Bicycle Riding On The Chanthaburi Coast

Atmos

another blog, five riders on the Chanthaburi coast heading up to Rayong, map shows the route taken - all the way up the coast while not having to go onto Sukhumvit #3 at all - good idea!

Apart from they cycling, many great photos and tales here, and places I was not aware of.

P1040014.JPG?v=1

chanmap_zps9a533e87.jpg

Edited by cycloneJ

^ the missing pic from above

kk_zpsaf56f638.jpg

This is at the public campground on the north side of the Paknam Khaem Nu bridge - at the 'Khung Kraben Non-Hunting Area' which is a little confusing possibly as Khung Kraben is another 9km north of here.

Nice spot and very popular with weekend campers, two small/safe beaches suitable for kids swimming, fishing off the rocks and small shop opens Sat/Sun and public hols.

Several short bush walks - 20-40min in the hills behind, offer good views up/down the coast

something different today, a change from cycling on the road, onto sand/mudflats instead.

From the roundabout at north end Chao Lao headed to the sea for a swim, then, as tide was half out (or half in) decided to head south on the sand.

5km, started on medium/hard sand till nearer the pier, from there more difficult/soft, under the pier and continued, two small crossings just over axle-deep (I walked these) the beach south side of the pier is more like tidal mudflat than beach, and not an area I'd choose to swim at.

Met two German cycle tourists taking a break at the top of the hill between CL and Paknam Khaem Nu, their second Chanthaburi cycling trip, last one four years ago.

A simple map (because that is the best I could do!

clmap_zps5f73a07e.jpg

Wide tyres required, facing southwards, over the hill to Paknam Kaem Nu

0703004_zpsdf92c502.jpg

a good workout for my calf muscles

Note, The map above on post #31 you can not follow in a car. I tried a few months ago, Somewhere near Klaeng I had to back track to the #3 for a bit as no road bridge. This trip is very detailed in the blog, I have no doubts they got through, maybe on a foot bridge or something. I deleted that trip record off the GPS to find the exact spot.

Note, there are free facilities & a very well kept campground at Lam Sadet Beach, (Chao Lao Beach - Northern end) It is first in first served, only fills up on Thai special long weeks ends. Heaps of 500B a night rooms any way. I will dig up a phone number so people have it for future reference of the Gov folks who manage it. It is just south of the free aquarium. The "manager" is just south of the camp ground in a brick building with a little car park out the front.

• Like 1

^cheers

there was one 'added extra' on yesterday's ride

pedalling along the road as I was, then a lot of noise as one of these came crashing at speed though hedge/scrub roadside

well - and I have re-enacted this for daughter which she thought was very very funny - I must have pedalled like a cartoon character - legs just a blur for about 50-60m that was a surprise/shock I didn't need.

Wife says it's my 'safety orange' cycling shirt

whatever, no good for the heart! A change from being chased by dogs. I looked back when sure I was out of danger, it's horns were not as big as this one, straighter and about same width as my handlebars.

They're quite fast over a short distance.

Buffalo-Thailand_zps208e022e.jpg

^^^ campgrounds. There are also campgrounds at the National Parks at Namtok Phlio and Kitchakut that as well as tent areas (and tents for hire) have cabins for rent.

I'm surprised when I see cycle tourists camping as so much extra gear to haul, last year we met a couple (with 15mth boy) from Argentina who had completed 12,000km of a world ride, they were staying at the Laem Sadet campground. They were riding a tandem (seen with all the touring bags removed here) with baby in the trailer. From Chanthaburi they were heading into Cambodia through the Ban Pakkard crossing. That road - Highway 317 - is one I would never consider cycling, but unavoidable if that's the direction you need to go.

arg_zps7328f756.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Note, The map above on post #31 you can not follow in a car. I tried a few months ago, Somewhere near Klaeng I had to back track to the #3 for a bit as no road bridge. This trip is very detailed in the blog, I have no doubts they got through, maybe on a foot bridge or something. I deleted that trip record off the GPS to find the exact spot.

Those cyclists took a boat across the river; but there is a bridge, as you mention, about 6km inland towards Klaeng.

We were at Paknam Prasae yesterday, there is a major bridge under construction which will join the two sides of the Chaloem Burapha Coast Highway that starts south of Laem Sing about 80km away on the south Chan coast.

Didn't realise the bridge was incomplete - just looked 'new' - no lane markings, and the road took off at height over the mangroves so went along at slow speed enjoying the views. And then it ended! Better signposting would help!

bridge_zps66b747fb.jpg

The road all the way to Prasae on the highway has the red (faded to pink in places, but clearly signposted) cycle lanes, a far better/safer option than heading to Rayong etc on Sukhumvit 3, and better views too.

2303006_zpsd7828894.jpg2303008_zpsc8247671.jpg

Encouraging passing cyclists, this little cafe Coffee Way is near Noen Song on Sukhumvit 3, about 10km from Chan city (on way towards Rayong)

Nice outdoor area if you're too sweaty - but inside is air-con to cool off.

coffee_way_zpsaca65d54.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

adding to post #38

one reason we headed to Prasae was to see this Navy ship HTMS Prasae (formerly US Navy USS Gallup PF-47, Soviet Navy EK-22) which is located at the rivermouth

htmsphrasae1_zpse98bfe29.jpg

more info on this thread (see Post 19)

Edited by cycloneJ

• 10 months later...