Isaan, Farmers Idea Exchange

I'll be with you too and hopefully will have a good excuse (not that we need one) for another Leo - to toast Kwonitoy's baby (unless late as 1st.s are liable to be!!). All the best and so we will have to wait longer before having the pleasure of meeting you and family.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in for 95% as I maybe have to run to Europe for a few days next month. My social calendar is as empty as JC but not my work calendar. I need the worms to start up a compost and as I understand they good food for my frogs... You can help with rooms etc? Great if you can PM me a phone number.

Looking forward to see you all

Bosse

Firstly, to Tingtong. Since I joined this forum I have enjoyed the valuable advice of many members who shared their experiences and knowledge. To me that is the whole point of this forum. So you my friend are more than welcome in my book. Hopefully we all will learn something on each of these occasions.

And to GB, me ol' atomic bomby mate, thanks for the logo. It gives me an idea for the day to add a bit of interest. How about we come up with two prizes that can be awarded each field day, perhaps by survey afterwards. Obviously best idea or gimmic for the day, which in keeping with the prohibitive nature of the farming profession here in Thailand, maybe "Farming Advisor of the event". At the other end of the scale, oh, this one is harder. It needs to be humorous but not insulting, hmm???? Any ideas? Open question to all, coming or not.

See the idea is both awards need to be worth winning. If it is fun then it may help this event continue past the first or second occasion, The problem is there are a few champions out there that are just funny guys who would do anything on the spur of the moment and would win a novelty award every time. I have heard that one of our members deliberately drove his tractor through a wasps nest collecting more stings than would kill a buffalo and then nose dived the tractor into a klong. Then self medicated while in hospital with the full range of the hospitals dispensary at his disposal. Well if that is true, how would anyone beat that? If it was a beer drinking competition, well we would all be on "rubber legs" trying to keep up with one member I can think of.

I suppose what I am heading towards is whatever is the venue or the topics discussed, we should have some feedback to the forum at large so everyone can participate. Who knows, maybe we will end up with regional groupings trying to outdo each other. After all most of us will travel just so far for a beer and a chat, it is the forum itself that attracts me and it would be great if we can hinge off that.

If you read this Bina, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Isaan Aussie

Firstly, to Tingtong. Since I joined this forum I have enjoyed the valuable advice of many members who shared their experiences and knowledge. To me that is the whole point of this forum. So you my friend are more than welcome in my book. Hopefully we all will learn something on each of these occasions.

And to GB, me ol' atomic bomby mate, thanks for the logo. It gives me an idea for the day to add a bit of interest. How about we come up with two prizes that can be awarded each field day, perhaps by survey afterwards. Obviously best idea or gimmic for the day, which in keeping with the prohibitive nature of the farming profession here in Thailand, maybe "Farming Advisor of the event". At the other end of the scale, oh, this one is harder. It needs to be humorous but not insulting, hmm???? Any ideas? Open question to all, coming or not.

See the idea is both awards need to be worth winning. If it is fun then it may help this event continue past the first or second occasion, The problem is there are a few champions out there that are just funny guys who would do anything on the spur of the moment and would win a novelty award every time. I have heard that one of our members deliberately drove his tractor through a wasps nest collecting more stings than would kill a buffalo and then nose dived the tractor into a klong. Then self medicated while in hospital with the full range of the hospitals dispensary at his disposal. Well if that is true, how would anyone beat that? If it was a beer drinking competition, well we would all be on "rubber legs" trying to keep up with one member I can think of.

I suppose what I am heading towards is whatever is the venue or the topics discussed, we should have some feedback to the forum at large so everyone can participate. Who knows, maybe we will end up with regional groupings trying to outdo each other. After all most of us will travel just so far for a beer and a chat, it is the forum itself that attracts me and it would be great if we can hinge off that.

