Discussion At Immigration Today

gennisis

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently the Lions have been referred to as the British and Irish Lions.

That is interesting SC, as I have only ever known them as the British and Irish Lions, so I researched it and it is a relatively new term.

Thanks for that.

Why split hairs. You're all a bunch of pikeys anyway. :whistling:

It's hard to refute that comment

Actually its not hard to refute ignorant comments,and silly point scoring,

although I know what you are refering to,in your wisdom the word "Pikeys" is not in any Dictionary that I know of,

so please explain the word for all of us to see,and by all means quote a Dictionary reference.

Typical British pedantic twit.

What, you've never heard of a joke. Look that up, perhaps you'll gain a sense of humor while your at it.

it is a strange situation

I follow motor racing, often see references to the British drivers Jensen Button and Lewis Hamilton, and in USA Indy car it's the British driver Dario Franchitti

I wonder if they were asked I suspect they would prefer English, English, Scottish, respectively? Maybe it is just laziness from the (non British) commentators/writers?

I have heard American commentators refer to Dario as both British and Scottish. More often, they say he is Scottish.

Funny thing, I had always thought he was Italian as he surely doesn't look Scottish and with that name, who'd have thought.

I was born in Belfast and I have an Irish passport, as does my brother who was born in Uganda. It's something to do with your parents and/or grandparents having been born there. I think.

I know at least 2 or 3 Americans with Irish passports because their grandparents had been born in Ireland.

I believe anyone born in Ireland is entitled to an Irish passport, so illegal immigrants sneak into Britain to give birth in Ulster, and get the bairn an Irish passport.

For all I know, that could actually be true...

SC

It is not quite as easy as that SC, there have been many rule changes over the years, 1999 and early eighties from memory, but anyone born in the Island of Ireland is not entitled to citizenship as a birth right for the bairn and mother.

Although you are right it was a scam of yesteryear, and to be particularly pedantic on this so pedantic thread, Ulster comprises both sides of the gerrymandered border.

OP. you were in an Immigration Office. That's where a legalistic view is taken of such matters as nationality, and your nationality is what it says in your passport - British - the same as all the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish presenting themselves for the same process (assuming the latter haven't exercised their right to present an Irish passport instead). It's fine to be proud of your heritage and identity, but no IO gives a flying fart about anything like that, and you're wasting your time trying to make such facile points to them.

When I worked on the desk at Heathrow I used to smile at the American tourists who, against the 'Nationality' line on the landing card would put their genealogy - wonderful concoctions like Irish/Jewish/Polish, and so on. And then there were the ones that used to put 'Caucasian', and would get horribly confused when you asked them "What's the weather like in Caucasia at the moment?"

Ah, but putting "American" could get confused with those folks from the northern cold counties, or even those from the southern locals. Better to just state "USA."

Reckon about everything north of Panama might be considered "American" by some people.

Mac

Only un-enlightened people would consider it that as only "Americans" from the USA are referred to as Americans all others are referred to by their country's national identity I.E. Brazil= Brazilians, Canada= Canadians, Mexico= Mexicans and so on...

Edited by WarpSpeed

The Thais understand very well the concept of nationality (sanchart) versus ethnicity (cheuachart).

The OP confuses the two.

He is "sanchart" British but "cheuachart" English.

Thai immigration couldn't care less what your "cheuachart" is...it's all about the passport you hold.

Except that British, Irish, Scottish and Welsh are not ethnicities (sp) but nationalities.

So there is such thing as an English, Welsh, and Scottish passport? You can't call it a nationality unless it is an independent nation with its own passport.

The English, the Welsh, the Scottish and the Northern& Southern Irish are ALL nationalities in their own right. We just also happen to use a single passport

You're not a Brit are you?

Hey Rakers you did mention Southern Ireland and others using the same passport, that's enough to get any hackles up and lead to an uprising for sure. :D

However, passports and citizenship and the applying for, as far as I am aware, date to long before approx 2000, but that is an Irish tale, not an American one and hence, long and sad.

And just wondering just how long this thread will last, as interesting and pedantic that it is

<pointless pedantry> The N. Irish are not British. The passport is for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland</pointless pedantry>

The majority of the people in Northern Ireland consider themselves to be the most British of any people,

Not bad considering the English had Colonised nothing at that point in time,probably because we never had a Navy.

Mai Pen Rai.

Apart, of course, from most of what is now called England!

(English and proud of it; but accepting that to the world's bureaucracies I'm British.)

Ageed.

Unfortunately we have no choice and acceptance has been forced on us,in many other ways too.

although I know what you are refering to,in your wisdom the word "Pikeys" is not in any Dictionary that I know of,

so please explain the word for all of us to see,and by all means quote a Dictionary reference.

Typical British pedantic twit.

What, you've never heard of a joke. Look that up, perhaps you'll gain a sense of humor while your at it.

I don't believe a real Pikey would appreciate your sense of Humour,not that you would ever call one a Pikey to his face.

BTW I'm English!

OP. you were in an Immigration Office. That's where a legalistic view is taken of such matters as nationality, and your nationality is what it says in your passport - British - the same as all the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish presenting themselves for the same process (assuming the latter haven't exercised their right to present an Irish passport instead). It's fine to be proud of your heritage and identity, but no IO gives a flying fart about anything like that, and you're wasting your time trying to make such facile points to them.

