Discussion At Immigration Today

gennisis

OP. you were in an Immigration Office. That's where a legalistic view is taken of such matters as nationality, and your nationality is what it says in your passport - British - the same as all the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish presenting themselves for the same process (assuming the latter haven't exercised their right to present an Irish passport instead). It's fine to be proud of your heritage and identity, but no IO gives a flying fart about anything like that, and you're wasting your time trying to make such facile points to them.

When I worked on the desk at Heathrow I used to smile at the American tourists who, against the 'Nationality' line on the landing card would put their genealogy - wonderful concoctions like Irish/Jewish/Polish, and so on. And then there were the ones that used to put 'Caucasian', and would get horribly confused when you asked them "What's the weather like in Caucasia at the moment?"

Caucasia.. it has a certain ring to it doesnt it... where you from Ohh Eastern Caucasia.. you lucky bugger you.

When I lived in Tennessee for a few years Id invariably get .. "where ya all from" question. Most times my answer of Australia was responded to with either " Geee Id love to go to Europe" or " gee you speak English right good".... of course rural eastern TN was the shallow end of the genetic gene pool.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Good question Monty,

apart from the the Great North Road, now called the A1, and some fancy plumbing for the era,at Bath.

Basically,sweet F***A**

But i'm sure some history nut will Crucify me for saying that,

oh dam_n! didn't they do that as well?

Edited by MAJIC

Ill always be English and never be british... Just because a passport says british which i have no control over it still will never make me say british when asked... I can remember an american in vegas saying hey ur british,, I said no im English,, he looked confused haha

Go on accuse me of being Glaswegian...I dare you....

I went to Glasgow once...

And...................

Ill always be English and never be british... Just because a passport says british which i have no control over it still will never make me say british when asked... I can remember an american in vegas saying hey ur british,, I said no im English,, he looked confused haha

Go on accuse me of being Glaswegian...I dare you....

I went to Glasgow once...

And...................

I think that the word 'once' probably answers your question...

Good question Monty,

apart from the the Great North Road, now called the A1, and some fancy plumbing for the era,at Bath.

Basically,sweet F***A**

They kept the marauding Northern tribes out of good old England !! Although it wasn't called England then . What it will be called in 1500 years is anybody's guess . EDLland ?

I was born in Belfast and I have an Irish passport, as does my brother who was born in Uganda. It's something to do with your parents and/or grandparents having been born there. I think.

I know at least 2 or 3 Americans with Irish passports because their grandparents had been born in Ireland.

Bahh to the naysayers.

Though worlds may change and go awry

While there is still one voice to cry

There'll always be an England

This YouTube video brought a tear to my eye and I'm not even British or English or whatever the heck it is you're fighting about.

Should be Englands national anthem. :D

jb1

My country, England, became a foreign land years ago.

Where I came from, today it is more pertaining to South East Asia rather than as a part of old England. This means that my roots have all gone anyway.

I always say I`m British at Immigration because that`s what they expect, so why create problems? Just get the stamp for another year and continue on with your business without any hassles.

I coiuldn`t give a rat`s behind if I had to tell Immigration that I am half Mohican Indian and half Zulu, providing I get my visa. Who cares?.

As the wise man says; anything for an easy life and also keeping in mind that the Immigration officers have long memories towards wiseguys and those that give them a hard time.

As for the OP, he should try waving his flags in areas like Southall or Brixton. I`m sure it would go down like a flag house on fire over there.

My rat is officially offended ;)

I agree with you o/p. I always put English as my nationality any any forms I need to fill in. I think I am right in saying that in all sporting competitions there is no such thing as a British team.

jb1

British Lions rugby team?

And yes, it's foggy here all the time, and we stop everything at 3pm for tea, all wear flat caps and keep ferrets. saai.gif

wasn't that the basis of the TV series 'Last of The Summer Wine'?

The little guy kept ferrets - one in his trousers as I recall

news-graphics-2008-_659676a.jpg

Edited by Atmos

who is English these days?

Lyrics for England, Half English by Billy Bragg

My mother was half English and I'm half English too

I'm a great big bundle of culture tied up in the red white and blue

I'm a fine example of your Essex man

And I'm well familiar with the Hindustan

Cos my neighbours are half English and I'm half English too

My breakfast was half English and so am I you know

I had a plate of Marmite soldiers washed down with a cappuccino

And I have a veggie curry about once a week

The next day I fry it up as bubble and squeak

Cos my appetites half English and I'm half English too

Dance with me to this very English melody

From morris dancing to Morrissey

all that stuff came from across the sea

Britannia, she's half English, she speaks Latin at home

St George was born in the Lebanon, how he got here I don't know

And those three lions on your shirt

They never sprang from England's dirt

Edited by Atmos

Good question Monty,

Basically,sweet F***A**

The aqueduct...?

off topic - but maybe someone here knows

I have a question - a while back talking ancestry with an Englishman who said that where he was born was once inside the Wales border - when his his great-grandparents lived there (or could have been great-great-grandparents). He was about 80 so could be talking ? mid-late 1800s I suppose?

Sorry no more details, just wondered if there was fact in this tale.

off topic - but maybe someone here knows

I have a question - a while back talking ancestry with an Englishman who said that where he was born was once inside the Wales border - when his his great-grandparents lived there (or could have been great-great-grandparents). He was about 80 so could be talking ? mid-late 1800s I suppose?

Sorry no more details, just wondered if there was fact in this tale.

It's complicated :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales%E2%80%93England_border

I don't think we get the choice. But if it was up to me you wouldn't be British.

SC

I agree with you o/p. I always put English as my nationality any any forms I need to fill in. I think I am right in saying that in all sporting competitions there is no such thing as a British team.

jb1

There is no such team that I am aware of

jb1

Oops there is.

jb1

jb1

Oops there is.

jb1

Until recently, the Home Nations fielded a unified Great Britain rugby league team.

Recently the Lions have been referred to as the British and Irish Lions.

Are there any other national teams which represent people from two nations, as the Irish rugby team does?

I still don't know how we'll compete in the Olympic rugby; if it was down to me, we'd have a competition amongst the home nations, with the winner representing the Kingdom at the next Olympics; I think you would get a better team that way than by selecting players from several nationalities. I suppose it would stick in the craw a little bit to support an English team, but I managed it for the Ashes...

SC

I was born in Belfast and I have an Irish passport, as does my brother who was born in Uganda. It's something to do with your parents and/or grandparents having been born there. I think.

I know at least 2 or 3 Americans with Irish passports because their grandparents had been born in Ireland.

I believe anyone born in Ireland is entitled to an Irish passport, so illegal immigrants sneak into Britain to give birth in Ulster, and get the bairn an Irish passport.

For all I know, that could actually be true...

SC

it is a strange situation

I follow motor racing, often see references to the British drivers Jensen Button and Lewis Hamilton, and in USA Indy car it's the British driver Dario Franchitti

I wonder if they were asked I suspect they would prefer English, English, Scottish, respectively? Maybe it is just laziness from the (non British) commentators/writers?

Never understood the irregularity between Commonwealth Games (individual country) and Olympics (combined). Must be a good historical reason, somewhere.

The British and Irish Lions rugby side? I thought that was just to try to be competitive against the southern hemisphere sides.

Either of you guys any good at football. :whistling:

Not bad considering the English had Colonised nothing at that point in time,probably because we never had a Navy.

Mai Pen Rai.

Apart, of course, from most of what is now called England!

(English and proud of it; but accepting that to the world's bureaucracies I'm British.)