Mac Computer

hellodolly

If you don't know what you're doing, op, and would like to join the 'look at me' crowd so that you, too, can feel superior over the degenerate Windows masses, go for it. To be fair, there's not much in it nowadays, and you can get yourself as good a set-up, fully-upgradeable PC for half the price. Also bear in mind the hassles with upgrading and those dodgy iMac screens. On the virus argument, Mac is absolutely not infallible, and if that system were as popular as Windows, it's users would be just as targeted. If you're worried about viruses, go with Linux; Ubuntu works well.

Finally someone to back me up against the almost religious adoration of Macs. ;) I don't completely agree though, specifically:

* Sure, Macs are a lot more expensive, but they also look and feel the part. Apple also comes up with genuinely clever innovations, which must have been dreamed up and engineered by genuinely clever and expensive people, so they cost more. A Seiko watch is also more expensive than something from Kad Luang, and people don't mind to pay the premium. So if you got the money, then the price argument doesn't really apply.

* On Linux being less malware prone: Again this is because it has such insignificant market share in the consumer desktop market, and because there are a billion different flavors of Linux so if you're going to write malware for Linux then good luck trying to make it work across the board, for limited benefit due to the small market size, AND in the knowledge that most users will be geeks who aren't as easily fooled as your granny using a Mac in the rock solid belief that they's immune.

Thanks winnie for your input. I followed up little bit on one of the links you had given me. It was informative. I already knew that part of the reason Mac is so bullet proof is because the time it takes to write a program to infect it can be spent writing one to hit 15 times more computers. Care is still needed but it is safer.

As for all the other crap people are talking about if they had read my posts they would know that they are talking over my head heck I am having trouble upgrading my adobe reader. Interesting thing I find is that a lot of the people against a Mac are not tech chalenged and mainly talking about saving money. This tells me that they approve of a Mac but not the price.

If money was a issue I would not consider it.

As for all the other crap people are talking about if they had read my posts they would know that they are talking over my head heck I am having trouble upgrading my adobe reader. Interesting thing I find is that a lot of the people against a Mac are not tech chalenged and mainly talking about saving money. This tells me that they approve of a Mac but not the price.

If money was a issue I would not consider it.

money was definitely one of my issues with it... but more so than the money, was the proprietary crap you have to put up with apple products in general. The way itunes won't let you pull files off of it and back onto a computer, the difficulties with finding any sort of inexpensive hardware alternatives (for instance in the power supply), and just the overall approach... i am much more of an android type of personality than a mac...

the apple approach just offends my sensibilities... for whatever the reason

Edited by zippydedodah

The way itunes won't let you pull files off of it and back onto a computer,

Which way is that? I have no problems dragging music from an itunes playlist to my desktop or anywhere else for that matter.

Post deleted regarding pirated copies. OSX requires purchasing a license for installing. Also note the Apple EULA:

2 . Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

I realize the above EULA is pretty volatile subject in various forums with strong debates as to legal/illegal.

The Mac OS X EULA forbids installations of Mac OS X on a "non-Apple-branded computer".[2] On July 3, 2008, Apple filed a lawsuit against Psystar Corporation[12] for violating this restriction, among other claims. The courts granted the claim to Apple.

Thanks Guys for the answers.

The only thing I would worry about is as winnie pointed out

"User friendly is relative. You wouldn't believe the challenge I had getting a middle mouse 'button' to work on the Apple magic mouse. (And it's still very awkward to use). Also the mouse speed/acceleration is just nuts, and with inadequate control. All strictly IMHO. Also the Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard seems to have a mind of its own sometimes."

I know I used the mouse on the one at the airport plaza and it seemed very slow to me and I can see where there will be a definite learning curve learning to use it.

Same as when I went from a one click mouse to a right and left hand one and again when I went to one with the scroll.

I am going to the states next month and might consider a notebook.

Be that is it may I am defiantly going to gt the big desk model when I return. Is there any thing I should be looking at buying there and bringing back with me.

I have 27" and MacBook Air, have had a few 27" models, along with new macBook Pro. I like the Air because it's light & great for travel. NEVER had a problem with my mouse or keyboard...you can adjust speed, etc in system preferences. If you buy in the US, which I suggest, take a couple of classes-free at the Apple store. Never looked back from using PC's.

maybe im of touch but why do some peoples say apple and some mac are they not they same logos very similar think i would go with apple as been around longer than mac sure i remember them when i think about it

Very much of touch.

I am going to the states next month and might consider a notebook.

Be that is it may I am defiantly going to gt the big desk model when I return. Is there any thing I should be looking at buying there and bringing back with me.

You could also get a Mac laptop + 27" LCD display then. MacBook Air is my favorite if you can get by with 256GB HD, or a MacBook Pro.

All Mac laptops allow screen sharing so you'd end up with 2 screens. The way it works is you close the laptop, plug in mouse, external keyboard, and display (or just the display if you're using bluetooth keyboard and mouse), the mac will detect it and fire up the display and you can continue working / playing where you left off. It's pretty nice.

