Singapore

Ice Maiden

Wasn't sure where to post this topic but I'll try general.

I'm making a visa run to Singapore next week then after I return I will follow my Dad's visa. I would just like to know what Singapore has to offer for a short trip.

We have heard Singapore has many shops selling farang food and me and my family would like to know about the prices? Imports don't come cheap in Thailand wasn't sure if the same would apply there?

Thankyou for your advice in advance :o

ice maiden, i'd like to help, but you'd have to be more specific about 'farang' food. are you referring to english food or just anything western? pub grub or real sit down food? your description creates a price range from say S$ 20 to S$ 100+ per head, sans alcohol.

I'll put it over in travel :o

Don't go leaving us now.  :D

cv

It will only be for a week I'm sure you'll all cope :D

I just wanted to know what those of you that went to Singapore thought about it?

Good, bad?

I know Moog went there recently so I'll be expecting a reply from him!

And by farang food I mean english food avaliable in places such as supermarkets so I can take it back to Thailand. I heard their was a Marks and Spencers there, am I right?

I was there for 4 days last month.............its shopping shopping shopping all the way in Singapore................Orchard road is basically one long street full of giant shopping malls where you can find everything you could wish for (at a price of course). Yes there are at least 3 M&S's that i know of.............you can buy Harrods food there in the bottom of Takayshima Mall. Its not cheap though by any means...........know you dont drink but a pint of Heineken runs you 400 baht (thats in the cafe at the bottom of the Marriott Hotel, first time i went in there i ordered a bottle of Evian water..........200 baht!

All the designer labels are there..............you/ll have a whale of a time, take plenty of money though you/ll need it!

Ive booked back up to go back in December and next March already...........get cheap flights if book well ahead with AirAsia.

If you want to be amongst the shopping action pick a hotel on Orchard road. :o

If your a chocolate digestive fan they are available there as are jelly babies, wine gums and all your favs! (M&S)

Edited by thaiflyer1

oh i see. well there is a M&S at Wheelock Place, which is on the corner of Orchard Road and Paterson Road. its not really a supermarket and selection is limited unless your going for snack food.

supermarket variety is generally great compared to here in thailand, and you'd find lots of the things you'd want at Coldstorage, which is all over town. alternatively, for more gourmet supplies, go to Jason's Supermarket, there is one on the basement level of Orchard Towers, on Claymore Drive, just off Orchard Road. there is another at Raffles City.

if you are into wine, or perhaps daddy is, Carrefour at Suntec City has a baffling selection of french wines, many of which are on discount. some great discounts if you know what you are looking at. alcohol is expensive in singapore, but wines there are probably about half the price here in thailand.

also, another good thing to stock up on in singapore are books. go to Borders (also at Wheelock Place), or Kinokuniya at Takashimaya, which is the biggest book shop in asia, it will blow your mind.

HMV has the largest collection of hard-to-get CD's I've ever come across. Orchard Road. For pretty good restaurants and bars (albeit they're expensive), try Boat Quay and Clarke Quay.

As has already been said, Singapore is a shopper's heaven.

Good luck Yorkie(f). :o

Wasn't sure where to post this topic but I'll try general.

I'm making a visa run to Singapore next week then after I return I will follow my Dad's visa. I would just like to know what Singapore has to offer for a short trip.

We have heard Singapore has many shops selling farang food and me and my family would like to know about the prices? Imports don't come cheap in Thailand wasn't sure if the same would apply there?

Thankyou for your advice in advance  :D

Hi Icey, I live in Singapore but will be in Thailand next week.

I see you have a few tips already, so I will try not to duplicate those :D The dude has already given you some very good info.

The main farang supermarket is "Cold Storage", not as expensive as Jasons or M&S and with much bigger selection than M&S. The stock varies branch to branch, the biggest farang selection is at "Holland Village" and "Jalan Jelita" branches. BTW, Holland Village is the best place to go for a variety of expat restaurants and bars, not as touristy as Boat Quay or Clarke Quay IMHO. There is a great Irish pub called Muddy Murphy's just off Orchard Road, opposite Orchard Towers (all taxi drivers know the latter, it is Singapore's Nana).

Another good supermarket is Tanglin Market Place in the basement of Tanglin Shopping Mall, right at the top of Orchard Road across from the British Consulate (corner of Tanglin Road).

If you fancy a relaxing pub meal with a difference, go to Handle Bar on Lock Road (off Alexander Road). It is a very friendly bikers pub, with the occasional Harley riding through the bar !

As a guide to prices, if I buy a trolley of normal groceries in Cold Storage it is about S$200, or Bt 5,000. Of course, depends on what you buy :o . Everything is flown in. The cheapest wine starts at about S$15, lots at S$25, better stuff S$45. A can of beer S$3. A steak S$15. A (nice) tomato S$1.

