Do Thai's Read?

happydaze

The other day my wife made a comment about how all the farangs read on the train while she is on her way to work.

I asked the question "why did you say it like that?" She said that thai's never read novels or anything other then magazines. I asked a few more people we know and to my supprise they said the same thing.

Further more I was very disapointed in my wife when I was watching a documentry about endangered animals, I aksed her why she did not want to watch and she said she does not care about animals. We got talking on this topic and I was even more supprised how much she did not know about the world around her and its history. All of which you learn in school from reading. She is very well educated, uni degree and all.

So is this common through out Thailand or just my wife and her friends?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally my wife wont read but when we went to Holland we bought 2 Thai books at the airport. She finished both of them quite quickly. To this day i still wonder if Holland was that boring or the books that good.

In general i don't see her reading that much, she reads a lot on the internet when planning trips for clients. But these were the only 2 novels i have ever seen her read.

I think in general Thais read less then foreigners. I also don't read as much anymore unless im on a holiday. Not counting of course all the articles and books i normally read to keep my knowledge in my field of work up to date. I prefer to read novels on holidays at other times i have enough other nice things to do.

So it might just be that they have a lot of other things to do.

How many of you guys who work, read novels outside of a holiday setting. I used to go through 3-4 books a week because i commuted a lot with the bus in Holland. I had nothing better to do. Now i can choose from so many things i only read (novels) when im on holiday.

Edited by robblok

My WIfe reads ,john Grisham (3 have been translated into Thai) Agatha Christy and many more falang books that have been translated into Thai ,she has just started the Lincoln lawyer,she tried reading in English but it takes so long as she had to keep either asking me what a word was or looking in her dictionary .

Many more Thais must read "proper" books as there are sectiones in all book shops.

Not all Thais read comics

Normally my wife wont read but when we went to Holland we bought 2 Thai books at the airport. She finished both of them quite quickly. To this day i still wonder if Holland was that boring or the books that good.

In general i don't see her reading that much, she reads a lot on the internet when planning trips for clients. But these were the only 2 novels i have ever seen her read.

I think in general Thais read less then foreigners. I also don't read as much anymore unless im on a holiday. Not counting of course all the articles and books i normally read to keep my knowledge in my field of work up to date. I prefer to read novels on holidays at other times i have enough other nice things to do.

Yes, my wife is much the same, I have brought her books for when we travel but there is only a moments interest, however she is always reading on the internet and planing things, making youtube videos she pretty creative and keeps her self well busy.

Thanks..

Yes, my wife is much the same, I have brought her books for when we travel but there is only a moments interest, however she is always reading on the internet and planing things, making youtube videos she pretty creative and keeps her self well busy.

Thanks..

I think reading on the internet counts as reading (depending of course on what). But if you already have a full live you don't need to read. Now i rather go fishing then read a book. Or just surf the internet a bit for information. But when im on a holiday and have no access to a computer at night then sure id read. Same as i will read on the beach. But when there are alternatives that are more interesting ill go for those.

As a Thai, I read almost every kind of books : fiction, non-fiction, travel, self-improvement and textbooks. I also read interesting articles from the internet. I just don't read on the train, i prefer to watch people get on and off the train.I don't think books here are more expensive than abroad. In fact, i think there are cheaper here. ItI think some people here are ignorant. They don't care about the outside world and live in their small world. Of course we learn about our history and as they don't pay attention much, they soon forget. Personally, i haven't read and watch political news since April last year. It was too depressive for me.

As a Thai, I read almost every kind of books : fiction, non-fiction, travel, self-improvement and textbooks. I also read interesting articles from the internet. I just don't read on the train, i prefer to watch people get on and off the train.I don't think books here are more expensive than abroad. In fact, i think there are cheaper here. ItI think some people here are ignorant. They don't care about the outside world and live in their small world. Of course we learn about our history and as they don't pay attention much, they soon forget. Personally, i haven't read and watch political news since April last year. It was too depressive for me.

I would not call them ignorant, but it seems to be widespread that Thai's are not that interested in what is going on around them. But i think the more educated Thais with an higher income might be an exception

I had a stepdaughter like you (Thai girl in Holland) who read almost everything. Now she speaks fluid Dutch and reads a lot and is generally interested in what is going on. She is a great girl and i never had to stimulate her to read it just came naturally even though her mother was the complete opposite. Some people just are like that and others are not.

I've seen Thai people read on the trains in Bangkok every time I am in Bangkok, and I don't even live there.

I know Thai people who read, but out in the country at least, books are very hard to find and quite expensive. Every trip to Bangkok I buy a pile of books for DH to take back.

Books are expensive therefore Thai's do not read.

It's all relative, personally I thought Thai paperbacks are quite cheap, usually 1/3 the price of an English language paperback bought in Thailand.

My wife reads, at least 10 novels a month, and any time you go past a Se-Ed in any shopping mall, there always seems to be a brisk trade.

It's all relative, personally I thought Thai paperbacks are quite cheap, usually 1/3 the price of an English language paperback bought in Thailand.

My wife reads, at least 10 novels a month, and any time you go past a Se-Ed in any shopping mall, there always seems to be a brisk trade.

If you make 5,000 a month, then 150-200 baht is quite expensive. If you make 15,000 baht its reasonable.

