The Flies, The Flies.

richardjm65

Do you good old country boys have millions and millions of flies right now? In 14 years of living here in Isaan I can't remember them being as bad as this year. Glue sticks get covered in minutes, and still they come. Everything is covered with fly specks. Anyone got any theories about this seasonal plague or, better still, any solutions as to how to discourage them. Shouting at them does not seem to work, and the Thais have yet to come up with a fly swatter that survives more than four strikes.

I particularly dislike having them bathing themselves in my tea!

Not too many of the larger type around this part at the moment but a lot of the little, what I call, "eye flies" who seem to hover around 2cm from my eyes all day. Very annoying. As far as the tea is concerned it's not flies that get in my tea it's ants, real pain in the bum.

In my area the house flies do not seem to be any worse this year than others. There are however a proliferation of the tiny little black buggers that buzz around your face especially the eyes. They are called 'malang wee' in Thai.

When I first came here,there were no flies. Masses of Buffaloes ,NO cattle. Now Masses of cattle ,no buffaloes. That is the only thing that I can see that has changed. Somehow, the flies don't seem to breed in buffalo shit, but they seem to quite fancy cattle shit. I used to collect all the buffalo shit in my village,My daily target was 6 buckets full , used it as fertiliser on my garden. Never had a problem with flies. Now ,flies are everywhere. The worst ones are those that steal my beer and die of alcoholic poisoning, before I ingest one of the buggers.

Last week we had loads what looked like small flying ants, not very nice as for some reason they only bit me!!! Next year I'm bringing a fly killer over.

Chances are those are termites. One in another of seasonal plagues.

Some years are heavier than the next - as most of the insect world will run high and low cycles.

Nature in balance.

In my area the house flies do not seem to be any worse this year than others. There are however a proliferation of the tiny little black buggers that buzz around your face especially the eyes. They are called 'malang wee' in Thai.

What are those little black buggers. Does anyone have a good solution to either keep them away or kill the little blighters?

What are those little black buggers. Does anyone have a good solution to either keep them away or kill the little blighters?

Those gnat-like critters can be a nuisance as well...

One of the most sound ways to combat these microscopic pests might be to plant items that have natural repelling oils - this includes mosquitos.

Amazingingly enough....lemongrass, citronella, mint, cloves, witch hazel, and eucalyptus all have properties that naturally discourage these little nasties from hanging around. It's also been known to use a sort of "lotion" made up of equal parts of aloe vera gel, sweet almond oil, and citronella oil for a great repellent.....

Bowls of strong vinegar placed in stategic places can be useful.

Some of those microscopics will be fruit flies. They are generally attracted to the obvious.

• 2 months later...

One of the most sound ways to combat these microscopic pests might be to plant items that have natural repelling oils - this includes mosquitos.

Amazingingly enough....lemongrass, citronella, mint, cloves, witch hazel, and eucalyptus all have properties that naturally discourage these little nasties from hanging around. It's also been known to use a sort of "lotion" made up of equal parts of aloe vera gel, sweet almond oil, and citronella oil for a great repellent.....

Some of those microscopics will be fruit flies. They are generally attracted to the obvious.

I have tried everything I am plagued by them they find a little space between the wood and get in by the millions Yesterday I took down the doot of my pool room as it had got so bad in the frame when everything was removed it looked like honeycomb city. I have tried every thing including chainwright spray and powder still does not work I really am getting desperate even my farang eco man is a t a loss as to how to get rid of them any ideas please am now thinking of going and getting a tennis racket zapper.

I have tried everything I am plagued by them they find a little space between the wood and get in by the millions Yesterday I took down the doot of my pool room as it had got so bad in the frame when everything was removed it looked like honeycomb city. I have tried every thing including chainwright spray and powder still does not work I really am getting desperate even my farang eco man is a t a loss as to how to get rid of them any ideas please am now thinking of going and getting a tennis racket zapper.

Trouble with the tennis racquet type zapper the little bastards are that small that they often pass through the electric elements without setting off the charge.

Nothing in Mukdahan at all yet, where are you located.

Koh Samui Just went to Macro purchased kayari pyrethrum spray for Mosquitoes & Housefly and although it has a very nice smell was inafective at over 100 baht a can it is not cheap have even tried a pressure hose the bastards keep coming back trouble is they get in the smallest hole and before you know it they have honey type cones am really fed up with it as I am having to climb a ladder to get at them any ideas please ps My garden is full of lemon grass and even that does not seem to bother them

....tell one of your family members not to shower, so he/she will attract the flies......;

fatfather

The largest member of the family will be most effective :whistling:

Still trying to master this multi - quote feature:

Reference eating a sausage sandwich in a sheep paddock and subsequently frolicking in that same sheep paddock - if you see this again check to see if he is wearing wellington boots if so call immigration 100/1 he is a New Zealander in Oz on a sex tour. (if no wellies don't worry it's only some local boy letting off steam (sic).

With regard to not showering used to be a good ploy but the number of ex-pommies in Oz has resulted in those pesky flies becoming accustomed to this old trick - so the bushy determined not to be beaten has substituded that with a new toilet traing technique.

Don't wipe your AR#SE after crapping and the flies will still follow you but at a different level than your eyes/mouth. :ph34r:

Edit sorry off topic a little but the new toilet technique would work here as well! just covering my AR#SE. 555 :jap:

Edited by mijan24