Driver License For Motorbikes And Scooters

Renoir

LOL! Took two of them down for a couple of hours to replace them... seems flags don't last too long here in this climate...

Urban legends aside, and just to clarify what appears to have been missed in the responses.... (although covered in great detail in other posts in TV). If you have a current MOTORCYCLE drivers license from your home country AND/or an international MOTORCYCLE drivers license, obtaining a Thai 1-year temporary MOTORCYCLE drivers license is easy - no tests either written or practical. It is a bit of a wait but you can obtain it easily at the Motor Vehicle office on Hang Dong Road in CM. You also require your proof of residency as well (can get that confirmed at the immigration office).

However, if you have a foreign AUTOMOBILE drivers license, and wish a Thai motorcycle license, you must write a simple (computer) test and do a practical demonstation that you can ride a cycle. You must also provide your own cycle. Also done at the same office.

It must be mentioned that you must have a long-stay (work or retirement) visa to get a drivers license. You cannot get one with a tourist visa.

Good Day 'V'Thats what I pm'd to the OP. As he is looking at spending some time here he can hopefully get the bit of plastic that will save hime a lot of problems. And, of course, saves a lot of money going into national parks. Drove past your place a week or so ago, didnt see the flag flying tho!

My apologies, my first attempt at a reply ended up distorting quotes

The following is form the Royal Thai Embassy, Hull, UK

To apply for a Thai Driving Licence it is necessary to provide the following:-

a) Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. Please note it is not possible to obtain

a Thai Driving Licence with a Tourist Visa

b ) Residence address in Thailand certified by the British Embassy in Bangkok or

by the Thai Immigration Office in the area you are staying

c) Medical Certificate stating good health, obtainable from a GP in Thailand

d) Two recent passport size photographs

e) Driving Licence of country of nationality / residence

f) Fee: Baht 105 for cars and Baht 55 for motorcycles (subject to change without notice)

With that in mind I would not be recommending anyone to come here expecting to get a license on a tourist visa. You might get one but I wouldnt be recommending it.

Edited by Dellboy218