Duck Farm (With Fish?)

Meereen

Hello all, I live over the Mekong but as there is no Laos farming forum I'll just post here :).

I'm thinking about starting a duck farm and everything checks out but I would like to get some feedback because maybe I'm missing something.

The land here is a pretty good investment at the moment imo. I could buy a nice 70x30 sqm plot a hundred meter from the main road north at 30km outside the center of Vientiane. It would cost 300.000 THB or 142 baht per sqm. People are building houses there in a fast tempo now so I think this land might just double in value over the coming few years. The back part of the land has a pond of 600 sqm which would be very useful for the duck farming and I could put fish inside to for integrated duck-fish farming.

I have some musgrovy ducks already and combined from a little experience and reading up I found these approximate numbers for the yield.

nr. of ducks: ~1000

final average weight per duck: ~2 kg

food consumed per duck (rice hulls??): 4.5kg

food consumption per kilo of live weight: 2.25kg

food cost per kilo of live weight: 10 THB

labor cost: (fixed 2000 THB per month)

Profit per kilo of live weight retail: 70THB

(The scale is small enough to sell retail at the local markets.)

I don't know how many ducks per year can be sold and how much moeny can be made off the eggs and the fish in the pond but I assume it will be a nice extra.

Potential problems

Dogs or other predators eating ducks (good fences).

people stealing ducks (let a familuy member sleep there)

Wife selling the land to finance gambling addiction (Just kidding :) )

Would love some feedback as to if I'm way off base here or not. I don't need to live off this so making back the 300.000 spent on the land in a year or 2 would be great.