Lpg Ngv Diesel/Lpg Etc. Price Comparison

jonboy

I have searched and searched but CURRENT information on this does not seem to exist.

If I were to buy a Fortuner/Vigo (not yet bought) which one should I chose when thinking about alternative fuel costs. I know that the NGV tank is very big and heavy and cannot go a great distance unless you have an even bigger tank installed. Also that with LPG the higher temperature effects your valves unless the problem is addressed etc. etc.

The information I can't find is an actual comparison (within Thailand) of the fuels baht/Km. The car compared does not have to be a Fortuner....this is just an example. Below are the options I think I face.

2.7 using normal 91 benzine

2.7 using LPG

2.7 using NGV

3.0 using normal diesel

3.0 using 50/50 (or whatever is the recommended %) diesel/LPG

3.0 using 50/50 (or whatever is the recommended %) diesel/NGV (is this one even possible?

I ask for Baht/Km. as petrol and diesel burn at different rates and NGV is sold by KG etc. It all starts to get a little confusing which is actually cheaper. I'm pretty sure the answer is the NGV but not overly keen on getting NGV due to tank size and wanted to know which was the close second.

As a secondary question.....does anybody know accurate conversion prices for the different systems and maybe even a few links?

Thanks

baht per km fuel cost, no doubt CNG.

but tank size in a Fortuner, take 3rd row out, fill trunk with CNG tanks and you still cant go Surat-Phuket and back on CNG. Then wait at pump 2-4 hours to fill up CNG

same engine on LPG would be second on price, and under floor tank 60liter brutto in sparewheels position would get you like 3-350km, fuelcost approx 40-50% more than CNG

but both are very lazy compared to diesel

lifetime engine, they seem to survive at least warranty period of 100k km

baht per km fuel cost, no doubt CNG.

but tank size in a Fortuner, take 3rd row out, fill trunk with CNG tanks and you still cant go Surat-Phuket and back on CNG. Then wait at pump 2-4 hours to fill up CNG

same engine on LPG would be second on price, and under floor tank 60liter brutto in sparewheels position would get you like 3-350km, fuelcost approx 40-50% more than CNG

but both are very lazy compared to diesel

lifetime engine, they seem to survive at least warranty period of 100k km

Think the 'bomb' behind the seat would worry me a bit. :ermm:

I'm quite interested in the comparison with LPG(benzine engine) and 50% LPG with diesel

Has anybody done a diesel with LPG conversion?

yep, 7,3 liter V8 Ford/International harvester in 2000, 50% LPG. Saving on fuel volume and of course fuel price as LPG cost less, and performance gain.

Not seen any good electronic controlled kit for Toyota 3,0d4d

If diesel remains at 30 baht/liter and LPG moves towards 20 baht/liter, ROI will take a long time. In addition you will drive around without a sparewheel if you want tank under floor

I have found a couple of Thai websites that do it but as you say about the LPG prices.....maybe better to hang fire a while until we see what the prices change to or if they even change at all.

Yes and while you're "hanging fire" you're loosing any additional likely savings for an undetermined amount of time or chance of recovering your investment before prices change :blink: ... In any case they aren't going to change over night any substantial amount, it will be gradual, kinda like buying into a stock on it's way up not knowing it's ceiling or future instead of while it's at the bottom, not a very well reasoned approach IMO.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have found a couple of Thai websites that do it but as you say about the LPG prices.....maybe better to hang fire a while until we see what the prices change to or if they even change at all.

Yes and while you're "hanging fire" you're loosing any additional likely savings for an undetermined amount of time or chance of recovering your investment before prices change :blink: ... In any case they aren't going to change over night any substantial amount, it will be gradual, kinda like buying into a stock on it's way up not knowing it's ceiling or future instead of while it's at the bottom, not a very well reasoned approach IMO.

kinda agree

its gonna take a while to raise cooking gas from 20 baht kg to 30-40 bahtkg, thats from 10 baht/liter to 15-20 baht/liter

if you can find an electronic controlled system, starting on pure diesel, opening LPG supply when cooling liquid hits 65C, and ajustable LPG blend 30-50%, I would do it now. In case pump LPG gets expensive and cooking gas remains cheap, get a T on the pipe to use a 15Kg cooking gas bottle when desired

I have a car that uses LPG 100% already so that is why it is O.K. for me to "hang fire"

kinda agree

its gonna take a while to raise cooking gas from 20 baht kg to 30-40 bahtkg, thats from 10 baht/liter to 15-20 baht/liter

if you can find an electronic controlled system, starting on pure diesel, opening LPG supply when cooling liquid hits 65C, and ajustable LPG blend 30-50%, I would do it now. In case pump LPG gets expensive and cooking gas remains cheap, get a T on the pipe to use a 15Kg cooking gas bottle when desired

From the newspaper articles I have read it looks as if they plan to start the price hike in August-October time(I know they have threatened to do this for about 3 years now but they seem more determined to do it this time).From what I can gather they will raise it (if they even do it at all) by about 3 baht per quarter for 4 quarters. So this is why I wanted to wait, just to see if they do it this month or next.

T pipe? Does that not sound a little unsafe? :o

kinda agree

Personally I thought it sounded verrrry questionable...

kinda agree

any vehicle with more than one CNG/LPG tank has one T for each additional tank. 8 tanks seem to me normal on 18 wheelers

kinda agree

any vehicle with more than one CNG/LPG tank has one T for each additional tank. 8 tanks seem to me normal on 18 wheelers

Yes but they are secured in position very well, in this case it sounds as if you're suggesting throwing a tank full of LP purchased from the local supplier in the trunk or the hatch of the car when the price goes up for a bit of money savings..

I wouldn't want that banging around in the back of my car lose and making it safe and secure would remove any convenience factor in refilling I should think..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just my two cents .... as the OP hasn't yet bought either a Fortuner or Vigo, similar vehicles with factory-fitted NGV systems should be considered, perhaps the Chevy Colorado or Mitsubishi Triton, because there are many warranty and reliability issues when getting a vehicle retrofitted which skew the running costs.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I own a new Ford Fiesta 1.6 and I'm considering installing LPG. Has anyone had it done on smaller hatchback cars, if so have there been any problems? I usually spend about 1000 baht on petrol per week, so I believe I could make considerable savings. But not sure if this price increase does happen.