Party Of Thai PM-Elect Fears Political 'Vacuum'

webfact

Party of Thai PM-elect fears political 'vacuum'

BANGKOK, July 18, 2011 (AFP) - The party of Thailand's prime minister-in-waiting on Monday urged election officials to move quickly to approve her because the country is stuck in a political "vacuum".

The delay raises question marks over the appointment of Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of fugitive former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and continues to provoke controversy in the deeply divided country.

Thailand's Election Commission (EC) last week put off a decision on whether to approve Yingluck -- whose Puea Thai Party won a landslide at the July 3 election -- over campaign irregularity claims.

Yingluck, a political novice, would be Thailand's first female prime minister.

The EC is also yet to rule on whether 141 other candidates, including outgoing premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, can become members of the 500-seat lower house.

"We expect the EC will work quickly so that parliament can convene and form a government because we are now in a vacuum as the interim government has held its last cabinet meeting," said Puea Thai Party spokesman Pormpong Noparit.

"The party is confident that we have not done what is claimed," he added.

The EC has to make its approvals by the beginning of August, when the new parliament is set to convene.

In the most extreme scenario, the poll body can issue a "red card" to a candidate, which would mean a one-year ban from politics.

Any move to disqualify Yingluck would enrage the opposition "Red Shirt" protest movement that was behind mass rallies in Bangkok last year that turned deadly.

"If she does not get the approval by the middle of this week, I think that concerns about how smooth this transition is going to go will begin to be stronger," said Thailand expert Michael Montesano, of the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

Officials are investigating complaints by Abhisit's Democrat Party that banned politicians such as Thaksin were involved in the campaign, where the slogan "Thaksin thinks, Puea Thai does", was prominent.

Yingluck has said she received only guidance from her brother, who lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a jail sentence for corruption.

Abhisit is also being investigated over allegations that the sale of discount goods at a fair he attended constituted vote-buying.

In another case, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which campaigned to persuade people not to vote for any party and is fiercely opposed to Thaksin, is seeking to void the election result because two million Thais were not able to vote. A court ruling is expected on Wednesday.

Two Thaksin parties have been dissolved by the courts in the past and their top executives, including the former leader, were barred from politics.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-18

Would the comments from the PTP perhaps indicate that they are indeed somewhat concerned that their Machiavellian antics are about to come to fruition in a less than complimentary light.

The fact that an errant bail jumper convicted of .criminal acts who also is barred from involvement the political areas for some five years yet is pulling the strings and making policy statement may well be the cause of the concern

Yingluck has said she received only guidance from her brother, who lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a jail sentence for corruption.

The quoted comment above is somewhat damming in its content as it is openly admitted that the banned brother of the Prime Minister elect had been "guiding" his sister alone the dark and winding road of Thai politics,whilst living in a self imposed exile to avoid a prison sentence.and being barred from the political arena.

Of course there is the lurking threat of internal domestic terrorism being repeated along the lines of last year by the Red Shirt brigade who are aligned to Thaksin and thus the PTP.

Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive! (Sir walter Scott)

NO vacuum, she just wants her hands on the controls.

The acting government properly ran the election so they can't time out,

but can be left in a holding pattern till the drop dead date of Parliament to convene. No vacuum is possible until that date passes.

Edited by animatic

NO vacuum, she just wants her hands on the controls.

NO vacuum, she he just wants her his hands on the controls.

With apologies animatic whistling.gif

I love the threat the so slyly put into the article : "Any move to disqualify Yingluck would enrage the opposition "Red Shirt" protest movement that was behind mass rallies in Bangkok last year that turned deadly.", and how they also admit that Thaksin is still involved in politics! Guidance is just another word for consulting, which is a business, which is work.....in this case, in politics!!!!

I love the threat the so slyly put into the article : "Any move to disqualify Yingluck would enrage the opposition "Red Shirt" protest movement that was behind mass rallies in Bangkok last year that turned deadly.", and how they also admit that Thaksin is still involved in politics! Guidance is just another word for consulting, which is a business, which is work.....in this case, in politics!!!!

There's a whole lot more of that herd to cull, and in the Thai fashion of releasing news everyday that astounds us I expect that to come. I also expect opposition parties will come to harm. I think Yingluck is going to have to govern through the same kind of shitstorm they laid on Abhisit.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to keep the country in a political vaccuum (limbo?) for a couple of years instead of stumbling from one inept government to another infested with corrupt, self-serving party cadres through and through. Just a thought.

Everyone should just accept that the PTP have received a poisoned chalice - just like Obama in the US and the dodgy Con/Dem alliance in the UK - and let them get on with fighting for their own survival in the global rip tide that is the legacy of the economic crisis of the past 2 years.

There's a whole lot more of that herd to cull, and in the Thai fashion of releasing news everyday that astounds us I expect that to come. I also expect opposition parties will come to harm. I think Yingluck is going to have to govern through the same kind of shitstorm they laid on Abhisit.

Oh, Yingluk has her work cut out far more than Abhisit ever did: Abhisit had the traditional powers-that-be on his side (except when he tried to sneak through anything that was good for the country, rather than for vested interests). The problems that he was subjected to wrt the Red Shirts were but mere mosquitos around an evening dinner compared to the genuine shitstorm that Yingluk will endure.

Just creating more bewilderedbeasts.

And kwai not.

Edited by animatic

I cant wait the thread on "Thaksin rules out serving jail time".

He said just recently that " ...5 years in exile was punishment enough..."

Self exile, with a private jet, cooks and serving staff, chauffeurs,

international travel, and his OWN PERSONAL ISLAND...

and what ever he wants, EXCEPT coming back to Thailand.

Most issan people would be ecstatic just to live in his bathrooms.

Hell, living in his cars would be an improvement for many.

The guy is an ego maniac and has no connection with the real Thai people.

Maybe in jail he might actually meet some.

Edited by animatic