If you read this Bina, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Isaan Aussie

Rahhuerer (that is the response you'll get, after many consumed beers, in regards to any proposals you do propose (such prose) ). So in that way Rahhuerer to the above thought even though I am beerless at the moment (530am). I'll bring photos for the best ideas prize and try not to go to sleep in the compost bins to win the other. FF

Ok I have an idea for a single award. I suggest the Moo Bin Dai award. Or the Pigs can fly award.

To be awarded only when someone demonstrates something improbable, fascinating, or incredibly funny. Something that could only happen after pigs learn to fly. From a beating all odds story to FEF going to sleep in my compost bin.

Ok I have an idea for a single award. I suggest the Moo Bin Dai award. Or the Pigs can fly award.

To be awarded only when someone demonstrates something improbable, fascinating, or incredibly funny. Something that could only happen after pigs learn to fly. From a beating all odds story to FEF going to sleep in my compost bin.

Okay but you are fraidy, as I say, as i can make a Ford Fly even if the landing needs improvement but we'll stick to hogs in the air types of things. So we'll see what the others bring to the table. I withdraw my "impossible" rippers mounted backwards on the front of the Ford as all the Thais know that can't work and the cock eyed dozer blade that I now have on the tractor can't be right since it isn't straight anymore like everybody else so that won't count either. I'll be looking for a real "hog flyer" and hope to get some inspiration listening to Jerry Jeff Walker and Ry Cooder at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco as you never know when you may want to hitch a ride on a wild flying hog. Suuuuuueeeeeeeee Flying Fords Forever

Listen here Jack of the impossible Rippers, Jack of the nitrogen fixing green manure Beanstalks, dont be so quick to dismiss good ideas. Anyone with a tractor would be more than ready to vote those in. Even Jack of the Box scraper would get my vote.

But they have got to be seen first, so are you volunteering to host a field day? You should, plenty to learn from your finger prints in the dyke walls.

Edit: Maybe a good date would be the 66th of the 10th?

Edited by IsaanAussie

Bring your Workpermits with You..:D

There is one of us that doesnt "advise" our wives every day. Did you know that Thailand's BOI promotes foreign investment in farming, especially in management skills. What we do is fun, and the advise usually needs some practical training which gives us a bit of exercise. No I doubt we will need anything like that on the day.

Listen here Jack of the impossible Rippers, Jack of the nitrogen fixing green manure Beanstalks, dont be so quick to dismiss good ideas. Anyone with a tractor would be more than ready to vote those in. Even Jack of the Box scraper would get my vote.

But they have got to be seen first, so are you volunteering to host a field day? You should, plenty to learn from your finger prints in the dyke walls.

Let's look at the dry season (like our place has been for the last two months) like maybe the 44th of the 4th or something close to that when everything is kicked in (like my toot) and the new growing season is well underway. Remember while bringing all permits and forms (I'll bring the 50 pages required by the govt for our certification into organic by ACT) (isn't it great that some guys on TV are real sweethearts and love to contribute with a big blow fly in the ointment of soothing salves by contributing nothing but negativity?) not to travel over the speed limit and come to a complete stop at all stop signs. I will be adding other very important pieces of advice and do hope that I may be "permitted" to even die in Thailand as i hear that the Drs are trying to repeal the Euthanasia Law that was just implemented. I wonder if it is permitted to use human blood as a fertilizer as I know I have unfortunately contributed a bunch in the process of trying to help my family achieve the King's greatest goal for the people, which is Sustainability in the "Sufficiency Economy" of Farming. good on you IA for bringing this out to the masses by getting your operation of "Hospital Sanitary Standards" for hog raising with integrated management of composts for use and resale along with an extremely efficient worm compost farm all highlighted by Thai PBS in a broadcast to the nation. I'm glad your family permitted them to get some hands on experience of what is really new, innovative and possible in todays world (I know you were mighty confident having Duang's mom, the 27 kilo enforcer at your side for back up). Others will obviously be permitted to observe and benefit from the planned gathering and should be a good fun family affair, weather permitting. I know there is a verse from a Dylan song i could throw in now but it eludes me. FF

Well Shaggy, you have seen my place recently so there is nothing much from my side that you will miss out on. What gets revealed from the group gathered remains to be seen. I am hoping to get a few good ideas to improve what I'm doing. Hopefully for the group we will all learn something.

