Aa Insurance Brokers

WMHand

We have had written thru AA five insurance policies in Chiang Mai. These policies were written with their recommendation to be the best coverage available. As of this date all of the claims we have

submitted have been refused. They don't have the correct forms or the knowledge on how to correctly submit claims. The people that work at AA do not have the knowledge including the owner to call

themselves an insurance broker.

Wilmar

For example on our homeowners policy we were told we had coverage of 3,000,000 baht on unit interior including furniture and electrical equipment. We had a short circuit in the safety box which did 40,000 baht damage but when we submitted the claim we were informed us because there wasn't a fire we weren't covered. On our medical insurance it states that it

covers everything doctors, dental, prescriptions etc. We were informed to pay then submit the bills with a specific form. For an example we used McCormick Hospital for fluid in the

ear it was refused. They wouldn't pay to have teeth cleaned because they took an x ray.. When I had surgery at a Chiang Mai Hospital the hospital stated they could use the insurance

card but when they called the company the agent informed me because I tried to use my insurance card I was cancelled so we paid the bill. (140,000 baht)

This will probably get closed down quickly but i would add that I just became aware of an error made on one of my policies through them. I was very surprised when I learned of the error.

Is the medical policy you are referring to an Allianz policy by any chance?

When I had surgery at a Chiang Mai Hospital the hospital stated they could use the insurance card but when they called the company the agent informed me because I tried to use my insurance card I was cancelled so we paid the bill. (140,000 baht)

This seems to be a trend in Thailand. We purchased some insurance policies through Tesco Lotus last year. We made one claim and it went through O.K. (but we had to wait 3 months and make numerous calls to get the checks in the mail). The 2nd time we submitted a claim they immediately cancelled the policy, returned a pro-rated portion of the premium, then denied the claim. They stated in the letter that they had the absolute right to deny claims and cancel policies.

Edited by elektrified

I had what seemed like an excellent household policy from NZI which is part of the Insurance Australia Group and claims not only to be a leader in domestic insurance but the foremost health care insurance provider in Thailand. During my second year as insured I had to file a claim under the public liability section in the policy as our dog damaged a neighbour's car. They paid up in full and in a timely way and I recommended them to a number of people. When it came time to renew, they declined to cover me, sending a rude little email saying "Sum paid out less than premiums collected - cover denied". The broker (not AA, I hasten to add) was of no help.

These people clearly have little idea about the principles of underwriting. You can see the point of not wishing to take on a risk where the insured seems to have a repeated record of claims over a period but to refuse insurance after one claim is not only bad business but dumb as they'd have recovered their money in another 18 months.

What do I now do when filling in my next proposal when it comes to the question "Have you ever been refused insurance? I can imagine the sceptical reaction at any real insurance company when I try to sell them that story.

Bearing in mind their claim to be strong in the health insurance sector, I'd advise anyone looking for cover to look elsewhere.

Edited by Greenside

medical insurance is Aprilmobilite April International

I have my health insurance with April Mobile,I bought it 2 years ago.Claimed once for a gastro complaint 180,000THB never had a problem.

I used Gary at AA Insurance they have always been very helpful and pleasant.

For example on our homeowners policy we were told we had coverage of 3,000,000 baht on unit interior including furniture and electrical equipment. We had a short circuit in the safety box which did 40,000 baht damage but when we submitted the claim we were informed us because there wasn't a fire we weren't covered. On our medical insurance it states that it

covers everything doctors, dental, prescriptions etc. We were informed to pay then submit the bills with a specific form. For an example we used McCormick Hospital for fluid in the

ear it was refused. They wouldn't pay to have teeth cleaned because they took an x ray.. When I had surgery at a Chiang Mai Hospital the hospital stated they could use the insurance

card but when they called the company the agent informed me because I tried to use my insurance card I was cancelled so we paid the bill. (140,000 baht)

After reading your post,do you think the reason for the bad service is because you claim alot.

I had what seemed like an excellent household policy from NZI which is part of the Insurance Australia Group and claims not only to be a leader in domestic insurance but the foremost health care insurance provider in Thailand. During my second year as insured I had to file a claim under the public liability section in the policy as our dog damaged a neighbour's car. They paid up in full and in a timely way and I recommended them to a number of people. When it came time to renew, they declined to cover me, sending a rude little email saying "Sum paid out less than premiums collected - cover denied". The broker (not AA, I hasten to add) was of no help.

These people clearly have little idea about the principles of underwriting. You can see the point of not wishing to take on a risk where the insured seems to have a repeated record of claims over a period but to refuse insurance after one claim is not only bad business but dumb as they'd have recovered their money in another 18 months.

