Isaan, Farmers Idea Exchange

It takes me an hour to drive to Jim, a bit less than it takes to Sisaket.

We have a fair sized restaurant, bar with pool table, lots of fruit trees, young rubber trees, herbs, flowers, ponds, a river, and more, and it's a nice place to party! :whistling:

Our web site is just updated with lots of new photos, and can be found on my profile. :D

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos, IA ;)

Keep it rolling and positive!!

Good luck to all!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement. There have been several discussions on holding an event like this but none of us has taken it any further. My praise goes to AA1 for reviving the idea, and for offering to host number 2.

As a note to all. You dont have to be a farmer to join in. Green fingered gardeners and drivers looking for a new destination are all welcome.

Hi IA

Count me in as well! I'd like to catch up with some new people! I'm not much of a farmer, but my wife has a Farm Stay, I live on a "small" farm, love watching trees grow, and I guess Jim is looking for a driver? :rolleyes:

You need to put some Singhas in the fridge though! :D

Good for you Trond, I was dreading the drive, was going to take the new chopper, but will ride to your place instead. No driving and I can drink more beer. Jim

It takes me an hour to drive to Jim, a bit less than it takes to Sisaket.

We have a fair sized restaurant, bar with pool table, lots of fruit trees, young rubber trees, herbs, flowers, ponds, a river, and more, and it's a nice place to party! :whistling:

Our web site is just updated with lots of new photos, and can be found on my profile. :D

WOW. a great setup, very impressed Bergen.

Hi IA

I probably haven't paid enough attention to earlier posts, and I know it's a bit early, but........... any driving directions to your farm?.... :D

Hi Bergen,

I will send out directions later but from the south, you head through Khukhan on highway 220 and I'm about 12 kms north in a village near Hua Sua.

Hi IA

I probably haven't paid enough attention to earlier posts, and I know it's a bit early, but........... any driving directions to your farm?.... :D

Hi Bergen,

I will send out directions later but from the south, you head through Khukhan on highway 220 and I'm about 12 kms north in a village near Hua Sua.

OK and thanks IA! :D

This is a great idea. I would love to join. Can someone please confirm the 17,18 Sept is now fixed dates? If the map is here somewhere, I will find it. Will be great to find out what exciting projects you are all doing. Please PM me with confirmed details or other relevant information. Great, I will be coming from Rayong area. Thanks

This is a great idea. I would love to join. Can someone please confirm the 17,18 Sept is now fixed dates? If the map is here somewhere, I will find it. Will be great to find out what exciting projects you are all doing. Please PM me with confirmed details or other relevant information. Great, I will be coming from Rayong area. Thanks

Hi there and welcome. Rayong are you a rubber man, Jim

Kanom,

The event is set for the weekend of the 17th and 18th. I anticipate most people will be here for Saturday afternoon and evening. But at this stage you can assume it is open house for the weekend. General directions are in earlier posts and I will send out more information closer to the date. We currently have 12 members attending and we will move to using PM's a little later.

Welcome aboard. Coming from Rayong, goodness that sure is on the outskirts of Isaan!

To everyone else, any ideas or suggestions on forum or program would be most welcome. If you are looking for something or wanting to sell something then perhaps we should start to collect that information so your deals can be done on the day.

Isaan Aussie

Hi Jim,

No, I am not a rubber man!

I am currently(for the last 15 yrs) working in the oil Industry in Thailand. Have an office at Map Ta Phut. Have use of 25 Rai ( NNE) and looking to meet up with others for discussions and a beer or two!

Look forward to the trip.

There is a lot of background noise in some other topics which seem to be pointed at our meet up. The purpose is to discuss farm mangement and operations, exchange good practical ideas and meet others face to face. A group of farangs with valid visas meeting in rural Thailand is no more questionable than getting together in any bar in Bangkok.

On the other hand I do have a few weeds in the rice paddies that need pulling! It may make a change to having your leg pulled?

I hope everyone treats these issues in context and irrelevant to the day we are planning.

All I can say to any trolls is, "Back under the bridge."

I, for one only can take down such behavior and questioning of such meeting to jealousy.

And yes, it will be not that whole lot different than any other meeting in a bar, in regards, farangs talk about a shared interest of their.

Whoever dont like, dont care, looking for trouble, should just keep things to themselves and find another topic to moan about.

