Rain Rides

T_Dog

Was going to go on a longish ride today but since last year the ground was moving from landslides at this same time of year on that ride I opted instead to ride to Wat Doi Suthep. Put some diving anti-fog drops on my glasses, packed a shell for the downhill and off I went. Rained all the way and the fog at the top third of the mountain had visibility down to less than a 100 meters. For the first time in three years I did not see another cyclist on the mountain. Surprises me that more people don't ride in the rain as it's not any wetter based on how much I sweat! Was a fun ride.

Some of us on road bikes find the descent a bit dodgy in the wet!

Got that! I'm running MTB tires so not as big an issue there. Went down on a road bike in Portland once though on a group night ride. Amazing how far you can slide on wet pavement.

a long way from Doi Suthep to here . . . I ride often in the rain (Chanthaburi), but change my route to one with less traffic, as many drivers don't reduce their speed at all in poor visibility on the main/open roads, prefer to be somewhere I can ride and ideally be seen by overtaking vehicles.

Other thing is now I'm on an mtb it's easier negotiating puddles than on my road/race bike and 23mm rims, sometimes it's 'surprise!' as a small puddle conceals a pothole.

Going out riding in heavy rain is good for my 'crazy foreigner' image too.

I like riding in the wet and rain, (not all the time) It's wind I don't like, (weather wind, not bodily) the only reservation I would have is when about to start aride and looking out my window and not being able to see my garage, (5 meter away) due to down pore, before I start. Once I start riding, well, 'I've started….So I'll finish)

Funny 'T-dog' I was going to post a similar topic t to this, basically asking who rides in the wet. I see Thais on MTB at various points along my rides…Always on tarmac, never in the dirt and if they get caught out on a ride, with the rain, you would think they were made of sugar…They dive for the nearest shelter and won't come out. But then I know a few people that will not go swimming if it's raining! Figure that one out!

PS: Still waiting for this ride-out!

Edited by Tonto21

Pretty much the same as you Tonto21. Even if the rain clouds are very visible and imminent I'll still head out. I normally ride early morning during the week and longer rides at weekend, generally late afternoon. But recently switched weekends to early morning as well since the westerly current monsoon has been bringing torrential downpours building late afternoon. Even when it does not rain it's still really muggy and the heat is oppressive. Mornings are much cooler. I've written a bit about it on my MTB Blog Hope you guys don't mind me sharing the link!

Also noticed the local Thai riders here in our area very rarely venture off road. They've got all the latest and greatest high tech MTB Bling bikes and gear, just to ride there and back on the local 4 lane highway. My mate has a theory on this; how the hell would anyone notice them and their hi-so gear if they disappeared off road into the tapper trails and dirt roads?? Of course for me, on my 7 year old Jamis HT (badly in need of an upgrade) it's the only place to be and I've got the dirt on the bike to prove it ;)

did doi kham, Chiang Mai saturday evening in the rain. not one person all the way up and down. extremely windy around 6.45pm and no monk to be seen as well! only dogs seeking shelter under the roofs of a sala. Got down cause it was getting really dark and scary with no one else in sight. skidded a couple times down the steep slope. maybe tyres need to be upgraded from the factory fitted ones.

but rain or shine, its always great to ride :)

did doi kham, Chiang Mai saturday evening in the rain. not one person all the way up and down. extremely windy around 6.45pm and no monk to be seen as well! only dogs seeking shelter under the roofs of a sala. Got down cause it was getting really dark and scary with no one else in sight. skidded a couple times down the steep slope. maybe tyres need to be upgraded from the factory fitted ones.

Sounds great! Doi Kham can be dangerous even when it's dry if you have a bit too much smack going into those hair-pin turns. A buddy actually had to cross in front of an oncoming van and dive off the road into the brush! So take it easy until you get more experience!

I rode up to Mae Taeng in the rain yesterday and had a few errands to do on the way. Then a flat tire and when I got to the wife's house, I noticed I was sun burned pretty bad. So... that sun can burn you even when it is overcast. I am pretty red today. Still missed riding with Tonto dagnabit!

Pretty much the same as you Tonto21. Even if the rain clouds are very visible and imminent I'll still head out. I normally ride early morning during the week and longer rides at weekend, generally late afternoon. But recently switched weekends to early morning as well since the westerly current monsoon has been bringing torrential downpours building late afternoon. Even when it does not rain it's still really muggy and the heat is oppressive. Mornings are much cooler. I've written a bit about it on my MTB Blog Hope you guys don't mind me sharing the link!