When I worked on the desk at Heathrow I used to smile at the American tourists who, against the 'Nationality' line on the landing card would put their genealogy - wonderful concoctions like Irish/Jewish/Polish, and so on. And then there were the ones that used to put 'Caucasian', and would get horribly confused when you asked them "What's the weather like in Caucasia at the moment?"

Ah, but putting "American" could get confused with those folks from the northern cold counties, or even those from the southern locals. Better to just state "USA."

Reckon about everything north of Panama might be considered "American" by some people.

Mac

Only un-enlightened people would consider it that as only "Americans" from the USA are referred to as Americans all others are referred to by their country's national identity I.E. Brazil= Brazilians, Canada= Canadians, Mexico= Mexicans and so on...

My last cruise in the US Navy we went to Chile and Peru we where told if asked where you are from do not say America as these people are also Americans

off topic - but maybe someone here knows

I have a question - a while back talking ancestry with an Englishman who said that where he was born was once inside the Wales border - when his his great-grandparents lived there (or could have been great-great-grandparents). He was about 80 so could be talking ? mid-late 1800s I suppose?

Sorry no more details, just wondered if there was fact in this tale.

My Welsh friend, now dead, often talked about Wales being much larger at one time extending beyond Liverpool and into Eastern England.

re Dario Franchitti

I have heard American commentators refer to Dario as both British and Scottish. More often, they say he is Scottish.

Funny thing, I had always thought he was Italian as he surely doesn't look Scottish and with that name, who'd have thought.

Dario Franchitti - born 19 May 1973 (age 38) at Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland. I checked on the Indy Car site and yes it shows the Scotland flag by his name, but earlier in the year for the Indianapolis 500 he had the British flag.

A quote from
last year that covers all bases, he's a Scot and a Briton

A consummate drive from Dario Franchitti saw the Scot claim his second Indianapolis 500 victory and Britons gain all three leading places. . . .
Alex Lloyd made it a memorable day for the British as he took third place.

About 3 years ago in NZ I worked with a man from Wales, he headed off to support the great Welsh boxer Joe Calzaghe at a fight in Las Vegas.

Wiki lists JC as a Welsh professional boxer, with nicknames of The Pride of Wales and The Italian Dragon. He was born Hammersmith, London, England.

and in yesterday's news it was "Briton Lewis Hamilton . . ."

Edited by Atmos

Caucasia.. it has a certain ring to it doesnt it... where you from Ohh Eastern Caucasia.. you lucky bugger you.

When I lived in Tennessee for a few years Id invariably get .. "where ya all from" question. Most times my answer of Australia was responded to with either " Geee Id love to go to Europe" or " gee you speak English right good".... of course rural eastern TN was the shallow end of the genetic gene pool.

And I'm sure a foreigner in the "outback" would get equally intelligent comments from the locals :lol:

Remind me..is the "criminal" gene in the shallow or deep end of the pool? :D

Mac

Actually, "Mexicans" refer to their country as El País or la República not Mexico, except when talking internationally or in newspapers. At home, when they say Mexico, they are referring to Mexico City, and they DO refer to themselves as Americans. (Ha, ha, yes, even the illegals).

Complicated can of worms, isn't it?

Edited by happyrobert

Until England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland become sovereign, independent states -- with their own passports, diplomatic corps, etc., etc., then your argument is little more than an academic/pedantic one. To the rest of the world, you're all British, mate.

You really should go to google before you go any further.

No need...I'll stop by the Welsh Embassy tomorrow on my way to the office and inquire further.

Is he serious? :lol:

Until England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland become sovereign, independent states -- with their own passports, diplomatic corps, etc., etc., then your argument is little more than an academic/pedantic one. To the rest of the world, you're all British, mate.

You really should go to google before you go any further.

No need...I'll stop by the Welsh Embassy tomorrow on my way to the office and inquire further.

Is he serious? :lol:

Not sure HR. The guy just seems to be wantonly making a bit of a tool of himself.

Not sure HR. The guy just seems to be wantonly making a bit of a tool of himself.

You mean in comparison to the guy who made a scene Thai Immigration insisting that he was an English national and not British?

Yep

Although, he didn't say he wasn't British anyway.

I have my Irish days and my Scottish days - depends on the mood. But never ever ever am I English. Some people can't tell the difference, sad.

Because i speak English therefore I am English. Grrrrr

Edited by Patsycat

Must try harder. Pikey is in the dictionary and has it's origins in the mid-19C.

Even Briton has been hijacked and includes anyone born on that sacred isle. Many times I've clicked on headlines such as " Briton fighting for the Taliban." Or some such negative headline. You read the article and it's someone who has family on the India Sub-contiment

Citizen of the Republic of Yorkshire. - Definintely

English - Yes

British - Says so on my passport.

European - Not while I draw breath.

This is quite interesting. So, someone like Amy Winehouse (a Jew) should never be properly called "the English songstress Amy Winehouse" because she didn't have a drop of English blood in her? Or is it OK because she was white?

How about mixed blood people, like some of your half-breed kids?

I think a certain Mr. Hitler had expressed some thoughts in regard to purity of bloodlines...

This is quite interesting. So, someone like Amy Winehouse (a Jew) should never be properly called "the English songstress Amy Winehouse" because she didn't have a drop of English blood in her? Or is it OK because she was white?

How about mixed blood people, like some of your half-breed kids?

I think a certain Mr. Hitler had expressed some thoughts in regard to purity of bloodlines...

Are you serious?

You're not are you? You're not serious at all, you're just trolling. Nobody can genuinely get something THIS wrong. Can they? Surely not.

Don't feed the troll folks.