I Officially Hate Apple

Crushdepth

It's quite obvious Samsung have copied Applies iPad...

But with so many similar products on the market: from 3d TV's to Cars and pens etc.. I can't see how Apple can claim to be any different from other companies who have faced competition.

Unless of course Apple can prove that Samsung have copied technology from Apple which would otherwise prevent them from producing the Galaxy.

As a user of a number of different Apple appliances this indeed stink of Apple becoming too powerful. Their product should speak for itself in an open market.

Big failure by apple.

It's like Ford suing Toyota because they think they invented the wheel first.

More evidence of apple not liking free and fair competition. Pressures on and they're chucking their toys out of the pram because Androids captured a big chunk of what they wrongly felt was their market.

Are they gonna sue LG and HTC as well or maybe Acer or Motorola because they also all have touch screens and tablet PC etc etc.

Its a shame.

It's quite obvious Samsung have copied Applies iPad...

But with so many similar products on the market: from 3d TV's to Cars and pens etc.. I can't see how Apple can claim to be any different from other companies who have faced competition.

Unless of course Apple can prove that Samsung have copied technology from Apple which would otherwise prevent them from producing the Galaxy.

As a user of a number of different Apple appliances this indeed stink of Apple becoming too powerful. Their product should speak for itself in an open market.

Large technology companies hold so many patents now that it is very difficult to make anything without infringing something. Especially when patents are handed out like lollies. Samsung is also suing Apple for patent infringement. I'm just annoyed as a consumer to see any company deprive the consumer of access to technology.

Don't over-react guys ... these people sue each other all the time.

Before you start blaming Apple alone on this issue ..... did you realize that in late June, Samsung asked the International Trade Commission to block all iPad, iPhone, and iPod importation into the USA!!! And sued Apple because of what Samsung claimed were violations of it's technology and patents. Of course this was a reaction to Apple's suing Samsung for patent infringement in April .... which was a reaction to Samsung suing Apple ... etc etc etc ...

This is the reality of the EPad and smart phone market these days. It's a mad scramble ... greed and copycats.

Nokia and Apple just went thru this same kind of thing .... in the end they negotiated and sorted things out in the interests of peaceful co-existance.

Samsung and Apple will probably do the same thing ... when they both are ready to negotiate.

Samsung does make the most blatant copies of Apple products. That was their choice and now they're getting sued - unsurprisingly, if they don't sue the most blatant copier of all they might as well give up on their IP.

Whether or not things like user interfaces can even be protected is questionable - it will work itself out later.

I mean look at this - even though Samsung has meanwhile disowned this product, it just goes to show how blatant they're ripping Apple's stuff off. Witness - a 1:1 outright Samsung COPY of the iPad 2 magnetic cover:

anymodesmartcase-m.jpg

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/accessories/ipad-smart-cover-rip-off-case-lands-samsung-in-hot-water-50004469/

Edited by nikster

Apple will be in business for a long time because they, like Microsoft and other HUGE companies protect their bread-and-butter products through law suits. This is the "new" business model! I do not like a lot of modern business practices; however, if one does not protect one's inventions then others are all to eager to rip them off. Maybe you should blame Samsung! Hating Apple and not Samsung for "teasing this person with a new product sounds like the vendors in Phuket protesting because they are not making money as they have been forced not to sell anymore counterfeit goods! Rather silly, really.

Galaxy tabs are not counterfeit goods. Apple perfected* the tablet but they hardly invented it :-)

* As in 'best so far', although it has a number of pathetic limitations explicitly designed to screw the devotee.

Edited by Crushdepth

An interesting article, calling Google on their BS:

http://brianshall.com/content/google-are-pussies

Hey man start your own "I officially hate Google" thread :-)

Valid point ;)

Seems like Google is in all sorts of trouble over its approach to other people's IP right now though. And that despite the fact that their own business is based on the famous Page Rank patent.

I am just saying - Apple can hardly tolerate blatant stealing of their IP, I am surprised they've taken this long to respond, really. Meanwhile Microsoft is silently suing Android handset makers to pay them a tax on each handset sold. Which approach is cleaner? I suppose Apple could do the same thing, and get $10 for every Android handset sold like MS does with HTC. Microsoft makes more money from Android patent fees than Windows Phone licenses right now...

I officially hate them worse: Sale of Galaxy tab in EU has also been blocked by Apple. Booo!!!!!

Do you think there is no validity to their argument? Are you saying Apple is a patent troll?

Update: There's now the official court complaint Apple used in Germany available here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/61993811/10-08-04-Apple-Motion-for-EU-Wide-Prel-Inj-Galaxy-Tab-10-1

It's in German. I've briefly gone over it and frankly they do make a pretty compelling case. The complaint is that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a blatant copy of the iPad 2. The evidence presented is that the Galaxy Tab has:

- The exact same shape and form factor as an iPad

- The same kind of border around the screen

- The same screen (glass, touch sensitive)

- The same kind of icons when turned on

- A metal back (I can't believe Samsung actually copied the metal back?! <deleted> were they thinking)

It's obvious that if a no name Chinese company came out with a product like this, everyone would say they're making a knock-off product yada yada yada and they'd get shot down by lawyers immediately.

