Thai Army Chief Denies Talks With Thaksin

webfact

Army Chief Denies Talks with Thaksin

The army chief says he has never contacted ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to lobby him over the nomination of the new defense minister.

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha insisted he has never talked with ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra or any party about the appointment of General Yutthasak Sasiprapa as defense minister.

Prayuth said the selection of the defense minister depends on the government’s decision and the army has no power to bargain.

He said both outgoing Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan and former army chief General Anupong Paochinda are eligible candidates for the post.

He added the rumor that Thaksin will use the defense minister post to bargain for his return to the country without being jailed is impossible given the matter must proceed under the law.

The general suggested the next defense minister should be capable, experienced and well abreast of the current situation.

He maintained he will discuss the nomination for the post only with the people who can make a decision about it.

Prayuth went on to say he is ready to meet Pheu Thai’s prospective premier Yingluck Shinawatra as he has said he can talk with any party after the election and all MP-elects are endorsed by the Election Commission

He said criticism against Yingluck's administration should be made after it is given some time to work.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-05

footer_n.gif

Another allegation in respect to senior military officials discussing issues with the former PM. I don't believe that the General met or spoke with former PM Thaksin. However, I do believe that armed forces members, emissaries if you will, have been in dialogue with former PM Thaksin. The hints of such meetings have been in the public domain for quite some time, ever since some other "people" reached out to former Thaksin to urge his assistance in bringing a peaceful end to the confrontations of last year. Slowly, but surely, the whispers are becoing roundabout suggestions. And soon they shall become soft whispers.

On the other hand, it should reassure those members of TVF that have insisted that the former PM is selecting cabinet ministers. After all, when the top military commander states, he will discuss the nomination for the post only with the people who can make a decision about it. then he has to be telling the truth, right? Mr. Thaksin is therefore not involved in the selection process. :lol:

Edited by geriatrickid

Another allegation in respect to senior military officials discussing issues with the former PM. I don't believe that the General met or spoke with former PM Thaksin. However, I do believe that armed forces members, emissaries if you will, have been in dialogue with former PM Thaksin. The hints of such meetings have been in the public domain for quite some time, ever since some other "people" reached out to former Thaksin to urge his assistance in bringing a peaceful end to the confrontations of last year. Slowly, but surely, the whispers are becoing roundabout suggestions. And soon they shall become soft whispers.

On the other hand, it should reassure those members of TVF that have insisted that the former PM is selecting cabinet ministers. After all, when the top military commander states, he will discuss the nomination for the post only with the people who can make a decision about it. then he has to be telling the truth, right? Mr. Thaksin is therefore not involved in the selection process. :lol:

And the top military commander will accept (after his input has been assessed) ALL the decisions by the elected government, and he will bite his lip, as unelected people do in deference to elected people in civilised democracies. We shall see.

It would appear that thaksin has defused and nullified every threat to his expected election victory. Even the honest hard bitten Dem supporters may be doffing their caps to a brilliant politician. Long may he be with us

And the top military commander will accept (after his input has been assessed) ALL the decisions by the elected government, and he will bite his lip, as unelected people do in deference to elected people in civilised democracies. We shall see.

Except when ordered to violate the law, in which case he is obliged to refuse.

It would appear that thaksin has defused and nullified every threat to his expected election victory. Even the honest hard bitten Dem supporters may be doffing their caps to a brilliant politician. Long may he be with us

More devious and evil than brilliant. I saw an article on him in BP where he was showing how busy he was because he had to have 15 mobile phones, all out in front of him. Made him look like a real knob, while he of course felt it made him look important and tech savvy.

Why would he want to lobby Thaksin anyway about an issue like who gets the defence ministry portfolio?

Haven't we heard from the "clone" time and again that her big brother is NOT involved in selecting the future cabinet?

Or am I just being naive here?

"The general suggested the next defense minister should be capable, experienced and well abreast of the current situation."

The eliminates most most polititians here in Thailand, if not in rest of the world.

Edited by pmgthailand

Your problem with logical thought is showing again! When the good general truthfully says that he will only discuss the matter with the new PM, it in no way indicates what the actions of her, her party and her brother will be, and his input would hardly be the sole factor in the decision.

Re contacting k Thaksin to stop last years violence, it obviously didn't work - IMHO because he was paying to have it happen. Given a reasonable number dead, he could smear the govt of the time as murderers, thus ensuring his election victory. And it worked.