I think the meeting idea is indeed a great one, and maybe more such should be there for similar interest groups, doesnt matter it is car modification, computer programing, sharing travel stories, or farming for that matter!

I, for one only can take down such behavior and questioning of such meeting to jealousy.

And yes, it will be not that whole lot different than any other meeting in a bar, in regards, farangs talk about a shared interest of their.

Whoever dont like, dont care, looking for trouble, should just keep things to themselves and find another topic to moan about.

I think the meeting idea is indeed a great one, and maybe more such should be there for similar interest groups, doesnt matter it is car modification, computer programing, sharing travel stories, or farming for that matter!

Totally agree! Well spoken! :thumbsup:

How correct IssanAusie and TingTong are. A great, simple idea does not need complication. A meet up and a chat with people with similar interests is all there is. Simple.

There are so many forums of good intent destroyed by a few 'trolls'( to quote above).

How correct IssanAusie and TingTong are. A great, simple idea does not need complication. A meet up and a chat with people with similar interests is all there is. Simple.

There are so many forums of good intent destroyed by a few 'trolls'( to quote above).

:thumbsup: +1

Since this started I have had a number of chats with different people about how we can add some value to a pleasant day with new friends. I have a stockpile of compost and I am building up a worm farm but have little capacity there, and that is basically spoken for, but WormFarmer is joining us and he has the volume already if you need it. Pneusdt (excuse the spelling), is growing cashews for export and JC sits atop a honey mountain. Isaanbeef wants to buy cattle.

It seems to me that we should all think about what we want to get or to get rid of before the day. Bring what you have and exchange for what you want. Appeal to anyone? Happy to coordinate just let me know.

Basic program, open house Saturday morning and afternoon, walk around chat whatever. Anyone who wants specific details please let me know so I can spend time on it with you. Saturday evening BBQ, farm bacon and sausages, salads and hopefully honey pancakes and waffles. Havent got chickens at the moment so I need an egg supplier. If I get time then lime sorbet as well. I figure it will run about 100 baht a head. Of course this is Isaan so the wifes will probably prefer to eat something more local. We stock beer and spy cooler and happy to put on anything else you want, or just bring it with you, no corkage and village prices.

Alternative, there is a resort closer to Khukhan that does a good Thai menu at fair prices and has decent rooms. Up to you guys. Let me know which way you would prefer. It is no imposition here under the verandah, village has tables and chairs and women that want to cook for a few baht. I can use the local face.

All in all, I an really excited about this first get together. I have been screwed over by the locals due to my own ignorance as much as anyone. But I see this is an opportunity where we all may be able to realise a few things that are not possible as individuals. And after this long, if it doesnt work out, so what. Blame me, everyone else does! All prick and ribs with broad shoulders.

I have a friend coming from Pattaya building a hydroponics business who wants to join in. If you want to bring non TV member friends with an interest I see no reason why not.

Finally, I havent talked to everyone so any fresh ideas are welcome.

Isaan Aussie.

What a brilliant and generous idea!!!

I'm not a full time farmer, just hope to be one day. live in Bangkok but have some cassava in Chayapoum

and would be great to swap ideas if there are any other growers coming.

Would love to come but just cannot commit right now if that is ok will let you know nearer the time.

Will donate a box of beer Chang if I make it (Leo is ok but Chang is wonderful :)

By the way how far are you from Bangkok kilos/hours driving? + advice on best route to take would be handy as

am very good at getting lost!

Steve

PS am a rugby nut and the world cup is on. Any true vision near you?

Since this started I have had a number of chats with different people about how we can add some value to a pleasant day with new friends. I have a stockpile of compost and I am building up a worm farm but have little capacity there, and that is basically spoken for, but WormFarmer is joining us and he has the volume already if you need it. Pneusdt (excuse the spelling), is growing cashews for export and JC sits atop a honey mountain. Isaanbeef wants to buy cattle.

It seems to me that we should all think about what we want to get or to get rid of before the day. Bring what you have and exchange for what you want. Appeal to anyone? Happy to coordinate just let me know.

