Simple Question + Monkhood (Not So Simple...)

25 year old American male.

I'm currently living in Bangkok on my initial 30 day tourist visa-- what is the simplest and most cost effective place to get a visa that is longer than 30 days? I've heard Laos, but I need to confirm this before I hop on a 12 hour train. Specifically, what is the visa that I can get, as a tourist, that lasts 60...90...365 days?

Also complicating this issue is the fact that I am going to be joining a wat with the intention of becoming a monk at the end of August (this will require a 6+ year commitment). Will getting this visa now somehow prevent me from being eligible for a longer educational/religious visa later on? (is there even such a visa?)

Right now my plan is to take the train to Poipet and come right back with 15 days, as I have a week planned in Ko Tao on the 24th...

Edited by DharmaBumm

You seem to only require about 30 days if getting 15 days for July and before August ends becoming a monk. A tourist visa allows 60 day stay which can be extended 30 days. You should check on what/when you need a non immigrant entry as a non immigrant ED visa entry will be required for extension of stay under Police Order 777/2551 section 2.13 for study as a monk as below so they may want you to obtain prior to starting.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Confirmation has been issued by the National Buddhism Office

or the National Buddhism Office of the Prime Minister’s Office

or the Mahachulalongkorn University; and

(3) Confirmation has been issued by the abbot of the temple where

the applicant is studying or performing the religious function.

Okay, so there is an educational visa... good.

I'd still like to get a 60 day tourist visa to allow myself some leeway, as my plans aren't concrete. Is Phnom Pehn the best option from Bangkok? I'd rather see Laos than the killing fields...

Last question: the morning train arrives at Aranyaprathet at 11:35am and the last train departs from there back to Bangkok at 1:55-- is this enough time to make it through customs and back to the train station?

I'd like to make this a one day thing, but I'm wondering if I should just get a room and make it two days...

Why not take a van/bus service for all inclusive cost of about 2,000 baht. There are 3 or more services offering daily service from Bangkok to border. You will be back in Bangkok late afternoon that way you will not have to navigate unfamiliar border process (which from reports can be rather intimidating for those not aware of the 'unofficial' official demands).

Okay, so there is an educational visa... good.

I'd still like to get a 60 day tourist visa to allow myself some leeway, as my plans aren't concrete. Is Phnom Pehn the best option from Bangkok? I'd rather see Laos than the killing fields...

My recommendation would be to try get some sort of non immigrant visa when you go to Laos.

This will(should) make things a little easier when you apply for your visa to become a monk.

Having gone through this myself I am now getting quite good at knowing the proceedure.

There is a lot of running around involved in getting the initial visa to stay as a monk.

If you would like to speak with a farang monk about all the paper work that is required, who to speak to at the Buddhist center,etc then please feel free to contact me via my blog at www.watsriboenruang.wordpress.com

I hope that things go well for you.

With metta,

Phra Greg Chuntawongso.

Awesome Greg, I'll definitely get in touch with you.

And, well, I'm back from Poipet... Trip report:

Just make it onto the train to Aran (literally jumped on as it was rolling away), and enjoyed the train ride. Arrived at Aran at 19:00, and the tuk-tuk's swarmed on the farang (it was like a circus). Waited a while, but as it was still pouring rain, I decided to take a tuk-tuk to Garden 2 hotel (I probably could have walked with an umbrella, but there are no maps online). The driver was adamant about picking me up the next morning, so I knew something must be up.

The next morning I hopped in and he took me to that building off the road on the right-- trying to get me to pay 1,000 baht from his friends to do the paperwork. I laughed as I flashed them my e-Visa, and told him to take me to the real border. He did, but another one of his friends was waiting to sell me "the sticker you need for your passport"; I laughed again and followed the crowd. Exiting Thailand was the biggest headache, but they only made me switch lines 3 times to leave. Got out, hit the Cambodian arrivals, told them I was going to Angkor Wat (they cheered me), and stamped my passport in about 3 seconds flat, no fee or hassle. Went to the departures, showed them my e-Visa (apparently they don't look at the wet-stamp date for Arrival...) and they stamped me through immediately.

Brought my 10,000 baht to prove I wasn't poor, but then I noticed on the sign that it says you only need 1,000 baht if you're an individual... Stamped back into Thailand with absolutely no problem, and started walking towards where I knew the moto-taxis would be. As soon as I got out the door, a child popped his umbrella for me and his older friend tried to get me on "his bus." I humored them for a little while, telling them that if they'd let on the bus for 48 baht (which is what the train cost), I'd go. They pleaded with me-- to the point where the little one grabbed my arm as I went to get on the moto-taxi... 60 baht back to the train station, and I made it through the entirety of the process, from walking to the Thai exit, to back at the train station, in 1 hour (9:30-10:30). Perhaps I got lucky, but I didn't regret the experience, as I got to eat grasshoppers with an Australian and made friends with some Viet-Americans on the train.