Calling Free Through Gmail Now In Thailand

greatjob

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw that a few hours ago. This is great as before a vpn was necessary.

It's not quite free to call Canada and the US,but it's only 1c a minute.

>>United States star_on_unselected.giffree from the U.S. & Canada

$0.01 from everywhere else

Edited by steelepulse

I just saw that a few hours ago. This is great as before a vpn was necessary.

It's not quite free to call Canada and the US,but it's only 1c a minute.

>>United States star_on_unselected.giffree from the U.S. & Canada

$0.01 from everywhere else

I called free to the US last night. I tried 3 numbers and all were free and I am in Thailand without a VPN.

Could that be a mistake? I did change my setting to be "US Language" though

GJ

Edited by greatjob

Hello,

Try to use it in Pattaya: Calling in Gmail is not available in your current location:

Google Voice is not available in your country.Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US, but are planning to expand our service to additional countries in the future.

Looks like not work when you are in Thailand...

Cheers,

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

Another way to call cheap is to buy Linksys PAP2 set it up with an IP number, from the country your calling most, but you can set up the PAP2 with 2 number from 2 diffirent countries, connect a normale phone, like a wireless and you have the perfect phone system.

For people in Scandinavia i can recoment TELLIO, because they give you a free PAP2 so you dont need to spend 2000 bath on tha.

I dont like to have to stay next to my pc to call or that the pc have to be on all the time, with the PAP2 i can bring it to my bed room, my bar or my fitness, just like a normale phone.

Edited by KoratFarang

Another way to call cheap is to buy Linksys PAP2 set it up with an IP number, from the country your calling most, but you can set up the PAP2 with 2 number from 2 diffirent countries, connect a normale phone, like a wireless and you have the perfect phone system.

For people in Scandinavia i can recoment TELLIO, because they give you a free PAP2 so you dont need to spend 2000 bath on tha.

I dont like to have to stay next to my pc to call or that the pc have to be on all the time, with the PAP2 i can bring it to my bed room, my bar or my fitness, just like a normale phone.

Good information and where do you think i can buy this and how much does it go for

Good information and where do you think i can buy this and how much does it go for

I have 2 one i got free from TELLIO, but this you can only get if you have adress in denmark, sweden or norway. The other one i order i IT City in korat. If you get one from tellio they will provide you with a number, if you buy one your self, you need to buy a IP number and here i would google who provide numbers in the country you mostly call and look into there rates. Send me PM if you need to know more

CountryGoogle Voice rate per minute USDThailand - Landline$0.02Thailand - Mobile$0.03

too bad one has to install additional software instead of running it using gmail

Too bad I cant not install Google Voice here in Thailand

Gmail Call is not available to me "without VPN." Without VPN activated, Gmail says the Call function is not available to my location. I'm in Bangkok.

If I remember right their was another topic on this subject a few months ago, someone said the Call capability was now available/working for them from Thailand (without VPN), other people tried but it was not available to them, then a few days later the OP in that earlier topic said it was no longer working for him. Apparently, Google had goofed and some folks outside the U.S. were allowed access by mistake...but Google fixed the mistake.

However, when activating my VPN (StrongVPN) the Call icon does show up in my Gmail Chat area.

Gmail Call is not available to me "without VPN." Without VPN activated, Gmail says the Call function is not available to my location. I'm in Bangkok.

If I remember right their was another topic on this subject a few months ago, someone said the Call capability was now available/working for them from Thailand (without VPN), other people tried but it was not available to them, then a few days later the OP in that earlier topic said it was no longer working for him. Apparently, Google had goofed and some folks outside the U.S. were allowed access by mistake...but Google fixed the mistake.

However, when activating my VPN (StrongVPN) the Call icon does show up in my Gmail Chat area.

Very strange, I am in Bangkok and it worked well all day. True Internet connection.

It is still free.

I do use the Google DNS server and do not use any proxy from True, could that be a reason? Could it be still blocked if you have TOT or BB instead of True?

At the same time I found this link saying that Thailand is not yet supported alongside China and some other countries?

http://www.google.co...r=1267644&hl=en

Well it does work, at least for some in Thailand.

GJ

Edited by greatjob

I'm on True also....specifically the True "Cable" 20Mb plan. I'll check Gmail again in a couple of days to see if the Call icon appears but I'm not holding my breath especially since your link above says Thailand is not on the list of supported countries. Thanks for the additional info.

But for now I can always just access it through the VPN service which I got just the morning due to a variety of needs. Although I said it appeared with my VPN turned-on, I didn't follow through to see if the Google Call function actually worked OK...I'll try later.

Edited by Pib

Still no Call function for me unless I activate my VPN.

Have you checked that you have "US English" as your account language?

https://plus.google....language?tab=m8

Just checked...yeap, set to English (US).

Not sure if it has anything to do with it but my address is also a US address.

I still can call to the US for free (I do not pay 0.01/min) without VPN in Thailand. Maybe it is link to my US address, not sure.

Edited by greatjob

Just added the plug-in and this is what I got at the top of my Gmail inbox:

Calling in Gmail is not available in your current location.

I click on the Lean More link and It says:

The Gmail Call Phone functionality is NOT currently available in the following locations:

• Argentina
  • China
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Ghana
  • India
  • Iran
  • Jordan
  • Kenya
  • Mexico
  • Morocco
  • Myanmar
  • Nigeria
  • North Korea
  • Peru
  • Russian Federation
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • South Korea
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Thailand
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Viet Nam

So, the OP is not correct. Gmail Call Phone is not officially available in Thailand! This is similar to a claim made once before on Thai Visa where only a few could use it.

Edited by BB1950