Hands Off Cabinet Selection, People Tell Thaksin: Poll

webfact

Hands off Cabinet selection, people tell Thaksin: poll

By The Nation

Most people do not want fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to dominate or interfere in the formation of the new Cabinet, according to an Abac poll released yesterday.

The poll was conducted from July 12-16 on 2,114 respondents in 17 provinces across the country.

Of the total, 65.3 per cent wanted Thaksin to have no involvement in the Cabinet formation because his opponents could stage political turmoil or a coup; 34.7 per cent supported Thaksin's move, reasoning he had political clout that could help prevent internal wrangling over ministerial seats.

In response to the report the Election Commission had yet to endorse former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva as Democrat party- list number one, and Pheu Thai party- list number one Yingluck Shinawatra, pending investigations into electoral wrongdoings, 71.3 per cent of respondents were upset, fearing if both were not certified, political turmoil and violence could result.

Another 13.8 per cent of respondents agreed with the EC's move and 14.9 per cent said they felt nothing.

But 54.8 per cent warned it could stir the highest level of violence, 28.9 per cent medium-scale violence and 16.4 per cent believed there would not be any problem. A high 80.4 per cent wanted to give Yingluck a chance to become the country's first female PM, while 55.3 per cent wanted to give red-shirt leaders the chance of ministerial seats; 76.4 per cent believed the EC would finally certify Yingluck.

Responding to a poll result that showed some people supported the EC for not endorsing Abhisit and Yingluck, Election Commissioner Sodsri Satayatham dismissed the significance of the poll results, saying they did not necessarily reflect the opinion of the majority of the public.

She said if the EC had not yet endorsed 95 per cent of the total MPs within the 30 day deadline stipulated by law, the EC would endorse enough MPs to start the Parliament session. The EC would continue with its electoral investigation and issue red cards or yellow cards later, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-18

Sounds like a poll that largely left out the people up north. Thailand has 76 Providences by they only managed to poll people in 17??? Sounds like another very meaningless poll.

Sounds like a poll that largely left out the people up north. Thailand has 76 Providences by they only managed to poll people in 17??? Sounds like another very meaningless poll.

Indeed, I'm, sure if they polled the Southern most provinces they would have got a completely different set of opinions

Thailand has 77 provinces.

There are already 77 provinces in amazing Thailand. What about the poorest provinces????:jap:

Yes and No regarding number of Providences ...

is divided into 76
(
: จังหวัด [tɕ͡aŋ wàt],
changwat
, singular and plural), which are geographically grouped into 6 regions. The capital
is not a province but a special administrative area and is included as the 77th province since it is administered at the same level as the other 76 provinces.

http://en.wikipedia....ces_of_Thailand

Edit: Sounds to me "a little" like the USA where DC is not considered a state.

Edited by Nisa

Poll conducted by: The Nation, the Democrats, the Tooth Fairy?

Where is the list of the provinces in this obviously non-scientific poll?

How were the questions phrased?

Important details left out in the article.

Poll conducted by: The Nation, the Democrats, the Tooth Fairy?

Where is the list of the provinces in this obviously non-scientific poll?

How were the questions phrased?

Important details left out in the article.

Abac polls are always like this. Or at least, the reporting on them is always like this. They certainly seem to do a lousy job of collecting random samples.

I am not sure about the validity of that poll, but I do know this: Reconciliation is impossible as long as Big Brother continues his meddling. It is high time for him to finally shut up and beat a retreat from politics for the good of the country. But that is of course impossible for a power-hungry, egotistical megalomaniac who sees himself as some sort of messiah.

The EC has been attracting a lot of criticism for its pre and post poll slowness. Some of this criticism has also been coming form unexpected quarters. The poll which was mostly about this issue just reflects this in the minds of the public. The EC has reacted by stating that their are lots of spurios complaints being made to bog the whole thing down in delay. However, the EC has also said that this election has seen less complaints than previous ones.

The perceived politicisation of various check and balance bodies over the years does not help when things like this require strict neutrality and yet many see every decision as being political. Hopefully tomorrow will see some of the doubts cleared up as the EC are in a difficult position and are not going to be able to please everyone. Hopefully too, any spurious complaints will see action as that is surely an attempt to disrupt democratic process

is divided into 76
(
changwat
, singular and plural), which are geographically grouped into 6 regions. The capital
is not a province but a special administrative area and is included as the 77th province since it is administered at the same level as the other 76 provinces.

Wiki needs to be updated. rolleyes.gif

http://www.nationmul...e-30135122.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/388324-bueng-karn-to-become-thailands-77th-province/

is divided into 76
(
changwat

Wiki needs to be updated. rolleyes.gif

http://www.nationmul...e-30135122.html

http://www.thaivisa....-77th-province/

It is actually listed and included in the the link I provided above and has its own page stating it as the 76th providence. The real issue is if Bangkok is actually a province but I am happy at either 76 or 77 ... I simply found it silly they are publishing a poll with only respondents from 17 as if this is a fair representative of the views of most Thais.

