English Translation Of Thai Marriage Certificate

I am filling in the application form in the UK for a Thai 'O' 3 month Visa to visit Thai wife.

One of the requirements is a copy of the marriage certificate, it states (in English), but my marriage certificate is in Thai, does anyone know if it is just a translation of the one page certificate that they will need to be translated to English? if it has to be legalised\certified or just a copy? Any suggestions where I can get this, preferably by EMail rather than sending bits of paper through the post.

Thanks

That is good to know, but i am still a bit worried that they could tell you that but then still refuse the application. Have you or anyone else actually got a Visa from Hull after sending a copy of the marriage certificate in Thai?

I asked the Thai Consulate in Hull about this by email, they told me I didn't need the translation, the Thai version would be fine.

I asked them on Friday and I am going to Hull on Tuesday - they said it's ok to bring just a Thai version of the marriage cert. I have a translation but I'll just give them the Thai version if you like - then I'll post to make you absolutely 105% sure you will be ok :rolleyes:.

I agree it is odd that they will take just the Thai version since their website says that they must have the English language version - guess it's just to cover them if there is any period when they do not have a Thai national working there.

That is good to know, but i am still a bit worried that they could tell you that but then still refuse the application. Have you or anyone else actually got a Visa from Hull after sending a copy of the marriage certificate in Thai?

I asked the Thai Consulate in Hull about this by email, they told me I didn't need the translation, the Thai version would be fine.

Went to Hull four weeks ago there should be no problem, there is a Thai girl working there now. :rolleyes:

That is for immigration - not for visas from a Consulate. Consulate will want copy of marriage certificate and some will also want copy of wife ID card and home register to help prove ongoing relationship. An English translation request would normally be for a marriage certificate not in Thai or English language.

That is for immigration - not for visas from a Consulate. Consulate will want copy of marriage certificate and some will also want copy of wife ID card and home register to help prove ongoing relationship. An English translation request would normally be for a marriage certificate not in Thai or English language.

I think you're right about that, I haven't applied for a visa with my marriage cert yet, but I have the email from them confirming that the Thai version will be enough.

As always - it's better to "over-visa" and do an authorized translation. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah better safe than sorry but if you're doing that in the UK it won't be cheap! Also, how would you authorise it? Get the Thai consulate to stamp it? :lol:

Really, I can't see why an official Thai government office would require an English version of a document produced by another official Thai government office.

I know, I know, I'm applying logic again! Silly me :)

I have also had a reply to my Email enquiry, saying they do not require an English translation.

Strange that it states they need and English translation on their documentation, the only reasons that I can think they would require this is if they had a English (who cannot read Thai) admin persons working there, or if they are trying to generate business for the translation service that they offer. Anyway I will send the Thai copy, and also a translation that I will do myself (not legalised) it does not say it needs to be legalised.