Also noticed the local Thai riders here in our area very rarely venture off road. They've got all the latest and greatest high tech MTB Bling bikes and gear, just to ride there and back on the local 4 lane highway. My mate has a theory on this; how the hell would anyone notice them and their hi-so gear if they disappeared off road into the tapper trails and dirt roads?? Of course for me, on my 7 year old Jamis HT (badly in need of an upgrade) it's the only place to be and I've got the dirt on the bike to prove it ;)

Yotspeed... I like the blog. Best part are the trail photos, but there aren't enough of them! If you get up North sometime, send me a PM and I'll show you some good rides right out of the city.

Yotspeed... I like the blog. Best part are the trail photos, but there aren't enough of them! If you get up North sometime, send me a PM and I'll show you some good rides right out of the city.

Will do T_Dog !! Might be a few of us planning a roadie in November and CM looking like the probable destination. How's the weather at that time of the year?? Start of our NE Monsoon and can be pretty wet with flash floods, so South is out of the picture. Bit of a drive for me but others from BKK.

Got myself a new phone with GPS tracking and a decent camera so should be starting to get some more trail pics taken and posted. Should also see the start of some wider range exploring in search of Single Track - just hope the battery lasts long enough to find my way back :unsure: Just testing it on local X-C trails at present.

Here's a pic taken last Saturday, after I remembered, about 1/3rd into the trail to tell the Fone to 'start' recording :blink:

Here's another web site to check out for some MTB trails Single Track Thailand

Have fun out there.......

post-37580-0-40139200-1312875881_thumb.j

Yotspeed... November is the winter season here in Chiang Mai and you will likely have dry and cool riding. If October is dry, then November could be a bit smokey as the farmers start to burn.

The rain is pounding away outside right now so I thought I would post some photos of single track and other rides around Chiang Mai. All of these photos were taken within an hour's ride out from the city. Some of Dr. Treelove's trails behind Maejo, Doi Pa Klong behind Doi Pui, Opkhan National Park, and even one photo from the Mae On district which is still within an hour's road ride. (No photos toward the north which also has some great riding.) I've run into three different hunters up in the mountains using homemade long guns and finally had my camera along a few months ago when I had a chat with this fellow. It is indeed a flintlock rifle and he was carrying a rooster to help attract mountain grouse. It doesn't take long to get on the wild side when you leave the pavement behind in Chiang Mai.

post-498-0-44034800-1313157294_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-69393800-1313157402_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-40190800-1313157431_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-27366000-1313157458_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-80378000-1313157525_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-85347400-1313157569_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-49971000-1313157605_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-08047700-1313157632_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-68249300-1313157651_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-30521300-1313157695_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-46891200-1313157728_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-33719900-1313157781_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-42496600-1313157819_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-41330100-1313157851_thumb.jpg

Nice photos, T.

Since you won't join me on a road ride, I'd like to join you off road someday when I get back to CM. That is, if you don't mind having a confirmed roadie tagging along.

Hey, I've ridden with you years ago! Anyone that rides the Samoung loop as fast as you do though is not in my Clydesdale category! We'll have to do the Doi Pui to Bann Pong Yang Nai ride when you get back. That's always a good one and you get a nice 30 km road ride back to town.

• 2 weeks later...

Tigerbeer has only been riding for a few months but he recently accomplished his first Doi Suthep climb! Pretty impressive to see a new rider get in condition so fast. Congratulations Tigerbeer!

Tigerbeer has only been riding for a few months but he recently accomplished his first Doi Suthep climb! Pretty impressive to see a new rider get in condition so fast. Congratulations Tigerbeer!

thank you t_dog. hope to speed up the slopes a bit more but its a great achievement for me., Took some pictures with the phone and have attached them. I like the first pic which is the last 500 metres or so to the temple. a wet and very cool morning. picture of monks at the base was around 6.45am. hope to ride with you up there soon T_dog and thank you for encouraging me back into the sport.

post-29436-0-95446300-1313907079_thumb.j

post-29436-0-83156900-1313907122_thumb.j

post-29436-0-31494400-1313907157_thumb.j

post-29436-0-69784400-1313907204_thumb.j

post-29436-0-51575300-1313907223_thumb.j

post-29436-0-66615700-1313907268_thumb.j

thank you t_dog. hope to speed up the slopes a bit more but its a great achievement for me., Took some pictures with the phone and have attached them. I like the first pic which is the last 500 metres or so to the temple. a wet and very cool morning. picture of monks at the base was around 6.45am. hope to ride with you up there soon T_dog and thank you for encouraging me back into the sport.