Bueng Kan
(
: บึงกาฬ) is the 76th province (
) of
, established by the
which entered into force on and from March 23, 2011.

Edit: but I will say I thought it was 76 for a long while (before Buang Kan). So, if I knew about the addition, I would be on the same page as you guys. When somebody first mentioned 77, I simply did an internet search and found the issue with Bangkok that I thought explained the discrepancy but for me, I can see it was not adding the newest province.

Edited by Nisa

Now, once more this is impossible to understand ...

If really people do not want T. to have a say over the next government, why did they vote for the party he OWNS ?

The ways of Thai politics are inscrutable !

B)

If really people do not want T. to have a say over the next government, why did they vote for the party he OWNS ?

There are non so blind as those that can see. None so deaf as those that can hear.

Then there is that ABBA song, '' Money, Money, Money, It's the rich mans tool.''

Agreed! Hands off Mr. Thaksin.

Let Yingluck get in and give it a go. If she falls on her face w/o brother, then it will be clear as day for all to see.

Then, vote of no confidence, try again.

Please Dems - no coup, tanks and solidiers this time.

Let Yingluck get in and give it a go. If she falls on her face w/o brother, then it will be clear as day for all to see.

Do you really think he paid tens of millions of dollars for votes, media, riots. lobbyists and spin doctors so the government would be w/o brother? You are either being disingenuous or you are naive in the extreme.

I suppose you think Mr Thaksin respected democratic principles and upheld rule of law last time? He was thrown out for a reason.

Do you really think he paid tens of millions of dollars for votes, media, riots. lobbyists and spin doctors so the government would be w/o brother? You are either being disingenuous or you are naive in the extreme.

I think you are wrong ... i think that hundred(s) of millions have been paid, not tens of millions rolleyes.gif

Edited by Nisa

I think you are wrong ... i think that hundred(s) of millions have been paid, not tens of millions rolleyes.gif

But he got lot more than that back, don't worry :)

The EC has been attracting a lot of criticism for its pre and post poll slowness. Some of this criticism has also been coming form unexpected quarters. The poll which was mostly about this issue just reflects this in the minds of the public. The EC has reacted by stating that their are lots of spurios complaints being made to bog the whole thing down in delay. However, the EC has also said that this election has seen less complaints than previous ones.

The perceived politicisation of various check and balance bodies over the years does not help when things like this require strict neutrality and yet many see every decision as being political. Hopefully tomorrow will see some of the doubts cleared up as the EC are in a difficult position and are not going to be able to please everyone. Hopefully too, any spurious complaints will see action as that is surely an attempt to disrupt democratic process

It is the inability to identify and dismiss spurious complaints in a timely and effective way by the courts which has given rise to this adopted culture of legal claims and counter claims in the first place. It has muddied the waters and done damage to the proper business of governance in this country for the past couple of decades.

I see that my first reaction to the title was not unique -- but then given how obvious it is, why would it be unique:

If you didn't want Thaksin involved in all major decisions, why the hell did you vote for PTP?!

No matter how jaded I get, this place still manages to surprise me -- at least for a moment or two -- after all these years...

It is the inability to identify and dismiss spurious complaints in a timely and effective way by the courts which has given rise to this adopted culture of legal claims and counter claims in the first place. It has muddied the waters and done damage to the proper business of governance in this country for the past couple of decades.

If they *don't* investigate all the claims thoroughly it will cast the credibility of the whole election into doubt. And you can bet they aren't getting much cooperation.

I see that my first reaction to the title was not unique -- but then given how obvious it is, why would it be unique:

If you didn't want Thaksin involved in all major decisions, why the hell did you vote for PTP?!

No matter how jaded I get, this place still manages to surprise me -- at least for a moment or two -- after all these years...

A + B + C often equals A- or C+

but rarely ever simply ABC,

or even more rarely ABC2

So someone took a poll, Thaksin won't care in the least,

he wants power, nothing else will do,

and being the hanging sword over cabinet members

is the best tasting power of all.

Edited by animatic

A + B + C often equals A- or C+

but rarely ever simply ABC,

or even more rarely ABC2

So someone took a poll, Thaksin won't care in the least,

he wants power, nothing else will do,

and being the hanging sword over cabinet members

is the best tasting power of all.

Indeed. You're not telling me anything I don't already know...

Well, most people didn't vote for them. And six million fewer people overall voted than in the last election, millions of people stayed home. The largest formerly anti Thaksin organization thought it would be a good idea to organize a massive vote no campaign and attack the democrats. So while it's clear the majority of people don't want Thaksin, it doesn't really matter since they own goaled themselves and handed him power

Just about very poll they take involves the same Providences and the same number of people. 2,114 respondents in 17 provinces I wonder if they bother to change the people. :annoyed:

Maybe because having 'Thaksin involved in all major decisions' is less unpalatable than having people you never voted for and who never got the most votes making those decisions? Maybe. But just to check, see what you can find out about the meaning of democracy as relates to the previous Democrat Thai government and how they got into power. Cheers.