Yes rumours and conspiracy theories tend to grow, but that doesn't make them any more correct,or the people spreading them any more intelligent

Army brass don't need help in violating the law. Where would you like me to start? The blatantly obvious, non-politically-aligned stuff can keep us occupied for awhile.

It feels more like jurno's are jockeying for position at the moment. Lot of speculation and which jurno was right at the end of the day? Its when you read in a story, 'they were seen and observed discussing' or the Govt. made public today; then there may be some truth to these whispers.

More devious and evil than brilliant. I saw an article on him in BP where he was showing how busy he was because he had to have 15 mobile phones, all out in front of him. Made him look like a real knob, while he of course felt it made him look important and tech savvy.

RIGHT ON......what a lying knobber.

I have friends who work at The Nation, Bangkok Post and at CNN Asia....all have told me that credible sources are saying that Thaksin is paying BIG TIME with cash perks and with policy benefiting promises to all media outlets that abides with HIS agenda. Bush Jr did the same exact thing in the USA. You people really need to know world politics and history more if you want to make speculations.

I have friends who work at The Nation, Bangkok Post and at CNN Asia....all have told me that credible sources are saying that Thaksin is paying BIG TIME with cash perks and with policy benefiting promises to all media outlets that abides with HIS agenda. Bush Jr did the same exact thing in the USA. You people really need to know world politics and history more if you want to make speculations.

I don't know about the others, but as far as the Post goes, this is absolute crap, sorry. And if history is any guide, Thaksin prefers to lean on media outlets rather than provide cash incentives.

Except when he is ordered to stage a coup. It all depends on who's giving the order.

As long as the army's reason for existence includes things other than serving the people and maintaining the nation's security, certain fundamental laws such as the right to govern will remain at risk. The rule of law needs to be cast iron. No exceptions, no subjectively 'moral' overrides. When the rule of law is so blatantly trodden on by the most powerful entity in the land, arguments to uphold it when it comes to less serious infractions seem all the hollower.

Lets weigh up a coup vs Thaksin's corrupt land deal. Or a coup vs the war on drugs. Or a coup vs Samak on a cooking show. I would suggest a coup would trump all the alternatives at least in terms of being the most well remembered crime among Thais since it effected the lives of everyone in the entire nation. Personally I believe the last coup was still a major influence on the outcome of the last election. I think political parties may promise this and that, but in the end there is still understandable and widespread indignation at that 2006 crime that effected everybody at a stroke and this usurping of the will of the majority of voters in Thailand cannot be forgotten by them, quite understandably.

So going back to the post I'm responding to, it is just a reminder - in its erroneous assumption - that the head of the army is most certainly NOT obliged to refuse breaking the law in certain situations, and the reason for this is something that needs to be corrected if Thailand is to develop in the modern world.

Edited by hanuman1

Your problem with logical thought is showing again! When the good general truthfully says that he will only discuss the matter with the new PM, it in no way indicates what the actions of her, her party and her brother will be, and his input would hardly be the sole factor in the decision.

Re contacting k Thaksin to stop last years violence, it obviously didn't work - IMHO because he was paying to have it happen. Given a reasonable number dead, he could smear the govt of the time as murderers, thus ensuring his election victory. And it worked.

Yes rumours and conspiracy theories tend to grow, but that doesn't make them any more correct,or the people spreading them any more intelligent

Re contacting k Thaksin to stop last years violence, it obviously didn't work - IMHO because he was paying to have it happen.Given a reasonable number dead, he could smear the govt of the time as murderers, thus ensuring his election victory. And it worked.

Oh, how very true....................

If Bush Jr had done as you say, then he didn't get much for his money for the press was very much against him all during his presidency. Sounds more like conspiracy theory to me.

If Bush Jr had done as you say, then he didn't get much for his money for the press was very much against him all during his presidency. Sounds more like conspiracy theory to me.

Wrong, if you remember the press and 90 % majority in my place of citizenship were with him after 9/11, I was one of the 10% who believed Mr. Blix that there were not WMDs in iraq. Dont you remember that if you or the media questioned any of the crap that was coming out of bush and cheney then you were not patriotic,"if your not for us then you are against us". It is sad that in such a short time, these very important things are forgotten.