Can Tourist Police Volunteers Arrest Anyone?

thaibeachlovers

Was at Walking Street last night, and saw a gang of TPV that were surrounding an elderly guy and shouting at him all together and threatening to arrest him. I always understood that TPVs were there to ASSIST tourists, and if an unruly person required actual arrest, that would be up to the real police. Am I wrong?

A police volunteer, whether it is a regular police volunteer, a traffic police volunteer or a tourist police volunteer has the same rights as any other citizen.

Of course, the volunteers are accompanied by 'regulars' and yes, they will assist with an arrest if necessary.

A police volunteer, whether it is a regular police volunteer, a traffic police volunteer or a tourist police volunteer has the same rights as any other citizen.

Of course, the volunteers are accompanied by 'regulars' and yes, they will assist with an arrest if necessary.

I think you are right, as far as Thai nationals are concerned, but I wonder if the OP meant FOREIGN tourist police volunteers, not Thai ones.

I think you are right, as far as Thai nationals are concerned, but I wonder if the OP meant FOREIGN tourist police volunteers, not Thai ones.

AFAIK, the foreign tourist police volunteers always have to be accompanied by real Thai police officers and THEY will take care of the actual law enforcement.

The foreign volunteers are 'just' there to assist in case a language problem should occur.

IF they can arrest someone - why do they not walk down Beach Road and arrest the Jet Ski Scammers for extorsion..........???

the reason they will not or cannot is the same as City Hall....they are all part of the "corrupt system" in Thailand........!!!

Anyone willing to sign up to be an "Expat Police volunteer" and does nothing to rectify or instruct the local police in the "errors" of their ways only condones the actions of both the criminals and the corrupt police force.....

I rest my case m' lud...

AFAIK, every citizen has the right and duty to arrest/detain someone caught red handed committing a crime. After the arrest the person has to be handed over immediately to the regular police force.

AFAIK, every citizen has the right and duty to arrest/detain someone caught red handed committing a crime. After the arrest the person has to be handed over immediately to the regular police force.

i think you are missing the point a little.. they are farang.. NOT Thai Citizen

In most countries this is entirely at the person's risk. If the person is not convicted the arresting person would be fully liable for damages for unlawful detention and any other losses.

In most countries this is entirely at the person's risk. If the person is not convicted the arresting person would be fully liable for damages for unlawful detention and any other losses.

Not exactly.

If the arrest/detention was made because the person apparently just had committed a crime, then the arrest would be in line with the law, even if at the end the person was proven innocent.

As if, for example, the perp just knoecked dead the victim on the head with some kind of club, and the witness just arrives, the perp throws the club into the hands of the witness who catches the club. In the next 3 seconds, perp disappears and witness bends over the victim to check for pulse. Volunteer appears --> arrest.

no they cant but a small number of them will claim they can, make sure you report if possible because complaints are taken seriously and they will just get worse if allowed to continue

Just ask to see their work permit. Most TP volunteers won't have one.

I was looking carefully for a Thai face ( ie "real" policeman ), but did not see one.

I did indeed.

AFAIK, the foreign tourist police volunteers always have to be accompanied by real Thai police officers and THEY will take care of the actual law enforcement.

The foreign volunteers are 'just' there to assist in case a language problem should occur.

That was my understanding too. However that did not appear to be the case here.

I am concerned that we appear to have "mission creep" here.

I fully support the concept that foreign TPVs are there to ASSIST TOURISTS with problems, but when we see them moving into the realm of dealing with "crimes", it's dangerous territory.

Incidentally, that incident has moved into the realm of urban legend. My wife was told on a bus ( by strangers ) that the old man had gone to WS armed with a gun to take revenge on a BG that had spurned him! I had to point out that a farang armed with a gun on WS would soon be involved with the 'real" cops, LOL.

If any of the TPV that were involved with that situation are reading this, I suggest that surrounding a solitary old ( small ) drunk guy with several people ( many of them large ), and then all simultaneously shouting at him aggresively, is not the best way of dealing with the situation. It's hardly surprising that he became stroppy and confused.

At the least, it gives a very bad impression of the TPVs, and is the sort of thing likely to end up on u-tube.

That was my understanding too. However that did not appear to be the case here.

I am concerned that we appear to have "mission creep" here.

I fully support the concept that foreign TPVs are there to ASSIST TOURISTS with problems, but when we see them moving into the realm of dealing with "crimes", it's dangerous territory.

Incidentally, that incident has moved into the realm of urban legend. My wife was told on a bus ( by strangers ) that the old man had gone to WS armed with a gun to take revenge on a BG that had spurned him! I had to point out that a farang armed with a gun on WS would soon be involved with the 'real" cops, LOL.