S$1 = Bt24.

Taxi from airport to down town around S$15. Taxi flagged on street and short trip from S$2.40 to, say, S$5 to S$10.

The zoo is really good. The bird park is good. Sungei Buloh is little visited, and a bit far out, but really good at low tide - it is a mangrove area with board-walks so you can get to see all the stuff that lives there. Sentosa suits some people, but it is very commercial. Wander around China Town and Little India (it is safe to wander anywhere, anytime, even for IceMaidens :D ).

Have a good trip.

You have all been so very helpful. Thankyou Yorkie(m), phibunmike, dude, jing, thaiflyer, explorer and Vic :D

I'm happy you said that it is safe to wander anywhere because I will most probably be traveling alone. My cousin might go with me though not sure.

Thankyyyooouu :o

• 2 weeks later...

I am an Australian living in Bangkok and went to Singapore for 5 days arriving home only a few days ago.I have been 3 times & I do not think I will go again , I found them rude, unable to speak English properly, unhelpful, and selfish when walking on the footpath just bumping into people and not even saying "sorry" . I am not sure if it's the enviroment there or the way they are taught but to me Singaporeans are just a bunch of snobs. I was never said "hello" to or asked by any of the Hotels I stayed if I needed assistance. In fact 2 hotels I stayed I asked for something and never got what I requested. But of course they like to remind you how much things cost for some reason, maybe in order to put you off coming next time. I did not find any customer services of value but I think Singaporeans don't care.

I also found returning to Changi Airport difficult as the trains do not have special spaces for large luggage as like other countries. I got on a train at City Hall and had to almost sit on my bag as the train was overcrowded. I do not think Singapore is tourist friendly anymore. Sure there are things to see & do in Singapore but coming back from a nightmare was sad. Oh I would not travel Airasia again either (planes are old and I had a crack in my window). Jetstar asia was better.

I am an Australian living in Bangkok and went to Singapore for 5 days arriving home only a few days ago.I have been 3 times & I do not think I will go again  , I found them rude, unable to speak English properly, unhelpful, and selfish when walking on the footpath just bumping into people and not even saying "sorry"  . I am not sure if it's the enviroment there or the way they are taught but to me Singaporeans are just a bunch of snobs. I was never said "hello" to or asked by any of the Hotels I stayed if I needed assistance. In fact 2 hotels I stayed I asked for something and never got what I requested. But of course they like to remind you how much things cost for some reason, maybe in order to put you off coming next time. I did not find any customer services of value but I think Singaporeans don't care.

I also found returning to Changi Airport difficult as the trains do not have special spaces for large luggage as like other countries. I got on a train at City Hall and had to almost sit on my bag as the train was overcrowded. I do not think Singapore is tourist friendly anymore. Sure there are things to see & do in Singapore but coming back from a nightmare was sad. Oh I would not travel Airasia again either (planes are old and I had a crack in my window). Jetstar asia was better.

Very interesting. To me, Singapore is as good as Japan in customer service. All hotels i have stayed at were world class polished, efficient, helpful, kind.

Clean and no-tips taxis from SunCity to Changi are 8-9 S$ (5US$), I did not even know there were trains to the airport.

Airasia? Appears you picked the rock bottom of everything - accommodation, commuting, air travel. Don't come now and tell us you travelled Airasia, rode a train and stayed at Hilton.

Even if you did, your experience is undeserved but still surprising to me Singapore felt like that.

I stayed in Singapore recently and couldnt beleive how friendly the people were - even the immigration people who made an effort to say hello and smile - very different to arrival in Thailand!

The taxi drivers were nice and well presented, and I though the level of English was fantastic. very different experience to Thailand, and I loved Singapore - especially the SHOPPING :o

I stayed at Sijori Resort Sentosa & Hotel 81 Bencoolen cause they were both close to stations, aren't we all taught to take public transport as much as possible? And as far as Airasia I like to checkout other airlines it had nothing to do with money. Jetstar was almost the same price as airasia but had new planes and NO bus to the plane. Yes I am sure there are places with good service in Singapore but it's a bit hard to find. Or maybe I should have gone to the Hilton. But thats no guarantee of service. I just think the people of Singapore should be more aware of others and especially tourists and do like they are doing here in Thailand promoting people to say Hi to visitors. Singapore could not live without tourists.

I found the people to be rather friendly. Whenever English was a barrier, Mandarin (despite the different accents) was generally grade A, certainly much more widespread than Mandarin speakers in Thailand. I'm sure at worst, I probably could have communicated in Teochiu as Hokkien and Teochiu Chinese have a fairly large overlap in dialect/vocabulary.

I guess one's mileage may vary.

:o