Renewed My Drivers License Today

rucus7

I was in and out in less than two hours. The cost for both licenses was 1060 Baht, that included 100 for a "smart card" for each license. Just to clarify, my Birthday is next month. There seems to be a lot of differing opinions as to when you can renew. I went in to the transportation office last week to check. I was told by them that up to 3 months early is acceptable. In fact on looking on the back signature side of the license in Thai it states that 3 months early is acceptable. My five year old laminated license was issued in Bangkok, today I renewed in Rayong. I needed two (total 500 Baht)statements of residence from immigration, one for each license. As separate applications are needed for each license, I provided two copies of passport and visa pages and copies of my old laminated licenses(front and back) Easier than dealing with the DMV in California.

what did u have to give to immigration for the statement of residence (500 baht is A LOT cheaper than what the US embassy charges)

thx

I just went through the same thing last month for both my Licenses, however, I do not recall it being 500 baht for the certificate. More like 300 baht. Anyways here is what you need and the certificate is ready the next day, at least at Pattaya Immigration.

Fill out Form, “Application Form for Resident Certificate in Thailand”

Need Passport

Passport Copy

Retirement Stamp Copy

Departure Card Copy

2 – Visa Photos 2 x 4 cm

I renewed my "Private Car" 5 year driving licence last month, a week after my Birthday. Saraburi required:

Passport and copy of info and current visa pages.

Health certificate from local hospital/clinic.

Statement of residence with photo attached and stamped (In my case from Lopburi Immigration, 500 Baht each statement, issued immediately).

Old driving licence.

I then had to re-sit the colour eye tests.

re-sit the depth perception test.

re-sit the speed of reactions test.

and sit through a 45 minute video presentation of correct driving procedures, in Thai!!

Only after the video presentation were we photographed and our new plastic licence rolled off the printer immediately.

(Five years before, same place, I just rolled up with my old licence, passport and letter from British Embassy and received a Licence almost straight away).

The Licence issued is valid for the next 6 years, taking me up to my 72nd Birthday.

I took the opportunity to get two Statements of residence from immigration and used one to apply for and get my Yellow Tabien Baan (Housebook), so that I don't need to get the statement of residence again for future applications etc.

Looks like each department is using it's own interpretation of the rules (as usual?), so it may be worth checking what your local office requires in advance.

Regards Nibor.

I'm trying to find out, in the Phuket forum but with little success, what time one needs to be there by to renew a 5 years driver's permit?

Anyone?

Thanks

Don't know if this helps but in Saraburi I was told to be there before 9.30 am to be sure to get a place in the morning group, after that you were put in the afternoon sessions.

All Thais and Farangs had to go through the same procedures as in my earlier post.

Goodluck.

Nibor.

^ Thanks for that.

so it may be worth checking what your local office requires in advance.

And there lies the problem, can't call, web site is useless. I can't imagine how folks got anything done without internet forums to guide us.

what did u have to give to immigration for the statement of residence (500 baht is A LOT cheaper than what the US embassy charges)

thx

I provided my wife's blue house book. She also signed off on the application stipulating I reside at that address. No pictures, no health certificate. Only my passport. This is for Rayong. I am beginning to think different provinces may have different guidelines/ rules at the transportation office. However I would think immigration is standardized. The form/statement from immigration had four boxes that could be checked off by them, one was for opening a bank account, one for the purchase of a vehicle, one for a passenger car license, one for a motorcycle license. I received two, one motorcycle, one passenger car. For some reason they only check one box on each form. Makes for more paperwork for all concerned.

Also I only tested for color blindness at the transport office.

Don't renew early. Just wait for your license to expire, then you get almost 6 years instead of 5.

I considered this as an option. My concern was that Murphy's law would rear its ugly head while I was driving to Chumphon on an expired license. To each his own when tempting fate.