I had one of these farang TVPs enter my room and ask to see my passport. to the credit of the tourist police he was fired after I complained but not charged and he has since used a fake police ID to try and gain entry to my room several times. I also know one that takes ladies and then uses his ID to not pay them. some of these guys have problems

i think you are missing the point a little.. they are farang.. NOT Thai Citizen

This has nothing to do with your nationality. If someone breaks into your house and you manage to lock this guy up in your bathroom, and keep him there until the police comes, you do nothing unlawful, even though you are a foreigner.

Not exactly.

If the arrest/detention was made because the person apparently just had committed a crime, then the arrest would be in line with the law, even if at the end the person was proven innocent.

As if, for example, the perp just knoecked dead the victim on the head with some kind of club, and the witness just arrives, the perp throws the club into the hands of the witness who catches the club. In the next 3 seconds, perp disappears and witness bends over the victim to check for pulse. Volunteer appears --> arrest.

That is also my understanding.

Well, I have yet to meet a Volunteer Policeman, who has a work permit for the job, so logically, an arrest is not possible. Think about it.

Although it has nothing to do with the arrest as such (see above), the WP issue is indeed delicate.

One more thing with my moderator cap on: We can have here an open minded discussion, but please refrain from sheer bashing. One post I removed because of this. I do not like to remove further posts along with the posters. cool.gif

saw a very good show about them recently . they seemed to do some good to be honest .i think the show was about two years old .... .from the look of them they can detain u until thai authorities arrive ... incidentally ordinary citizens have the same rights ..

I saw a fight break out a few months back on Walking Street, two falang went at it. One older tourist gang member (gray hair and somewhat fat) pulled out his extendable baton and cracked one of the fighters, who was wrestling on the ground, right in the head with it. I was shocked. Of course that ended the fight, but still... under what authority can he do this?

Then they got the two guys by the police van and started in with the "we're here to help" BS and was telling them how much money they were going to have to pay to the Thai police. It was a disgusting display and abuse of "authority." They were trying to push the crowd along so no one could watch the transaction happen or hear what was going on. The same guy who hit the fighter in the head told me I couldn't stand there and I had to leave. I pointed to the food cart sitting next to me cooking chicken and then ignored him after that. He went off to chase others away.

IMHO, Thailand should give these guys the boot. What tourists need are TRANSLATORS not Foreign Tourist Police. It would be just as easy to have the Thai police sitting there with a few foreign translators. Foreign "police" are not needed. Too many of them abuse whatever authority they do have, and have ruined it for the few honest guys out there.

Too many of them abuse whatever authority they do have, and have ruined it for the few honest guys out there.

Tokay is spot on.

1 - There are some good volunteers who seem to possess the right level of intelligence, common-sense and street-smart to perform their volunteer work without fault and criticism

2 - Then there are some volunteers who are well-intentioned, but who need further guidance and training to do their work without criticism

3 - Finally, there are the rogues, ruffians and nutters who are police volunteers, but who should never have been accepted by the police volunteer chiefs

1 is great

1 and 2 can be made to work to an acceptable level, with monitoring and training

Anything that involves 3 is doomed to failure and valid condemnation by any sensible person

What do you thing the ratio of 1, 2 and 3 is amongst the foreign police volunteers??

Simon

Do volounteers have inactive posts too?

How much inactive can you get :lol:

From what i have seen these guys are there mainly to explain to the troublemakers how a little cash donation might get them out of a whole lot of trouble.

Can't really have a Thai BiB explaining this to a pissed up farang or it would be called err..corruption :rolleyes:

A more interesting question might be whether they actually get a cut of the tea money or are they just the middleman for procuring funds for the BiB

Good for the BiB though, no getting their hands dirty and still get the cash injection at the end of the day..thai police must really laugh at them B)

I would think a good half of them are on a power mission, I say that because I have seen it change guys into idiots who brag about the perks, the free girls, drinks etc, some go OTT and get slung out and some loose friends over it.

Some who do it right are an asset to the cause.

I can not stand them. IMO they are sad and pathetic. If they really wanted to help and volunteer in a real and meaningful way there are a ton of other more worth while causes they could be committing their time to. They get off on the power rush simple as that.

Edited by AndyPooots

some of these guys have problems

LOL. IMO any person who wants to become a Tourist Police Volunteer in Pattaya has a problem. Maybe they like to play pretend cop because they couldn't make the police force in their home countries.

Edited by tropo

I would think a good half of them are on a power mission, I say that because I have seen it change guys into idiots who brag about the perks, the free girls, drinks etc, some go OTT and get slung out and some loose friends over it.

Some who do it right are an asset to the cause.

You're right about that dave,one of your customers has been a plastic policeman for a while now and he thinks he runs the show down there rolleyes.gif

What a waste of space he is,it sounds like he may have been the one whacking people on the head with his baton,sort of thing he'd do isn't it ? The vast majority of them are on an ego trip and like dressing up in uniforms.

As far as I'm concerned they're 99% a waste of time and as many posters have asked where are the real police ??