A Serious Car In The Moat Event

Greenside

The young man driving this car was at least alive when he was taken off to hospital so hopefully he's making a recovery now. Hard to imagine how he managed to take out a tree and flip the car right there - must have been going quite a lick. More info on chiangmai 108 for those who can read Thai.

i-GgpNprT-L.jpg

i-QzSGqss-L.jpg

Edited by Greenside

Nasty one!

Looking at the photos it would seem as though most of the vehicle damage would have been done by the impact with the tree and the car then probably tipped over into the moat and rolled over in the water once.

The driver certainly was lucky enough to be able to open his door and escape being drowned - or perhaps someone managed to get the door open for him before that happened. A left-hand drive car could have resulted in a different story.

Lucky person - if you can call that lucky !

Having had considerable experience in Australia with road accidents one soon realised that it was trees and poles that killed most drivers/passengers (the impact with, that is).

Hope the people involved come through O.K.

Edited by SwaziBird

Lucky for him it seems the water level is low as that could have ended up a much more tragic outcome..

Passed an extraction from a drainage ditch the other day but this ditch is always high water and has just masses of water hyacinths on the surface so the only way you even knew the car was there was due to the minimal scratches on the sidewalk and some weeds knocked over as the hyacinths closed right up over the car like it never went in and I don't know the outcome as the car obviously face planted quite heavily on the opposite bank under water based on the serious frame bending of the front end, I fear it was a fatality :( ..

Being from a high water community myself known as the "Venice of America" I always carry a tool in my glove box I brought from the states called an automatic center punch which snaps when you press hard against anything hard like a window and will shatter it instantly if you need to escape. I don't feel safe without it...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Reply #38 in 108 says it all:

Feel sad about the tree.. :crying:

Seems like half the Thai comments were about the tree. :huh:

If I recall correctly that gas station comes just before a section of food carts that people always stop at while in the lane, sending people jumping out to the moat side lane. Given the number of hot-rodders around town I'm surprised there aren't more like this guy in the convertible that hit the moat in that spot.

In the article it said there were a few cars racing each other . This one swerved to avoid a crash and hit the tree. According to the article it seemed to suggest he came out of the car when it flipped, therefore car landed in moat and him on grassy verge. Talk about luck!!