FEF, me ol' Mexican Banana, great, the 44th of the 4th sounds like sometime in April. But despite downsizing the tractor, that still leaves room for one or two more in between. I seem to remember AA1's concept was for every 3 months, so who is going to volunteer for one before Christmas? This could be tricky for rice farmers with OS holiday plans so if I can suggest around the second week of December?

Now, Sept is Sisaket, April is Buriram, how about Surin or Ubon for December? Now I would never put pressure on AA1 or JC so I am completely open to other suggestions.

Now if you are tempted but unsure, then I might suggest this. The format is open, the objective is to show everyone what you are doing and open the floor to discussion. I dont see anything hard in that. Is it a competition? Hell no, I live under a verandah, the only thing approaching a palace around here is occupied by my pigs. Shaggy reported that someone else told him "I wouldn't mind having his pig sty, its the F'king Ritz". Well the truth is it is far from finished. So other than a few novel integration ideas I really don't have a lot to offer but a lot to learn.

Always room for improvement. Never enough friends.

Isaan Aussie

hi.......... following the development; love to see pics; i think its a great idea; i howver will still be here in the holyland behind a desk... havent touched goat shit for about four years now, hubby is the one working the soil (for someone else's winery)....

it appears that hubby is more and more resigned to staying here as opposed to going back to muu baan soeng seang korat since he doesnt want to support sisters and brother and parents with his hard earned shekels...

contemplating leaving kibbutz in two years time when the youngest goes in to the army; mvoing to some slightly agricultural areaa around here, but not doing agriculture (no money in that around here anymore if u dont have capital family and contacts)so may never have the money needed for going back and forth and keeping some sort of farm in the muu baan. however, am delighted to follow others' ventures vicariously because 'ya never know' ; life is dynamic and we might end up anyhow n the family compound........

we can always pin the photos/comments after the get together.....

bina

Well Shaggy, you have seen my place recently so there is nothing much from my side that you will miss out on. What gets revealed from the group gathered remains to be seen. I am hoping to get a few good ideas to improve what I'm doing. Hopefully for the group we will all learn something.

FEF, me ol' Mexican Banana, great, the 44th of the 4th sounds like sometime in April. But despite downsizing the tractor, that still leaves room for one or two more in between. I seem to remember AA1's concept was for every 3 months, so who is going to volunteer for one before Christmas? This could be tricky for rice farmers with OS holiday plans so if I can suggest around the second week of December?

Now, Sept is Sisaket, April is Buriram, how about Surin or Ubon for December? Now I would never put pressure on AA1 or JC so I am completely open to other suggestions.

Now if you are tempted but unsure, then I might suggest this. The format is open, the objective is to show everyone what you are doing and open the floor to discussion. I dont see anything hard in that. Is it a competition? Hell no, I live under a verandah, the only thing approaching a palace around here is occupied by my pigs. Shaggy reported that someone else told him "I wouldn't mind having his pig sty, its the F'king Ritz". Well the truth is it is far from finished. So other than a few novel integration ideas I really don't have a lot to offer but a lot to learn.

Isaan Aussie

As I have said before anyone is welcome here [ as long as they bring beer] but it would be a camping stay. Nearest Farang bar 137 km, nears resort, if you can call a few huts a resort 20 km. nearest Tesco's about 65 km away. If you are the outgoing sort we could all head up tho the jungle and camp the night. The bandits have been less active this year and we can take two border soldiers with us. I'm good any time except Xmas new year as we take the kids back to OZ for their presents. Jim