What do I now do when filling in my next proposal when it comes to the question "Have you ever been refused insurance? I can imagine the sceptical reaction at any real insurance company when I try to sell them that story.

Bearing in mind their claim to be strong in the health insurance sector, I'd advise anyone looking for cover to look elsewhere.

NZI did exactly the same to me some years ago and I received exactly the same rude email as Greenside. Following the advice of a well connected friend in the Bangkok insurance industry I telephoned the then English CEO of NZI Thailand who said he would investigate. He called back after a few days and claimed that the problem was caused by a cultural problem of local underwriting clerks not wishing to bother their superiors who they were supposed to refer renewals where a claim had been made, as a result they the clerks would just incorrectly refused the renewal without their superiors knowledge. He claimed that the company would embark on a retraining programme following the matter being brought to his attention in addition to being happy to renew my policy.

Given Greenside's more recent experience this retraining has clearly failed. IAG Group are a major insurance company and should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. This sort of behaviour is exactly why people view insurance companies as dishonest.

The training given to those who sell/respond to insurance seems somewhat similar to the real estate business here. They have given "on the job training" a whole new meaning to the consumer/claimant.

NZI did exactly the same to me some years ago and I received exactly the same rude email as Greenside. Following the advice of a well connected friend in the Bangkok insurance industry I telephoned the then English CEO of NZI Thailand who said he would investigate. He called back after a few days and claimed that the problem was caused by a cultural problem of local underwriting clerks not wishing to bother their superiors who they were supposed to refer renewals where a claim had been made, as a result they the clerks would just incorrectly refused the renewal without their superiors knowledge. He claimed that the company would embark on a retraining programme following the matter being brought to his attention in addition to being happy to renew my policy.

Given Greenside's more recent experience this retraining has clearly failed. IAG Group are a major insurance company and should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. This sort of behaviour is exactly why people view insurance companies as dishonest.

My attempts to have this dumb decision raised at a higher level met with zero response.

If anyone is looking for good car insurance I can strongly recommend Safety Insurance. The company is now owned by NMRA Australia and they provide excellent service. I have been insured with them now for nine years and have made three claims, one after a fairly large accident. They paid up in full without any problems and renewed my policy each time.

Can anyone recommend a good insurance broker that sells policies which pay out?

My house insurance is coming up and after reading this thread i am a little concerned.

I have claimed a couple of times on my health insurance which I purchased through Thaivisa/AA - the Thaihealth health policy which I had no issues claiming, also one contents claim under my AXA policy with them after a break in, AXA valued the goods at nothing and AA were able to make them pay out a reasonable amount rather than the pittance AXA were trying to push on me.

If you have a legitimate claim and the insurance company and the agent have denied coverage, write to the Insurance Bureau of Thailand giving them a detailed synopsis of the situation. It may take six months or so, but if the Insurance Bureau deems that your claim is justified they will give you a hearing with the agent/insurer.

You can get the address of the insurance bureau in Bangkok by googling it.

If you have a legitimate claim and the insurance company and the agent have denied coverage, write to the Insurance Bureau of Thailand giving them a detailed synopsis of the situation. It may take six months or so, but if the Insurance Bureau deems that your claim is justified they will give you a hearing with the agent/insurer.

You can get the address of the insurance bureau in Bangkok by googling it.

That's a useful thing to know but, as you'll see from my post and several others, having a claim denied is only one of the complaints many have about insurance companies here (well NZI, in particular) and having your cover withdrawn just because the insurer is not ahead in terms of income at renewal time can be just as serious. I dread to think of what might happen if I had had their health care policy and was mid way through expensive treatment when they decided to pull the plug - it would be impossible to get cover from then on. If you confess that you've been refused continuing cover when you next try to get insurance you either get a huge hike in premium or they simply won't consider you.

Having your policy cancelled or a renewal declined is the equivalent of having a criminal record as far as the insurance industry goes. No one bothers to go into the facts, they just assume that the company who did it knows something that they don't.

I have only had 1 claim but dealt with very well by AA, no complaints

Seems this moaning "Wilma" is a professional at multiple insurance claims - I knew a few in the UK who made a living by ripping off insurance companies (until they were found out !) - seems Wilma has also been rumbled

I have used Gary for all my insurance ranging from health to home, including 2 cars and also pet insurance. Ive got nothing but praise for him

Any successful claims?

Just a small one on health insurance, went without problems.

I have used Gary for all my insurance ranging from health to home, including 2 cars and also pet insurance. Ive got nothing but praise for him

Me too. Just had a disappointing encounter with changing my car and insurance quotations from various car dealers, linked to insurance companies and Gary came up trumps ...again ....by offering me a quote "like for like" with a reduced premium of significant savings, compared to other insurance agents and car dealers who all have their fingers in the pie.

Thanks Gary.....