Top 10 Tips!

lordsux

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wai is very complicated - it is best to be quite careful about using it.

You should wai first to the person who is senior in either age or social standing. How HIGH you wai is important too - if you simply return a wai at shoulder height you may be offending the person to whom you are returning the wai - I normally return the wai slightly lower than those who wai me, but if I must wai someone of higher standing, then one must know how high to wai to indicate proper respect....

Yes - it's all a bit complicated, and fortunately many Thais simply realise that farang don't understand, but at least try to make sure you do initiate a wai or respond to a wai at the right time and in a more-or-less correct manner to show respect.

Don't wai sales people and bar staff or others serving you (hotels etc).

I loved Bambinas comment about the surprise at being massaged by a guy while you are trying to have a pee... it brought back memories of my first visit to a bar in the "Pong" - great place, but we were careful about visiting the loo after that...not to mention that the urinal was right beside the hand basin where the girls went to touch up the makeup and wash their hands...

One that was missed - although it is not OK to blow your nose in public, it is OK to pick it as stated above - have a good dig around while your in there, BUT - always cover your mouth when using a tooth pick...what a disgusting habit... :o

There are far too many comments and pointers, but I think most of them have been covered in the above - I hope this has been helpful to the visitors.

Dig the bar girls

Don't walk behind elephants

Avoid Pat Pong

Don't Send Money to Said bar girls

Beware of Hot Chicks w/Deep Voices

Don't Drink the Water

Don't Drink the Beer

Learn How to Use Sink Spray in the Terlet

Don't Play Pool for Cash

enjoy enjoy enjoy the ladies: they are Thailand's crown jewels