As for the mouse: The standard setting is way to slow, but it works well all the way on fast. The Magic Mouse in general is the best Apple mouse ever, but still not what I'd consider a really good mouse. Apple has a history of making beautiful but unusable mouses. You can buy any USB mouse and use it with the Mac though. Logitech is great, for example. Another interesting device is the Magic Trackpad - a trackpad for desktops. I love the trackpad on my MacBook Pro so I'd probably get that.

As for viruses: Oh, please! Mac Viruses have been prophesied by publications that are very close to Microsoft/WinTel - like PC World, and ZDNet. That's simply FUD and/or sensationalism. Being vigilant about Mac viruses makes just about as much sense as being vigilant about lighning when the skies are blue. It's possible - but so unlikely as to be meaningless. Rest assured that the day that an actual Mac Virus / Trojan is released in the wild, and starts affecting computers, there will be a press echo so huge your wife will know about it. So that's your warning. Until that day - forget about it. By the way OS X Lion makes it much harder, again, to create Mac viruses - in the end I don't think anyone will bother outside of university proof of concepts.

There's one exception you should know about though: That is pirated software from wares sites. Stay away from that - malware can be hidden in those things. You have to manually install it yourself and provide your password though so it's really a case where no one else is to blame. Don't do that and you're safe. Mac Anti Virus software vendors are snake oil salesmen.

Edited by nikster

Post deleted regarding pirated copies. OSX requires purchasing a license for installing. Also note the Apple EULA:

2 . Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

I realize the above EULA is pretty volatile subject in various forums with strong debates as to legal/illegal.

The Mac OS X EULA forbids installations of Mac OS X on a "non-Apple-branded computer".[2] On July 3, 2008, Apple filed a lawsuit against Psystar Corporation[12] for violating this restriction, among other claims. The courts granted the claim to Apple.

More crucially though, the whole point of getting a Mac is buying into the concept of having hardware and OS specifically designed for each other, and tightly controlled. If you give up the Apple branded hardware then what you end up with is having to tinker to make it work; so it kind of defeats the purpose. People who don't mind tinkering a little can use Linux.

Legally though it's just an EULA, end users don't go to jail for breaking it. ;) It's on the same level as jail-breaking your iPod or iPhone: that's against the EULA too. To be honest there are so many pages in the damned thing that I'm pretty sure just about any user will end up breaking a couple of its rules without even trying.

I agree Macs are great computers and you probably should get one .I use a Windows comp. running Windows 7 and it is stable easy to use and very responsive system so please Mac users you can l o v e your woderfull machines without bashing Windows .

maybe im of touch but why do some peoples say apple and some mac are they not they same logos very similar think i would go with apple as been around longer than mac sure i remember them when i think about it

Mac stands for MacIntosh, which is a type of apple... The computers were called Apple MacIntosh Computers back in the1990's...

The OP stated "I am approaching it with the attitude that it might last me the rest of my life." Computers are outdated after about 5 years. Sure I have old computers that still work, like an Apple 3400C that is 16 years old, but you can't even surf the internet on it now. It still will scan, print and run MS Office though and makes a decent FAX machine. smile.gif I still use Apple computers, but I doubt I would ever buy an iMac. The MacBook Pro I have I just had the logic board replaced for free, but it was under extended warranty. A friend that bought a new Dell laptop has had many more problems than I ever had with Apple Computers. Considering what you use a computer for, especially gaming, you should probably stick with a Windows desktop machine...

Mac stands for MacIntosh, which is a type of apple... The computers were called Apple MacIntosh Computers back in the1990's...

The first Mac was released in 1984.

I had one, pretty much a pre-requisite as I also worked for them.

Wasn't there an issue with the brand name Apple, because of Apple Records? I know that issue has finally been resolved now...

Wasn't there an issue with the brand name Apple, because of Apple Records? I know that issue has finally been resolved now...

Yes.

Apple have been at the centre of many lawsuits over the years........ google apple lawsuits, over 23 million results.

To clear up some confusion: Apple Records had a contract with Apple, Inc that basically said all is well as long as Apple, Inc. doesn't enter the music business. With iTunes, Apple kinda did anyway, and the lawsuits kept coming for years. Now they've kissed and made up and Apple is officially selling the entire Beatles collection in iTunes since last year. Apple Records is probably wondering why they didn't do this in the first place as the Beatles sell like hotcakes on iTunes.

The first Apple was the Macintosh, or Mac, supposedly because Steve Jobs once worked on an Apple orchard and liked the taste.

Currently Apple uses the "Mac" name for its computer line, as in "MacBook". "Mac" is the generic term for an Apple computer at Apple (and in general), as opposed to other products they make, e.g. iPhone, iPod, iPad. Mac OS X is the operating system used on those computers.

Kinda OT, all of this... ?!

Edited by nikster

To clear up some confusion: Apple Records had a contract with Apple, Inc that basically said all is well as long as Apple, Inc. doesn't enter the music business. With iTunes, Apple kinda did anyway, and the lawsuits kept coming for years. Now they've kissed and made up and Apple is officially selling the entire Beatles collection in iTunes since last year. Apple Records is probably wondering why they didn't do this in the first place as the Beatles sell like hotcakes on iTunes.

