Wireless/Wired Home Alarm Systems

jingjingna

I got a quote from a company called Maxwell for a home alarm system, it was around 30,000 Baht. Looking on Ebay, however the wireless alarm systems are a fraction of the price and seem pretty sraightforward to install.

I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who has a wireless system installed and whether it was purchased here or ordered from the internet.

Thanks!

I am yet to start looking into a security system but think there is some benefit in paying a premium for a local company to install - there is always the after sales service (hopefully) if something goes wrong or you need some follow up for modifications / changes etc .

I have one in my home in Spain. It's connected to a box that is basically a mobile phone, if the alarm is set off it calls the security company who then call the house back with a pass word, if I give no response or the wrong password reply, the company then call the local Guardia Civil who have my info and go to investigate, they have an office just at the end of the road and can be at my house in under 4 minutes. The security company also call who I nominate, in this case my family who live next door, to inform them that there is a problem. The alarm is as I say wireless and runs on our own power supply, and has a back up power supply should "and it never has yet" the house power supply fail. Then there is the DOG, I know he won't harm a sole, but he frightens people with his looks. We also have lights that come on if you walk past them in the garden and that is very handy to have and saves on power. Can't remember the price had it in about 7 years now.

As for our house in Thailand I don't bother as the estate has it's own 24/7 security and I have nothing of value in the house, other than basic furniture and fixings.

Edited by a99az

I have a Maxwell....had it for more than three years...never had a problem except that I need to change the batteries every year or so. Even then I get them from the company and am charged less than the shops ask.

At the time it was the state of the art...it has follow me, which means it will dial my phone if it goes off and I can accept and reset at that time, speak to anyone in the house...phone in and switch on or off...zone it for night use ie downstairs monitored only.

It has never gone off when it shouldn't have and you can't ask for more than that. The installation was perhaps the best job that anyone has ever done in our house. I couldn't fault how careful and professional they were.

I don't know what else is available now but Rokonet, I think that is the spelling, in my view is worth the money. I'm sure that there are cheaper systems available but my experience says go with Maxwell.

I recall commenting on this system a year or so back, so a search might bring up some useful information.

I wonder if anyone has experience with Secom? http://www.secom.co.th/ (bummer their website only has thai and japanese language options)

Right now I am renting a place with a full system...seems pretty professional. The components appear to be good quality, the installation is pretty clean and seems well thought out.

I'll probably get a quote from them for my new house and would be interest to hear if anyone else has something to share.

i also have a maxwell maxguard 9 wireless system installed and find it very good know problems upto now had it installed 1yr already and was told batterys will last 3year. the only downside to the maxwell system i got installed was the external sounder .it was only 5inch x 3 inch with know led flashing light to show people the system is active . the risco system i think is a far better system it has fire alarm detection , gsm/gprs module ,external sounder with led. with the maxwell the thief if he is clever all he has to do is cut the telephone line and then there is know connection to let you know if its been activated if you are away from home. were as the risco its gsm/gprs its radio . like i say i have the maxwell in my home in thailand and when i got it 1year ago the risco system wasn,t available for me then or i would of picked that system. has i have the risco system in my home in the uk best system ive ever bought.

I have a wireless alarms system that I brought from he UK and installed here (works on 868MHz), works flawlessly except for the early days when I had used some passive infrared detectors. The problem I had was that unless the PIR's were configured for very low sensitivity it was possible for Ghekko's or other insects wandering across the front of them to set off the alarm.

I ended up removing the PIR's and going for magnetic contacts on every door / window which now works great, except for the high number of magnetic switches I needed (22 I think). The other issue can be batteries. The ones bought locally in Thailand don't last as long as the ones I bring from the UK. The UK ones last for a good 2 years.

The system also supports X10 devices so I can control lights and sockets through the existing electrical power wires. I have various lights coming on and off through the night when I'm away from home

The system has GSM which alerts me of any alarms / problems and also allows remote configuration. I installed the main control panel in the roof space supplied from a UPS with a small remote keypad near the front door and in the bedroom. The system also has three different arming levels depending on what you want to arm (perimeter, partial and full arm). Also can add smoke / gas / flood detectors to it.

Very happy with it and it has worked in anger 1 time when some scumbag came in through a back door while we were away from the house. Alarm went off, GSM alerted us, he bolted when the alarm went off and got nothing. The guy next door wasn't so lucky as the thief must have broken into his house before climbing over the wall to my house.

Here is a link to the website - http://www.quicksafe...rglar-alarm.htm

M.

I have a wireless alarms system that I brought from he UK and installed here (works on 868MHz), works flawlessly except for the early days when I had used some passive infrared detectors. The problem I had was that unless the PIR's were configured for very low sensitivity it was possible for Ghekko's or other insects wandering across the front of them to set off the alarm.

I ended up removing the PIR's and going for magnetic contacts on every door / window which now works great, except for the high number of magnetic switches I needed (22 I think). The other issue can be batteries. The ones bought locally in Thailand don't last as long as the ones I bring from the UK. The UK ones last for a good 2 years.

The system also supports X10 devices so I can control lights and sockets through the existing electrical power wires. I have various lights coming on and off through the night when I'm away from home

The system has GSM which alerts me of any alarms / problems and also allows remote configuration. I installed the main control panel in the roof space supplied from a UPS with a small remote keypad near the front door and in the bedroom. The system also has three different arming levels depending on what you want to arm (perimeter, partial and full arm). Also can add smoke / gas / flood detectors to it.

Very happy with it and it has worked in anger 1 time when some scumbag came in through a back door while we were away from the house. Alarm went off, GSM alerted us, he bolted when the alarm went off and got nothing. The guy next door wasn't so lucky as the thief must have broken into his house before climbing over the wall to my house.

Here is a link to the website - http://www.quicksafe...rglar-alarm.htm

M.

Well, that's certainly a lot of useless information and link for wanting information about "alarm/security products available in THAILAND and not the U.K., unless you're from the U.K. and make periodic trips.

What about a good wireless system available in Thailand? and not only the Chinese crap?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my two baht worth...........

I bought a Yale wireless alarm, and had it carried here by a friend from England. I expected good results from a product of a worldwide company of renoun.

But I could not get the wireless system to work at all. despite many emails and telephone calls to Yale, they were unable to advise any fix that would work. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the advertised wireless transmission capability was just false, and even one concrete/stucco wall was too much of a barrier.

So - beware wireless systems!