Let's look at the dry season (like our place has been for the last two months) like maybe the 44th of the 4th or something close to that when everything is kicked in (like my toot) and the new growing season is well underway. Remember while bringing all permits and forms (I'll bring the 50 pages required by the govt for our certification into organic by ACT) (isn't it great that some guys on TV are real sweethearts and love to contribute with a big blow fly in the ointment of soothing salves by contributing nothing but negativity?) not to travel over the speed limit and come to a complete stop at all stop signs. I will be adding other very important pieces of advice and do hope that I may be "permitted" to even die in Thailand as i hear that the Drs are trying to repeal the Euthanasia Law that was just implemented. I wonder if it is permitted to use human blood as a fertilizer as I know I have unfortunately contributed a bunch in the process of trying to help my family achieve the King's greatest goal for the people, which is Sustainability in the "Sufficiency Economy" of Farming. good on you IA for bringing this out to the masses by getting your operation of "Hospital Sanitary Standards" for hog raising with integrated management of composts for use and resale along with an extremely efficient worm compost farm all highlighted by Thai PBS in a broadcast to the nation. I'm glad your family permitted them to get some hands on experience of what is really new, innovative and possible in todays world (I know you were mighty confident having Duang's mom, the 27 kilo enforcer at your side for back up). Others will obviously be permitted to observe and benefit from the planned gathering and should be a good fun family affair, weather permitting. I know there is a verse from a Dylan song i could throw in now but it eludes me. FF

I was "wandering" if he has a work-permit to "Paint his Waggon"

I was "wandering" if he has a work-permit to "Paint his Waggon"

I was born under a wandering star. wheels are made rollin........ Jack of Hearts ona Ford Forever

Well hot dog that is it Jack, I've got the Dylan song IA, and here it is, good things do come to some that wait. Enjoy it's been a long time since I've enjoyed this one. I hope ya all do too.

"Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts"

The festival was over and the boys were all planning for a fall

The cabaret was quiet except for the drilling in the wall

The curfew had been lifted and the gambling wheel shut down

Anyone with any sense had already left town

He was standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts.

He moved across the mirrored room "Set it up for everyone" he said

Then everyone commenced to do what they were doin' before he turned their heads

Then he walked up to a stranger and he asked him with a grin

"Could you kindly tell me friend what time the show begins ?"

Then he moved into the corner face down like the Jack of Hearts.

Backstage the girls were playing five card stud by the stairs

Lily had two queens she was hoping for a third to match her pair

Outside the streets were filling up, the window was open wide

A gentle breeze was blowing, you could feel it from inside

Lily called another bet and drew up the Jack of Hearts.

Big Jim was no one's fool, he owned the town's only diamond mine

He made his usual entrance looking so dandy and so fine

With his bodyguards and silver cane and every hair in place

He took whatever he wanted to and he laid it all to waste

But his bodyguards and silver cane were no match for the Jack of Hearts.

Rosemary combed her hair and took a carriage into town

She slipped in through the side door looking like a queen without a crown

She fluttered her false eyelashes and whispered in his ear

"Sorry darling, that I'm late", but he didn't seem to hear

He was staring into space over at the Jack of Hearts.

"I know I've seen that face somewhere" Big Jim was thinking to himself

"Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf"

But then the crowd began to stamp their feet and the house lights did dim

And in the darkness of the room there was only Jim and him

Staring at the butterfly who just drew the Jack of Hearts.

Lily was a princess she was fair-skinned and precious as a child

She did whatever she had to do she had that certain flash every time she smiled

She'd come away from a broken home had lots of strange affairs

With men in every walk of life which took her everywhere

But she'd never met anyone quite like the Jack of Hearts.

The hanging judge came in unnoticed and was being wined and dined

The drilling in the wall kept up but no one seemed to pay it any mind

It was known all around that Lily had Jim's ring

And nothing would ever come between Lily and the king

No nothing ever would except maybe the Jack of Hearts.

Rosemary started drinking hard and seeing her reflection in the knife

She was tired of the attention tired of playing the role of Big Jim's wife

She had done a lot of bad things even once tried suicide

Was looking to do just one good deed before she died

She was gazing to the future riding on the Jack of Hearts.