The first Apple was the Macintosh, or Mac, supposedly because Steve Jobs once worked on an Apple orchard and liked the taste.

Currently Apple uses the "Mac" name for its computer line, as in "MacBook". "Mac" is the generic term for an Apple computer at Apple (and in general), as opposed to other products they make, e.g. iPhone, iPod, iPad. Mac OS X is the operating system used on those computers.

Kinda OT, all of this... ?!

Yes, this is sort of OT now, but........

The lawsuits started well before iTunes, as soon as MIDI controllers were made for The Mac and digital sound edit software was written, the lawyers pounced, I don't think the individual Beatles themselves could care less, it was a money making exercise for the law firms.

And the first Apple was called The Apple, back in 1976, eight years before the first Macintosh. The computer immediately prior to the Macintosh was called The Lisa, ridiculously expensive and didn't sell well so they trimmed it down.

The answer to the OP is........

If it is within your budget, buy one, it will do everything you want and you will not be disappointed, or more importantly, not frustrated.

I could freeze a PC by just looking at one.

Blood Pressure went through roof.

Bought an I Mac the one with a Half dome and never looked back.

Yes when a Mac locks up, usually by giving too many Commands. You need to switch OFF then ON.

Not a problem now as they auto remember and useful for me as idiots keep switching off my Condo electricity.

Now have 19 inch I mac and 13 inch Macbook Pro.

john

Might buy a 27 incher in a month or so.

If you don't know what you're doing, op, and would like to join the 'look at me' crowd so that you, too, can feel superior over the degenerate Windows masses, go for it. To be fair, there's not much in it nowadays, and you can get yourself as good a set-up, fully-upgradeable PC for half the price. Also bear in mind the hassles with upgrading and those dodgy iMac screens. On the virus argument, Mac is absolutely not infallible, and if that system were as popular as Windows, it's users would be just as targeted. If you're worried about viruses, go with Linux; Ubuntu works well.

Finally someone to back me up against the almost religious adoration of Macs. ;) I don't completely agree though, specifically:

* Sure, Macs are a lot more expensive, but they also look and feel the part. Apple also comes up with genuinely clever innovations, which must have been dreamed up and engineered by genuinely clever and expensive people, so they cost more. A Seiko watch is also more expensive than something from Kad Luang, and people don't mind to pay the premium. So if you got the money, then the price argument doesn't really apply.

* On Linux being less malware prone: Again this is because it has such insignificant market share in the consumer desktop market, and because there are a billion different flavors of Linux so if you're going to write malware for Linux then good luck trying to make it work across the board, for limited benefit due to the small market size, AND in the knowledge that most users will be geeks who aren't as easily fooled as your granny using a Mac in the rock solid belief that they's immune.

The main reason Linux does not get viruses is because in order for a virus to execute the user has to enter a password to let it execute, Windows on the other hand is over zealous and executes anything that has .exe including viruses. I switched to Linux 4 months ago up until then I was a hard core Microsoft user since the 1980's but now I see the light, the simplicity, the lack of lock ups, restarts and reboots not to mention no viruses, malware and I really do not miss all of the pop up bubbles assuming I do not know what is going on and am incapable of keeping my system up to date on my own.

The main reason Linux does not get viruses is because in order for a virus to execute the user has to enter a password to let it execute

The main reason is because it is based on Unix, like the Mac OS ..... much harder to hack and the script kiddies like easy targets.

The main reason is because it is based on Unix, like the Mac OS ..... much harder to hack and the script kiddies like easy targets.

I think Winnie explained that much better, above: Linux is basically immune because of minuscule market share, because it's hard to write Linux software that runs on all flavors, because installing anything is a pain, and because Linux users are largely geeks who will actually heed operating system warnings like "Enter your password to install this".

Mac users are immune thanks to the fact that there are no active exploits in the wilds (with the exception of wares sites). Yeah it might change at some point in the future but why worry about that now? Unless you like worrying in general, maybe nothing better to do?

You might remember there was some problem recently with Mac malware - it wasn't really a virus, more like a software that claimed to be an anti-virus software. Users had to enter their username and password to install it, but many did anyway as they got tricked into installing it. As a response Apple now has a feature in OS X where there's a blacklist for software that can't be installed. The blacklist is updated automatically via internet - yet another security measure...

I also want to correct the perception above - even though it seems futile as the PC crowd are hard to learn: For any Mac, you can get a PC for half the price that's also half as good. In terms of quality, battery life, screen, each little component. Apple doesn't make cheap computers, just like Mercedes doesn't make cheap cars. Nobody would say you can get a Chevy for half the price of a Mercedes. Yes you can, but you also get half the car.

The Mac tax as compared to high end Sony, Dell, HP and so on has consistently been in the $0 - $100 range over the last few years, and the Mac always has some features that no PC has, no matter what the price. When I bought my MacBook Pro, there simply was no 17" PC laptop with these features: Weighs 6.6 lb; about the size of a large PC 15" laptop; best processor available; 1920x1200 *glass* screen; 7 hour battery life. There still isn't, actually.