I don't particularly like or dislike the song, tis a lot better than Hotel California.

That is very subjective and entirely dependant on your likes and dislikes of different musical constructs.

Yes.

Unequivocable.

But, it fits the Thai requirements for musical content.

Goodnight.

Maybe the monosyllabic chant is similar to Thai .... so Thai singers like to sing it?

Unicorn, the all-girl band at Titanium in Soi 22 play it better than the original.

And where else in the world couldyou hear a band playing Cranberries, Led Zep, Guns n Roses, Lady Gaga and Abba all in the same set?

Works for me!