Lily took her dress off and buried it away

"Has your luck run out?" she laughed at him.

"Well I guess you must have known it would someday

Be careful not to touch the wall there's a brand new coat of paint

I'm glad to see you're still alive you're looking like a saint"

Down the hallway footsteps were coming for the Jack of Hearts.

The backstage manager was pacing all around by his chair

"There's something funny going on" he said " I can just feel it in the air"

He went to get the hanging judge but the hanging judge was drunk

As the leading actor hurried by in the costume of a monk

There was no actor anywhere better than the Jack of Hearts.

No one knew the circumstance, but they say it happened pretty quick

The door to the dressing room burst open a Colt revolver clicked

And big Jim was standing there you couldn't say surprised

Rosemary right beside him studying her eyes

She was with big Jim but she was leaning to the Jack of Hearts.

Two doors down the boys finally made it through the wall

And cleaned out the bank safe it's said that they got off with quite a haul

In the darkness by the riverbed they waited on the ground

For one more member who had business back in town

But they couldn't go no further without the Jack of Hearts.

The next day was hanging day the sky was overcast and black

Big Jim lay covered up killed by a penknife in the back

And Rosemary on the gallows she didn't even blink

The hanging judge was sober he hadn't had a drink

The only person on the scene missing was the Jack of Hearts.

The cabaret was empty now a sign said. "Closed for repair"

Lily had already taken all of the dye out of her hair

She was thinking about her father who she very rarely saw

Thinking about Rosemary and thinking about the law

But most of all she was thinking about the Jack of Hearts.

From "Blood On The Tracks" maybe one of the greatest modern blues albums ever released bar none. Rumour had it that Big Jim worked for CP. Thanks for the inspiration Grime on the Bobley.

Edited by Foreverford

Isaan Aussie

IA.

I'm afraid that I got you into this in the first place so, of course, I will be only too delighted to host a December visit. Date can either be arranged now or discussed at yours in Sepember. I can fit in with what would suit the rest of you. We are 8/9 km. from Highway 24/Sangkha so is 'quite' easy to reach from either the 24 or from Sangha, having come down the Surin-Sangkha road. BIT bumpy for a fair part of the last 4-5 km.!!

I'm afraid our diet will be rather rubbery compared to your crackles. I do still have 1 packet of 'Mr Porky' left from my last visit back to England BUT afraid they will have gone well before then!!

All the best and look forward to meeting everyone at yours,

Anthony.

Isaan Aussie

What ever the outcome i am sure that a good day/night/day will be had by all and if anything new in the meantime can be learned then that will be a bonus.as a result from my visit to yours i have had to re-plan and rethink my next building....the crates are out and group housing the sows are in (think it's going to cost me an arm and a leg maybe even a kidney and possibly a divorce).

Shaggy

Kudos, IA ;)

Keep it rolling and positive!!

Good luck to all!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement. There have been several discussions on holding an event like this but none of us has taken it any further. My praise goes to AA1 for reviving the idea, and for offering to host number 2.

As a note to all. You dont have to be a farmer to join in. Green fingered gardeners and drivers looking for a new destination are all welcome.

In the last few days I have had some interesting phone conversations with other TV members. The one question that has emerged repeatedly is "Why pigs?"

Well I looked at many different animal opportunities (being a dog lover but the return is to low) and pigs were the obvious chopice. Heres the logic behind the choice:

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

(Hardly seems worth it..)

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

(Now that's more like it!)

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

(O.M.G.!)

A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.

(In my next life, I want to be a pig.)

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy.)

(I'm still not over the pig.)

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

(Don't try this at home ; maybe at work.)

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body.. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

(Honey, I'm home .. What the...?)

The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.

(30 minutes. Lucky pig! Can you imagine?)

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.

(What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)

Some lions mate over 50 times a day.

(I still want to be a pig in my next life...quality over quantity.)

