Investing In Commercial Real Estate

Hi All,

I have a question on real estate investment and I hope someone here can help.

Due to the recent Thai political elections and the US economy situation right now, I’m afraid my USD savings and revenue will lose its buying power very quickly from a combination of stronger THB and inflation. For that and other reasons, I’m considering investing in real estate in Thailand.

I’m thinking about buying commercial property, little office, shop or something that can bring a steady revenue in THB and it will also be a hedge against inflation and a stronger THB. My budget would be around 5-6 million THB (which I would hope would bring in around 20-25kTHB/month, at least I hope).

Is it possible to buy this type of property on a tourist VISA? If so, what are the next steps I should take? I speak no Thai, although been living in Thailand for 3 years (spend most of the year here and the rest overseas). How one would go about paying local income taxes (if any) on this revenue if I’m not on a work permit.

Any comments or suggestions would he highly appreciated

Thank you.

I would suggest your best investment would be through a Thailand property fund. They are returning around 8 to 10% annually

RichRichie,

That's a great idea and something I have considered before, however I couldn't find anything off-shore, I came across one fund from Aberdeen but it seems you need a working permir for that (?).

If you know about any others, please let me know, I'm highly interested.