What Is Chaiyaphum Like?

BOOKEMDANO

G'day,

To date, I have lived in a number of places across Thailand; Koh tao in the south; Bangkok; and most recently up in Chiang Mai. All have there advantages and disadvantages and I have enjoyed them all.

Now, there is a small village located 30km outside of Chaiyaphum which houses the wife's family. She has a fair chunk on land in that village and recently I have been thinking of relocating there for her benefit, rather than mine. A new job next year will see work abroad 9 months of the year and being closer to her family during this time makes sense. However, having never spent more than a few nights there at a time, I worry that life in rustic Issan isn't for me. Even though it would only be for a few months per year, there will come a time when, say into my 60s, that the move to that small village might become more of a permanent one for me.

For those of you who have perhaps made the move from a large town/city to a small rural village, how do you find it now? What considerations should one contemplate before deciding to move to such an 'isolated' part of Thailand? Of course, being at the age I am now, I wouldn't want to leave Chiang Mai, its a great city with lots going on and good services. But, as I said, I will be working abroad for many years and by the time I am ready to settle, dotage would of caught up with me and I would be happy for the peace and quiet.

Chaiyaphum. Lovely area. Still principally countryside and farming areas. Renowned for it's great wild flower reserves.

Beautiful Ladies....

Not many Farang - that can only be a good thing.

Could be a lot more after that recommendation.

Should have said it was crap !

I can only say for the area we're in - about 40k from Chaiyaphum.

It's nice. It's quiet.

Personally, I look forward to whatever time I can get there.

Chaiyaphum city (ok, big town) is pretty good & gaining more of the tesco/macro type outlets over the past few years.

Full run of main banks, not too bad to get around in, 2 bus terminals. Buses to BKK evey hour or so.

If you're hard up & need something bordering inedible, there's a KFC - otherwise there's plenty of real food outlets.

It can get hot - but so does pretty much anywhere in TH. I've not noticed it as humid here as I have in CM.

Wet season can turn roads into rivers in minutes.

5 weeks to go. :D

Edited by pgs

I look at your question from a more general point of view: can I live in rural Isaan?

There should be many topics in this forum about pros/cons.

Cha. is as good as most other provincial capitals.

Do not make a final decision before having done a "test drive" of at least 3 months!

30km from Cha.? Not bad to have a provincial capital relatively close by.

But what is the local infrasructure? At least a 7/11 close by? An ATM?

Or do have to travel 60km for about everything?

How about internet access (landline up and running)?

What transport will be available?

Will you have a car on your own, drive on your own?

We've got a house about the same distance outside of Chaiyaphum city proper.

We don't live there - our primary residence is in the US. We get there when we can, however, and I personally love it.

I have read that Chaiyaphum is the "least visited" province in Thailand. Somebody else mentioned that there aren't a lot of farang there. In my experience this is true. In 23 years of spending time there, I don't think I've ever seen a farang outside of the downtown area, and even that is relatively rare.

... continued ...

We've got a house about the same distance outside of Chaiyaphum city proper.

We don't live there - our primary residence is in the US. We get there when we can, however, and I personally love it.

I have read that Chaiyaphum is the "least visited" province in Thailand. Somebody else mentioned that there aren't a lot of farang there. In my experience this is true. In 23 years of spending time there, I don't think I've ever seen a farang outside of the downtown area, and even that is relatively rare.

... continued ...

I'd agree with that. I may have seen 2 in the past 9 years. One in Chaiyaphum City/Big Town (Canadian) about 7 years back, & 1 in the next village about 6 years back.

I know there are more around - some I am sure are too embarrassed to venture past the gates as we know the TW is fleecing them....