If you make 5,000 a month, then 150-200 baht is quite expensive. If you make 15,000 baht its reasonable.

My Mrs has more books (English, SKing, shakespeare and other hard to read shit) than I care to have around the place. PM if you want to come by someday and take them off my hands (I will tell her I donated them to some nice people in need of good reading). don't tell her i said this btw. shhhhh.

Thanks Pammalitta, I am no book worm myself but do from time to time. This was just an observation my wife made and got me thinking, but I tell you I really wish she would care about the out side world because it drives me nuts trying to seperate the recyclable rubbish from the general rubbish she just does not care, but I also understand that living is a bit tuffer then in the west and priorities are very different because of circumstances, so I dont give her a hard time.

Also my wife is the same since last year she is pretty upset with thai politics and does not take any interest in it anymore.

My Mrs has more books (English, SKing, shakespeare and other hard to read shit) than I care to have around the place. PM if you want to come by someday and take them off my hands (I will tell her I donated them to some nice people in need of good reading). don't tell her i said this btw. shhhhh.

Cheers James, bit far to drop by and we do have money to afford books. But I bet if you asked around you would find people interested in them....

Cheers James, bit far to drop by and we do have money to afford books. But I bet if you asked around you would find people interested in them....

I was kidding about giving them away - a life of hell it would be - can you imagine if I did that. Reminds me of Seinfeld episode, Jerry on the stage and says something like "Why do people keep books around collecting dust that they already read? Up on shelf like some trophy to prove to the world how smart you are - pfff, get rid of them - nobody cares that you read Moby Dick 34 years ago".

I was kidding about giving them away - a life of hell it would be - can you imagine if I did that. Reminds me of Seinfeld episode, Jerry on the stage and says something like "Why do people keep books around collecting dust that they already read? Up on shelf like some trophy to prove to the world how smart you are - pfff, get rid of them - nobody cares that you read Moby Dick 34 years ago".

We send regular care packages of books to a niece who loves to read. Her dad thought it was distracting her from her studies but I said she needs some entertainment too. Can't just study study study all the time.

<br />i have never seen a public liberary those here<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />We have a lot of book rental places. It costs around 5 baht for cartoons, 10 baht for magazines or more for novels. You can rent it for 3 - 7 days. SO they don't have to buy books.<br /><br />I like collecting books but i hate them everytime i move ( since i move every 1-2 years). They are heavy and use a lot of space. Really hate that.<br /><br />I have a question. A friend of mine complained when he saw me reading/watching cartoons. I'm sure i'm not mental retard or low IQ, just want to relax. I also like watching history channel, animal planet, discovery channel and travelling channels. It depends on my mood that day. Anyone has suggestions? Edited by Pammalitta

iiiiih.

Thais read a lot its just that they read nosense self-help book and tv soap stories translated into books. Those soap stories are the exact same one that just were on tv and then they read it so that they dont forget what happened in their wonderful fake world. They also have a ton of 100page books with children stories made to look like its for adults. Always a million thais buying those at book store.

The Social Science/Language(outside of german and english)/History/Literature/Animal books section are always empty though

Reading goes with social status, if you go to farangland and check who reads anything but comics in a poor income neighborhood.. well you wont find many. Thailand is obviously a massive low income neighborhood country so obviously most people don't read. The country would be a lot better if they could be forced into reading useful books in school. You just need 1 good book to open your eyes.. Took me a while but once i went through one good book in school then i started reading on my own as did everyone i know.

When I was a kid I read lots and lots of books. Mostly novels. By the time I reached grade 4 I had read every book and every page of all the magazines in our house. And there were lots of those

I picked up the habit from my grandmother. She buys all the weekly women type magazines. My mom bought all the Thai novels. My brother bought the English-translated to Thai novels. I also read all the sports newspapers that my brother saved up all his pocket money to buy on a weekly basis. And yes we also read all the Japanese comic books. For me it ranged from the slam dunk type, to football comics, to fighting type to the more girly corny romance cartoons :P also read Thai version of readers digest.

All of this by the time I was 10 years old :P

Maybe I was a bit of a nerd.

But yes Thai people do read ;)

i have never seen a public liberary those here

It's a combined problem of a reading culture never having developed here , + no public libraries, + many people being too poor to buy books, + being too busy trying to make a living / being too tired after work.

Edited by Latindancer

There is a clear indication that Thai's do read, perhaps not as much as we do. There is a percentage of falang people that read when relaxed or to relax. As far as I can workout over the years of watching the way Thai people go about things they simply do things differently to us. Rather than read they perhaps sleep/nap, walk in the Mall and eat icecream to relax or maybe eat with friends. Sure all of us read and have an intrest in the affairs of our home counrty and its past and current affairs but non European's do appear to have a different attitude to certain thing such as situations they have no control over. This I guess could be the reason for at time what us Falang might call sicking your head in the sand.

Either way, given spare time is there some that read and some do other activities. I read only on holiday normally as this is the only time my mind is relaxed enough to take in the story

Good observation by the OP.

Of course there are Thais who read books (as some posters so eagerly have pointed out), but it's a very small minority.

I would guess it's less then 5% the public.

Comics are popular here, and I've seen teenagers with comic books on many occasions.

As for novels, I seen very few people reading them.

And I guess that for someone earning 10,000 baht per month or less (probably half of the Thais), buying books is a luxury.