Condo

matador11021965

I am interested in this as well. I am thinking of hanging around in Chiang Mai for a bit.

My only requirement is that it is in a sane neighbourhood, hopefully a mix of decent Western people and Thai people who are there because they want to be there, not to leach off tourists. I did some research and it seems to me that Nimmanhemin Road is a good choice. Does everyone agree on that?

Between Nimmanhaemin Road and Chiang Mai Zoo (to include all the sois and sub-sois), there is an absolute plethora of places to stay both brand new and really old. The best advice is to perhaps get a small motorcycle and spend some time exploring the entire area. Honestly, you'll be amazed at what you come across providing you don’t rush around and just take your time.

For a one bed condo it's quite possible to find places at the budget end from 8,000 -12,000 THB/Mo. I know one bloke who has a small 1 bed condo in Soi Sukusame (central Nimmanhaemin ), for just 4,000 THB/Mo (cheapest I've ever seen for 2 rooms), but unless you want your TV to compete with music blasting out from the local bars, then I'd say avoid that particular neighbourhood like the plague.

There are of course many more condos and smart apartments at the higher rentals, and if money's not an issue then these won't take the same amount of digging out as the hidden gems at the cheaper end of the rental market.

Good luck

Aitch