Hi 'tigerbeer' nice one mate! How did you find that last tight left bend before the Wat?

Good job….1st of many, I bet.

Tonto.

Hi 'tigerbeer' nice one mate! How did you find that last tight left bend before the Wat?

Good job….1st of many, I bet.

Tonto.

Hi Tonto!,

went back again today. was a lot more tiring. maybe cause it was bright sunshine! :) i need to carry some quick sugar replenishing food cause i was extremely tired and panting when i finally reached near the steps of the wat. i saw a slim thai lady cruise right by me on a road bike at that last bend and upwards, she reached the top and came down the mountain right away. no rest no nothing. amazing!

Just got back from Wat Doi Kham and they are re-paving the road. I would say they are about 80% done so avoid it for the next week as the old pavement is covered with oil and tar in preparation for the paving machine. Even the shoulders are oiled so it is a bit difficult to get around the last kilometer that is prepped.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos from my weekly "stay-in-shape" ride. Some of the trails are like tunnels this year from all the rain. There are many tracks like these in Northern Thailand and it is just a matter of going down them to find out which ones are not dead ends. Once in the woods, the only person I saw was a mushroom hunter.

post-498-0-99619100-1314775959_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-94375500-1314775985_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-81584700-1314776006_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-01983500-1314776029_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-32652200-1314776051_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-42273800-1314776120_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-50468000-1314776143_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-00484700-1314776161_thumb.png

Here are some photos from my weekly "stay-in-shape" ride. Some of the trails are like tunnels this year from all the rain. There are many tracks like these in Northern Thailand and it is just a matter of going down them to find out which ones are not dead ends. Once in the woods, the only person I saw was a mushroom hunter.

beautiful tracks T, where is this place?

beautiful tracks T, where is this place?

I pop on down south about 20 km to the road that leads to OpKhan National Park and the waterfalls, but before I get there, I turn north at a Royal Project and do these tracks and two hill tribe settlements until I come out at the Samoung Road. About 5km of the Samoung road and I go over the back road of Doi Kham (which you know!) to get back home. Some day when you have a full morning, let's do it. It is no harder than climbing Doi Suthep, but it does take longer.

I pop on down south about 20 km to the road that leads to OpKhan National Park and the waterfalls, but before I get there, I turn north at a Royal Project and do these tracks and two hill tribe settlements until I come out at the Samoung Road. About 5km of the Samoung road and I go over the back road of Doi Kham (which you know!) to get back home. Some day when you have a full morning, let's do it. It is no harder than climbing Doi Suthep, but it does take longer.

Hi T,

Seems like a full 50km ride looking at your chart. :) 2 steep climbs. will do it !

Edited by tigerbeer

Been getting in a lot of dry rides and thought maybe this thread had run its course. The last week sure has felt like the dry season is on the way.

The Sunday Cycling Club took a leisurely jaunt up to Wat Doi Kham and the new pavement is very nice. Makes the downhill more dangerous though as the bumpy sections would make one slow down. Now it is just smooth and fast sailing all the way down, but watch for those corners! Here are some photos.......

post-498-0-89862900-1315117816_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-86661200-1315117864_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-27189900-1315117889_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-07698900-1315117920_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

rode up to doi kham yesterday evening, very smooth new tar and like you said T_dog, really fast downhill without the bumps!

Yep, my brakes have been getting a real work out before the switch backs. My download doesn't show the peak speed my display shows real time. Garmin is ripping me off!

Last few days of riding have been pretty diverse weather-wise. Turned around from a longer OpKhan Park ride due to downpours and lightning a few days ago. The next day it was frying sun and 33 degrees C. Yesterday was perfect with early morning overcast and no rain until late afternoon, but the trails were soft goo from all the rains during the night. Going to ride next week with Tonto in Mae Taeng so I'm sure the snakes will take our minds off the weather.

post-498-0-37374800-1316682427_thumb.png