Butterflies taste with their feet.

(Something I always wanted to know.)

The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.

(Hmmmmmm.......)

(Thats because in too many people it never stops moving!!)

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.

(If you're ambidextrous, do you split the difference?)

Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.

(Okay, so that would be a good thing..)

A cat's urine glows under a black light.

(I wonder how much the government paid to figure that out. Why doesn't the government spend some $$ figuring out how to cross a pig and a lion??

Then in my next life, I could come back as a lion pig!! Not a lying pig, we already have them, they are called politicians!!!!)

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

(I know some people like that.)

Starfish & jellyfish have no brains.

(I know some people like that, too.)

Polar bears are left-handed.

(If they switch, they'll live a lot longer.)

Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

(What about that pig? Do the dolphins know about the pig?)

In the last few days I have had some interesting phone conversations with other TV members. The one question that has emerged repeatedly is "Why pigs?"

Well I looked at many different animal opportunities (being a dog lover but the return is to low) and pigs were the obvious chopice. Heres the logic behind the choice:

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

(O.M.G.!)

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy.)

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body.. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.

(Hmmmmmm.......)

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.

(I wonder how much the government paid to figure that out. Why doesn't the government spend some $ figuring out how to cross a pig and a lion??

Then in my next life, I could come back as a lion pig!! Not a lying pig, we already have them, they are called politicians!!!!)

Hey I/A I'll vote to be reincarnated a lion as it said nothing about the marriage thing and it can possibly have 50 different partners, so it's a vote for diversity over indurance. So oif you could put a set of wings on that cross between a dolphin, lion and hog you'd crreate the perfect dream. Flyin' like a Lion with Fords Forever

Kudos, IA ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. There have been several discussions on holding an event like this but none of us has taken it any further. My praise goes to AA1 for reviving the idea, and for offering to host number 2.

As a note to all. You dont have to be a farmer to join in. Green fingered gardeners and drivers looking for a new destination are all welcome.

As you might know, there are a considerable numbers of Thai collectives and farming/gardening support groups that have made extensive inroads towards developing the scheme of breaking away from the "controllers" of government/corporate circles. I'm always delighted to understand that this general atmosphere has growth and gaining access everyday.

(O.M.G.!)

(Hmmmmmm.......)

(I wonder how much the government paid to figure that out. Why doesn't the government spend some $$ figuring out how to cross a pig and a lion??

Which do you want to be?

post-64535-0-38151500-1313434559_thumb.gpost-64535-0-20828700-1313434615_thumb.g

Kudos, IA ;)

Hi IA

Count me in as well! I'd like to catch up with some new people! I'm not much of a farmer, but my wife has a Farm Stay, I live on a "small" farm, love watching trees grow, and I guess Jim is looking for a driver? :rolleyes:

You need to put some Singhas in the fridge though! :D

OK, there is interest, shake the tree, rock the Ford interest. Darn it drive the tractor over edge interest. Get bitten by wasps, do it all in a day OK here we go stuff.

So we have a date parameter, in a couple of months.

OK 24 farmers, date set for October, OK? Got time? Got a question or an answer?

IA

My question is how much did it cost for a work permit,and if u havent got one i would delete this thread very quickly

My question is how much did it cost for a work permit,and if u havent got one i would delete this thread very quickly

Somtampet,

Thanks for the heads up. But for an educational/advisory get together, I dont believe anyone will need to bring such documentation. I dont anticipate any "work" being done other than the effort of holding a glass. Personally my wife and I are well known to the local authorities and take great pleasure in advising local people, mostly farmers, in any way we can. It is surprising how much "traditional knowlege" exists around you and how eagerly it is offered if sought. Extremely interesting and very educational.

Bergen,

Welcome aboard. Singha gives me a headache, and its more expensive, but for you why not consider it done. Listen how close are you to JC's. If it is within DUI driving distance then perhaps you could supply the accomodation for a day at Jim's? I for one would love to see his "families" rubber operation.

IA