Lemons

khunkeith

Why don't Thai's grow lemon trees? I found lemons at Foodland once and at Lotus once. but, they are not always stocked. Limes, oranges and grapefruit all over but, no lemons. Any idea why they are nto grown? just not popular with the Thai's or is there a botanical reason? I miss them in my iced tea. Also miss a glass of lemonade on occasion. Nice on a hot day.

Probably because they devote their dirt to rice and rubber. Takes about 15 years for a seed to tree method to produce fruit. Grafted tree to fruit is about 5 years, but ain't any of those here!

Villa has them. Per my usual admonition, please contact your accountant and banker prior to purchase.

Oh, and don't have them ship them. They put mine in with the frozen meats and frozen lemons don't thaw well!

I have found lemons to be quite expensive here, but I use them for many recipes, so I've got to pay. Luckily, they store well, so I bring back large quantities with me when I come from the US.

I hope to move out of my condo into a house later this year or early next, and if I do, I want to bring a couple of Meyer Lemon trees with me to plant. I can then get a few lemons next year, and more each year as the trees get bigger. I just don't know how well the Meyers will grow here, or if there might be a better strain to bring back. I even considered bringing back some in two weeks when I return from my next trip and putting them in planters on my balcony, but I get the afternoon sun and I am afraid they would cook to death.

Lemons and grapefruit comparatively expensive in Friendship. I drink lime juice to prevent scurvy, just as the RN served up when we were in the tropics. We may have been knaves but never scurvy ones. Oh shit and shiver my timbers. My parrot has crapped on my shoulder again.

Yellow lemons are usually available at Rimping-supermarkets, admittedly not very cheap, perhaps the OP should move to Chiang Mai ?

I've also seen a few rai of organic real-lemon trees, growing just outside Mae-Rim, made super lemonade ! :D