You could argue that all tablets must logically look like this, and that Apple's protective IP is worth nothing or was granted in error. Apple has a pretty compelling counter argument here too: Look at ANY tablet released before the iPad. They look totally different. They run Windows so the whole UI is completely different. They are much thicker; and they look different still in a million other ways. The Galaxy Tab, however, is more or less a clone of the iPad.

Which is which? Tell the difference!

post-20814-0-11914000-1313027231_thumb.p

post-20814-0-41245100-1313027243_thumb.p

I officially hate them worse: Sale of Galaxy tab in EU has also been blocked by Apple. Booo!!!!!

Do you think there is no validity to their argument? Are you saying Apple is a patent troll?

Update: There's now the official court complaint Apple used in Germany available here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/61993811/10-08-04-Apple-Motion-for-EU-Wide-Prel-Inj-Galaxy-Tab-10-1

It's in German. I've briefly gone over it and frankly they do make a pretty compelling case. The complaint is that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a blatant copy of the iPad 2. The evidence presented is that the Galaxy Tab has:

- The exact same shape and form factor as an iPad

- The same kind of border around the screen

- The same screen (glass, touch sensitive)

- The same kind of icons when turned on

- A metal back (I can't believe Samsung actually copied the metal back?! <deleted> were they thinking)

It's obvious that if a no name Chinese company came out with a product like this, everyone would say they're making a knock-off product yada yada yada and they'd get shot down by lawyers immediately.

You could argue that all tablets must logically look like this, and that Apple's protective IP is worth nothing or was granted in error. Apple has a pretty compelling counter argument here too: Look at ANY tablet released before the iPad. They look totally different. They run Windows so the whole UI is completely different. They are much thicker; and they look different still in a million other ways. The Galaxy Tab, however, is more or less a clone of the iPad.

Which is which? Tell the difference!

post-20814-0-11914000-1313027231_thumb.p

post-20814-0-41245100-1313027243_thumb.p

I am not swayed by the points above: My 2004-era iPAQ has a glass touchscreen, app icons arranged in a grid, a metal back (magnesium, baby!), a black border around the screen and its rectangular. Palm PDAs had most of those features in the 90's. It's true that there are some form-factor things we can take for granted these days. The Galaxy tab has a different processor, OS and UI. An iPAD user can't just pick up a Galaxy and start using it, they will struggle for a while because the OS just doesn't work the same way.

I think it's strange that Apple isn't pursuing hardware of software patents here, just 'it kind of looks like ours', which is a lame Gucci handbag kind of argument. But the main thing is, I don't appreciate it when these companies start holding consumers to ransom in their disputes. There's a lot of people out there that own products from both.

Yeah but your iPAQ looks totally different doesn't it?! Completely different shape, for one. Nobody would confuse the two.

Of course it's a Gucci handbag argument. They're saying "this is our design, don't steal it, do your own"; Samsung is apparently thinking "hey, we like it so much we just steal theirs". Whether something like that can be protected is another question. I'd hope so though.

I don't think the above injunction is about patents. It's about protected designs, same as when Chery comes out with a car that looks 99% like a BMW, BMW will sue them and prevent them from selling their clone car.

Patents are different, you don't need to actively defend them to keep them. Trademarks though need to be actively defended or they're void. I don't know about the way they protected their design but I imagine it needs to be defended actively.

As for protecting the consumer - if everybody can just outright copy everyone else, will it lead to better products? Or will it kill innovation? If the companies that actually invent something aren't rewarded for it, there won't be any progress. I don't agree with all IP rights, and I don't claim to have a solution - but clearly some protection is necessary and in the best interest of consumers.

Laws aside - my gut feeling is to agree with Apple in this case. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a blatant rip-off of the iPad, and I don't condone that.

Don't you agree that the Galaxy tab seems pretty "inspired" by the iPad?

Don't you agree that the Galaxy tab seems pretty "inspired" by the iPad?

No argument there. But all of these companies look at the competition when designing their own products. You could also argue that the iPad owes its existence in part to the legion of crappy Microsoft tablets that preceded it, even if their major function was to illustrate what *doesn't* work! Certainly they would have analysed them to death before starting to build their own.

I don't think the 'look' warrants this kind of action. Of course the front looks the same, its just a screen. The back doesn't look similar at all, and nobody is going to confuse an iPad with a Galaxy tab at purchase time.3

Apple unsuccessfully tried to sue MicroSoft many moons ago when Windows 2 was released. They failed because it was judged that 'look and feel' wasn't copyrightable.

However, AFAIAC, there is a rather large difference between a similar look and feel, and something that is trying to be identical with just enough differences to scrape through.

• 2 weeks later...