Basic program, open house Saturday morning and afternoon, walk around chat whatever. Anyone who wants specific details please let me know so I can spend time on it with you. Saturday evening BBQ, farm bacon and sausages, salads and hopefully honey pancakes and waffles. Havent got chickens at the moment so I need an egg supplier. If I get time then lime sorbet as well. I figure it will run about 100 baht a head. Of course this is Isaan so the wifes will probably prefer to eat something more local. We stock beer and spy cooler and happy to put on anything else you want, or just bring it with you, no corkage and village prices.

Alternative, there is a resort closer to Khukhan that does a good Thai menu at fair prices and has decent rooms. Up to you guys. Let me know which way you would prefer. It is no imposition here under the verandah, village has tables and chairs and women that want to cook for a few baht. I can use the local face.

All in all, I an really excited about this first get together. I have been screwed over by the locals due to my own ignorance as much as anyone. But I see this is an opportunity where we all may be able to realise a few things that are not possible as individuals. And after this long, if it doesnt work out, so what. Blame me, everyone else does! All prick and ribs with broad shoulders.

I have a friend coming from Pattaya building a hydroponics business who wants to join in. If you want to bring non TV member friends with an interest I see no reason why not.

Finally, I havent talked to everyone so any fresh ideas are welcome.

Isaan Aussie.

I never commented on this, great idea; I wish I could make it.

I have a young child in school and a busy schedule. Sisaket, from my location, is too far for a day-trip.

As I see it, the greatest need is for organizing. Serious producers of similar products should attempt pooing knowledge for enhanced profitability & productivity.

In Thai, there are a wealth of resources for those inclined to use them.

The difference in between those using real science and those using village witchcraft; is amazing at the pocketbook level.

Good luck

What a brilliant and generous idea!!!

I'm not a full time farmer, just hope to be one day. live in Bangkok but have some cassava in Chayapoum

and would be great to swap ideas if there are any other growers coming.

Would love to come but just cannot commit right now if that is ok will let you know nearer the time.

Will donate a box of beer Chang if I make it (Leo is ok but Chang is wonderful :)

By the way how far are you from Bangkok kilos/hours driving? + advice on best route to take would be handy as

am very good at getting lost!

Steve

PS am a rugby nut and the world cup is on. Any true vision near you?

Great if you can make it Somo.

From BKK it is about 550 kms, with a few stops usually takes 6 to 7 hours. Take highway 1 and then 2 and finally turn east on highway 24. Highway 220 heads north from 24 to Sisaket.

I may have persuaded a couple of friends to join the gathering. Will give further details, when/if confirmed! :D

More the merrier in my book.

Practically speaking we need to cater etc.. so maybe the end of this week is time to check whose coming.

Any ideas on program anyone?

IA

Can anyone recommend a really good Electrician in Isaan who can wire a house to UK/Australian standards? I have bought UK electrical sockets that have earth rather than the Thai two pins. Now I need to find an expat electrician to wire a new build 4 room house. Thanks for any recommendations on who can do a proper job. I have had disasters in the past with electricians in Thailand.

Oops, sorry guys posted my electrician inquiry in wrong topic.

I am not a farmer but have 24 rai of land in Ubon and keep 30 geese, 50 turkeys, 20 ducks, 30 guinea fowl, 17 peacocks and 1 black swan. I hire a family to look after the land. I would be keen to join a farmers gathering. I'll be driving to Ubon from Bangkok on Saturday 17 September and would be keen to drop in for a couple of hours. Happy to contribute to the event. I am a professional corporate event organizer and think this is a great idea to arrange a farmers gathering.

..........................Basic program, open house Saturday morning and afternoon, walk around chat whatever. Anyone who wants specific details please let me know so I can spend time on it with you. Saturday evening BBQ, farm bacon and sausages, salads and hopefully honey pancakes and waffles. Havent got chickens at the moment so I need an egg supplier. If I get time then lime sorbet as well. I figure it will run about 100 baht a head. Of course this is Isaan so the wifes will probably prefer to eat something more local. We stock beer and spy cooler and happy to put on anything else you want, or just bring it with you, no corkage and village prices.

Alternative, there is a resort closer to Khukhan that does a good Thai menu at fair prices and has decent rooms. Up to you guys. Let me know which way you would prefer. It is no imposition here under the verandah, village has tables and chairs and women that want to cook for a few baht. I can use the local face..................................

Isaan Aussie.

IA - Count us in for a BBQ Saturday night. - WF