Information Sharing - Uk And Thailand

If I was to buy a property in Thailand for the rental market as a long term investment and I was to experience financial difficulty here in the Uk would there be anyway of the Uk applying to access any property in Thailand.

Also same question applies to savings in Thai banks ?

I guess I am wanting to have the best of both worlds

I am thinking a condo or similar or a house in wifes name

I would suggest you go talk to Citizens advice as that really is a legal question, they also have solicitors that will give you an initial consultation FREE.

I would have thought if the property in Thailand is in your wifes name no one in the UK could touch it (after all what they dont know about etc), if the Condo or money in a bank account is in your name there will be a paper trail and could be accessed, but I'm no Solicitor and as said previously think its better to get correct legal guidance.

Edited by CharlieH

Is there routine information sharing, ie you do something in Thailand, they will automatically find out in the UK...No

Can they find out if they want to ?.....yes....and if asked on an official form in the UK about disclosure of asset and you lied...technically you could be commiting fraud...so gettting your property attached would be the least of your worrriesIn your case I dont think it would matter if you are putting in all in the wifes name as they would not be able to touch it anyway....."Charlie H" has a good point about the paper trail....easy money must come into Thailand via the wifes account and for all intents and purposes its the wifes money.

I am obviously not going to comment on putting money/properties in Thai wives names in Thailand...:whistling:

The answer to your questions are YES YES YES across the board.

Believe me I had reason to know !!!

When I was investigated I could not believe what they came up with and where they could have got it from. As they say I was bang to rights !!

The fact that the investigators managed to misinterpret 90% of what they found was more startling !!

Another poster makes the point that its not done as a matter of routine ?? Am not sure on that point but on bank accounts I disagree with good reason !!

Edited in.

My ex wife had a house (still does) in outskirts Pattaya. 100% in her name-note the word ex wife.

Prosecutor/courts decided it was entirely MINE and clocked an extra 1.9 million on confiscation order even though I had separated from ex wife in 2004 (it is now 2010 what Im referring to)

Edited by Chivas

There is a tax-treaty bewteen the UK and Thailand, I'm sure it aslo has provisons on sharing information.

As to your assets in Thailand, I think they could be claimed by a UK-debtor. But they would have to get approval from a Thai court first before they can execute it. Not sure how difficult that would be, better ask a lawyer. But Uk-law will have provisions against hiding assets or not giving up your assets to pay a debt, even if it is in Thailand. Not a smart thing to do, it will only increase your problems (and the interest, legal fees etc. you have to pay over any debt).

There is a tax-treaty bewteen the UK and Thailand, I'm sure it aslo has provisons on sharing information.

As to your assets in Thailand, I think they could be claimed by a UK-debtor. But they would have to get approval from a Thai court first before they can execute it. Not sure how difficult that would be, better ask a lawyer. But Uk-law will have provisions against hiding assets or not giving up your assets to pay a debt, even if it is in Thailand. Not a smart thing to do, it will only increase your problems (and the interest, legal fees etc. you have to pay over any debt).

Completely correct.

The only issue is that an agency has to get a Thai court to execute an order. That no doubt is true but the UK doesnt need to bother as they issue a confiscation order of XYZ with jail time in lieu if not paid. You then offload the asset unless you want extra time.

Some of the jail times are swinging to say the least and on average you get 3 months to settle before you're in contempt and down for a few years.

Edited by Chivas

Guess the overall opinion is yes it can be found and taken away if need be, I will at some point seek legal advise to be sure.

Thank you all

Another issue worth pointing out is that the moment your passport is swiped at immigration that information immediately registers "somewhere" in the UK.

That I also found to my cost !

Edited by Chivas

Guess the overall opinion is yes it can be found and taken away if need be, I will at some point seek legal advise to be sure.

Thank you all

Another issue worth pointing out is that the moment your passport is swiped at immigration that information immediately registers "somewhere" in the UK.

Ever get the feeling your being watched !!!!

Thank you all

Ever get the feeling your being watched !!!!

You don't know the half of it until like myself you're on the receiving end.