Yuk

Welshman

I thought it was just the bread in Thailand, but having visited Penang recently, realised it 's a pretty standard thing out here.

The bread has a sweet taste.

Bloody awful if you're having scrambled eggs etc on toast. Just what do they put in it and is there any way to get bread without this sweetness?

:o

Edited by Welshman

Just don't buy the stuff for Thais.

Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and elsewhere have lots of decent bakeries that target farang customers with whole grain breads and quality white breads without a sweet taste. :o

Edited by Judge

The thai bread in plain wrappers is unedible sweet try the Farmhouse brand available all over LOS which is less sweet or use a local bakery.

And as for the green or brown bread YUK.

Thais think of bread as a sweet even their sandwiches have ham and honey in them.

we have a few brands of sweet bread over in the states so its not just asia

that likes it. usually its sweetened with honey

whats far more disturbing is...

i went into a 7-11 in bkk and bought what i thought was a pastry. took a few bites into

it and noticed something greasy. it appeared to be some mystery meat. pork or ?

It really caught me by surprise because it wasn't refrigerated. :o

the sweet bread tasted ok but i had to spit it out. it was real greasy

Horrible isn't it.

Same in China - I had bacon & eggs on toast once and it was awful, in fact the bacon in Asia is a topic all by itself.

Eggs have always been fine though - providing they ain't pink or black. :o

Right about the bacon - seems you can't get back bacon here. And what you get is mostly fat.

Was in Tesco's the other day and was looking at a Tesco 'own brand' pack. I took it over under the light for a better look to see if I could see any traces of actual bacon. Just seemed like a strip of lard with the odd minute speck of colour in it.

we have a few brands of sweet bread over in the states so its not just asia

that likes it.  usually its sweetened with honey

whats far more disturbing is...

i went into a 7-11 in bkk and bought what i thought was a pastry. took a few bites into

it and noticed something greasy. it appeared to be some mystery meat. pork or ?

It really caught me by surprise because it wasn't refrigerated.  :o

the sweet bread tasted ok but i had to spit it out. it was real greasy

Sounds like a pierogi .

I had a homemade pizza once that was so sweet it might as well been a cake with peperoni.

I enjoy sweets as much as anyone. Even sugary bread is fine, but not for making a ham or cheese sandwich. There are limits to what I regard as enjoyable. I know, it’s all a matter of what you’re accustomed to. For me, there are some things I’m not accustomed to and have no intention of trying on a regular basis. Thai-style pizza is one of those things.

Our daughter bought a cold Thai-style pizza for me somehow thinking it was the same as in the US and that I’d really enjoy it. Bless her heart fior being so thoughtful, but I didn’t have the heart to spit it out in front of everyone with all eyes staring at me watching for signs of a thrill on my face as I enjoy this savory western treat. I ate a few nibbles of it, smiled, and promptly left the rest for the grandkids, the soi dogs, or the garbage can.

The veggies and meats are fine, but the crust tasted like a stale breakfast sweet roll. And the crowning glory of the pizza is the sauce. Forget about tomato sauce. These babies are slathered with an inch thick layer of sugary mayonnaise. It’s not that I don’t like mayo. Just not as a pizza sauce. A couple of bites of one of these lethal pizzas are guaranteed to turn your arteries into solid stone and make your heart gleefully explode out of your chest.

Yum! Doesn’t this look delicious?

thaipizza015gz.jpg

It is for this reason I avoid places such as the S&P bakery chain. I once bought a scrumptious-smelling sausage roll from there, bit into it and discovered it was chock full of sugar. I didn't have any napkins to spit it into, so I swallowed it and it made my stomach queasy! I didn't vomit, though. They also sell disgustingly dry biscuits... womit! I've always wondered how a diabetic would function in Thailand... or maybe there aren't any because they die simply after inhaling the aroma of any food...

I thought it was just the bread in Thailand, but having visited Penang recently, realised it 's a pretty standard thing out here.

Bloody awful if you're having scrambled eggs etc on toast. Just what do they put in it and is there any way to get bread without this sweetness?

:D

TM, I certainly expected something a bit more intelligent than this thread from you, unless of course, it us just a post to get the misogynistic fellas posting more of their crap. In which case, I don't really want to hear it. Enough already. Must we fan flames that don't need to exist in the first place?

TM, I think, perhaps, you are just a stirrer  :o

Sbk,

There is a function in all threads.

Even those that just help increase one's "ignore" user list.

It dose make for a much more efficient Thaivisa.

That is, unless you are attracted to the misogynist type.

In that case the old mates can expose themselves, shake hands (or whatever body part they use for greetings) and stumble through their one-line attempts at the English language.

On the other hand, maybe - just maybe, someone might write an intelligent point of view.

What have you got to lose?

To the op

if you don't like the bread don't eat it