Teaching Plan

Hello All

I should be grateful of some informed comment.

After teaching some 20 odd years in the UK at university level and a director for a Masters programme I have decided to cash in my chips and play my hand again. I've been to Thailand many times, renting motorbikes and travelling thousands of kilometers during month-long holidays.

With a bachelors degree in electrical and electronic engineering (my bag is audio/music and signal procssing) I'm planning on starting at the beginning and doing a TESOL certificate.

After that I'm thinking of trying for the MA in Tesol at Payap and staying out there for a few years working and generally finding out more about the country and culture.

I'm attracted to the Payap MA in Chiang Mai since it seems to be more self-study and seminar based - I'm not really looking for a kit bag of TESOL teaching tools. Perhaps my teaching experience will carry me some distance and I'd like to learn about the pedagogy of TESOL with respect to Thai culture.

However, I wouldn't like to disadvantage myself with respect to gaining a Teacher's License or exclusion for being considered for good teaching positions.

So, any views about the plan? As a newbie, I've done quite a lot of reading on this amazing forum but also should welcome advice.

Thanks.

One path ,if your planning an MA in TESOL, might be an extencive online TESOL certificate. I did LinguaEdge.com 150 hour course and feel ready to do an MA - lots of writing and a 60 page portfolio.

One of the acreditators is in the UK - puts you as a level 2 TESOL - whatever. The main thing about this course is you end up with a large body of up to date work (in wrtten form).

A level 2 TESOL certificate like the one I have may not be so easy "even for seasoned teachers".

I got a couple certificates but also very proud of the written work. I'm pretty sure lots of writing and research might be required for an MA.

I believe the CELTA course is considered the best and way less writing. I hear that the CELTA stresses teaching time as well as some writing.

I taught in Bangkok years ago and plan to retire in Jomtien once I get my Social Security. Not sure if I will teach again but I do like to stay busy and

maybe I can earn some extra Baht on the weekends.

Most of use can cruise though multiple choise questions. Writen assignments force us to contemplate, research and engage in the writing process.

I would like to do an MA TESOL as well - just because I've come this far.

"Knowing your students L1 is not important." I disagree as so much time can be saved, just be careful.

Learning a second language is difficult. It's important to show respect for learners mother language and culture.

Grammar revisited, history revisited, teaching methods and history, back to grammar, back to parts of speech, phonemic charts (British and American) - on and on - lesson plans ( PPP or What do you think ?)

In Thailand some simple stuff pops out - like the ZZZ sound (zoo) or the ssss sound (snake) or try th sound like (think , throw etc.), rrrr sound like ( run or Christmas).

The benefits of a TESOL coarse are many. Not the least diagnosing simple areas where students need help. Short lessons can be done in a few minutes and repetitive (and fun).

Bottom line = the students get more for their money.