Jellyfish – Question

Felt 35

they sting

I do to !!! Very clever lady. They do sting a lot ,Is vinegar good to reduce the pain of the sting?

Yes, although jellyfish is not as common in the water near Thailand's beaches they do excist. Always bring vinegar when you swim in the sea.

they sting

I do to !!! Very clever lady. They do sting a lot ,Is vinegar good to reduce the pain of the sting?

Yes, although jellyfish is not as common in the water near Thailand's beaches they do excist. Always bring vinegar when you swim in the sea.

around Cha-am & Hua Hin I have sometimes seen as many as 50 on the beach in a 1 km walk, and I don't mean small jellyfish either, depending on the time of year and sea conditions.

I've not seen many jellyfish on the HH beach lately, but then I'm not usually at the beach that frequently.

I heard that a really effective remedy for a sting is to urinate on the affected area (or find someone that could do it for you!) :-)

I used to know a nurse at S.P. hospital and she said there were farangs in their almost every day (this was back in 2007) with jellyfish stings. I wonder what the situation is like at the moment.

Ta.

My advice is simple, bathe where the locals bathe.

Last August, I was bit my a small jellyfish on one leg while bathing on the small beach near

Coco 51.

I seemed to know straight away what it was. You will also know straight away. It feels like a stinging bite / an electric shock. My immediate reaction was to jump. I was only in shallow water. Because of my actions the jellyfish must have thought I was attacking it. I was just anxious to get out of the water as soon as possible. It bit me a second time on the back of my other leg. I had heard about urinating on the sting but I was in too much shock to do it myself. I got my wife and another lady to piss on me. Yes it certainly helps. By the time I got to the pharmacy both my legs had slightly swollen and there were hundreds of tiny pimples all over my legs. The pain killers and cream they gave me releaved the pain but i was out of action for 24 hours and had a restless night. It felt like a giant burn , like when you rub your leg against a hot motor cycle exhaust, but worse. Anyway, no ill effects!but the whole incident has made me a lot more cautious about swimming in the sea.

Because of the alkalinity of vinegar it will help but it will make you stink.

Jellyfish are more prominant during the rainy season. Bang Sampan does have a problem will jelly fish.

Edited by scduck

...and piss doesn't? :rolleyes:

In my years of scuba diving I used the piss method for urchin wounds (to dissolve the spine left behind) but didn't know it worked with jellyfish stings, which is what the do by the way, they don't bite. They have stinging cells in their tentacles and the stings result in brushing against those tentacles. Your second wound probably occurred because when you jumped or exited the water fast, you went in the direction of the jelly and brushed against it again.

...and piss doesn't? :rolleyes:

In my years of scuba diving I used the piss method for urchin wounds (to dissolve the spine left behind) but didn't know it worked with jellyfish stings, which is what the do by the way, they don't bite. They have stinging cells in their tentacles and the stings result in brushing against those tentacles. Your second wound probably occurred because when you jumped or exited the water fast, you went in the direction of the jelly and brushed against it again.

I also ear piss it could works... :)

but could be very unconfortable if you don't have it bottled before... :lol: (not so nice to bring in the bag...)

and i don't dare to think what could happen on the beach if a policeman pass there while you decided to use the "fresh" one :ph34r:

at the end winegar is better, and avoid to be jailed :)

:jap:

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a long time in Hua Hin in October-November 2004 and I went swimming in the sea every day. Although I could not see any jellyfish, I got stung all the time - especially under my swimsuit. It was as if the stinging cells were getting stuck between the swimsuit and my skin! At the time I wasn't sure what it was, but after enquiring on a forum someone suggested that they were jellyfish cells that get banged about in the water when the sea is rough (and the sea was quite rough most of the time)... which means that you can get stung even if there are no visible jellyfish around!! Those stings really cause a lot of suffering... Even when the pain goes away, they itch for more than a week until they heal, and then leave a scar for several weeks...

What puzzles me is that I have not encountered such a problem with jellyfish anywhere else except Hua Hin!...