Custom

sapi

Dear TV members,

Let me share one story regarding thailand custom department and please let me know your opinion on this or if you have done it, may share it with me.

I'm frequent online buyer whether abroad (e-b*y) or local, ranging from little stuff to medium stuff.

Usually the post office will either send the pink slip or the green paper for international package.

The pink slip means that i need to go to post office and pick it up (along with ID), the green one is where tax need to be paid.

On most occasion with the green paper, i need to pick it up at my nearest post office and pay the tax written there. No problem so far until last week, where i received green paper where i need to go to the nearest custom house. I lived in prachinburi and the nearest custom house is aranyaprathet which is almost 2 hours journey.

Anywho, i went there this morning with the hope that i just need to pay the tax. Departed from home at 7.30am arrived there 9.30 (roughly). Gave the green paper to the officer there and sit on the waiting area. She came back with the package and the following procedure is the one i would like to ask TV members.

1. she ask for my ID and copy it (Normal for me)

2. she sit infront of me and opened the package infront of me (still normal)

3. she was suprised with the items inside, i just ordered 100 mixed make-up for giveaway to friends

4. she went to the chief room and discussed privately

5. and then she called one person from other department (later i found out that it was "food and drug department" or something along the way)

6. I politely reply all the question : what you going to do with it? i said to give away, etc

7. and then they decided that the package CAN'T be given to me and need to be send it to the sender

I asked them why?, they said that because the items are over 100, i need to get a import permit even if the value under 40K baht.

Let me quote sentence from the custom website:

"The Customs officers will pass the postal items to Thailand Post to keep in the cargo. Thailand Post will issue “Notification to collect international postal items” and send to the consignees stated on the package. The consignees will have to take “Notification to collect international postal items” to Postal and Airport Customs Service Division or the Customs House stated in the notification and follow the customs formalities in order to receive the goods. The customs formalities for the goods of Group 3 can be done in 2 ways. 1. If the value of goods exceeds 40,000 baht, the consignee is required to make an Import Declaration Form through the paperless system. 2. In case the value of goods does not exceed 40,000 baht, the Customs officer will then collect the duties and issue a receipt. The consignee is not required to make an Import Declaration Form.

The value of those items are printed on the usps slip along with the shipping price (75USD plus 48USD shipping).

May please share your thought on these.

Best regards,

Erik.

many times these things slip through the craps at the Thai Post office, but she was correct...

Customs regulations do require the import of cosmetics goods to apply for an import permit with the FDA

Also the value of the goods is not the only thing that will determine whether or not the goods are flagged for formal customs clearance. If goods are a regulated commodity that requires an import permit, then formal customs is required regardless of the value of goods.

That is a good and important regulation.

Problem is that there is a lot poisoning with such things. Yours might be OK, but the regulations are for commercial imports and 100 sets are not for your own use. I don't know for Thailand but in many countries the food and drug laws don't make any difference if you sell it or give it away for free.

Just order 50 pcs next time.

PS.: 100 make-up for give away? I know some guys have a couple of girlfriends, but 100 is a large harem. Are you a sheikh?

(You missed somehow the point at which you should have give her 1 set for testing, which would make it 99 pcs)

I just go through alot of people in the custom regarding this, at one point where i got the handphone no of bangkok custom person in charge. He also mentioned that regardless of the value, i still need to get a import permit for it. He just don't understand why the officer in aranyaprathet didn't inform him when they refused the package.

Anyhow, the information i have, the package will be held for 2 months until further development come up and afterthat will be auction or destroyed not re-send it back as she informed me.

The priceless information that heavy package or oversized package will be directed to the custom house instead of paying tax. (i will keep that in mind next time).

ps: i have a lot of friends.....me and the missus

pss: i already offered it to the officer when they check the package infront of me, they said no

pss: i forgot to mention this, i was waiting there with one thai lady also received package from the US. i took a glance and her package was filled with large bottles of vitamin ( i count roughly 15). They let her out paying tax of 4k baht without even the need to called somebody.

Lesson learned and will be use for another day.

Thx for the comment.

Edited by sapi