Hey Yingluck! You'Re A Woman...

engrin

I have no issue with the term "lady" and think that arguments about terminology sidetrack the real issues which are ones that I personally feel Yingluck will not address. Having a woman in power does not necessarily equate to better conditions for women and I do not believe that Yingluck's main goals have anything to do with empowering women whatsoever.

Edited by LadyHeather

I'm amazed you don't find the term 'woman' shockingly offensive as it contains the term 'man'.

I don't think you will find too many females (oops contains the word 'males') that would harbour your concerns regarding the term 'lady'. Perhaps those that do not like to be complimented would agree.

I certainly never take offence at being referred to as 'gentleman' even though it could be taken as a man that is gentle and therefore offensive. I take it as a compliment and I would think nearly all men would.

But then again, I doubt any men really care enough to have even thought of such things. It's just a non event and hardly worth the thought process to worry oneself over such trifling matters.

Wait I'm talking about Ms. Miss Mrs Or wait no I'm not Sorry Thi s thread is about Ying Luck.. I mention ladies as It seemed it was for general forum. To move it into the ladies room marginalizes it, But marginalizing women's issues is SOP..

Mmmmm Wallaby, they are some militant types using womyn. I think language does guide attitude For all we know Man was taken from Woman

I

I'm amazed you don't find the term 'woman' shockingly offensive as it contains the term 'man'.

I don't think you will find too many females (oops contains the word 'males') that would harbour your concerns regarding the term 'lady'. Perhaps those that do not like to be complimented would agree.

I certainly never take offence at being referred to as 'gentleman' even though it could be taken as a man that is gentle and therefore offensive. I take it as a compliment and I would think nearly all men would.

But then again, I doubt any men really care enough to have even thought of such things. It's just a non event and hardly worth the thought process to worry oneself over such trifling matters.

^

It was in general topics and is a worthy discussion. I think it's important to have these kind of dialogs in a general forum It helps to air what are shockingly sexist views that often go quite under the radar.

If they are sexist , and feel sexist, then let's all know about it. I think it is actually been a very civil conversation and I'm sorry it has moved to the " Ladies" room ( Toileted? ) where no doubt it will now have little interest , successfully quelled?

I really am just a person, who is female so I can't identify with " Lady " as it seems to force a certain adherence to standards I find to be applied to women only. ( Like not discuss sexism.)

" Ladies" concerns are..hair dressers and maids? Art, Culture?

I respond to the last question by Mike

I think too many men in Thailand get away with NOT paying child support . Yes rules are there , but no enforced.

I think women in Thailand are chattel as evidenced by Sin Sot, the rampant wholesaling of daughters in to the sex industry and rules like not giving female heads of household official status like say after the Andaman Tsunami .

Having Ms. as a title choice is a beginning.

Now, are these " Feminist" issues? Well what's a feminist? Women are people and have different views so to say all women who think the child support rules are too lax, are they feminists? Abortion rights?

So I would say on general Feminists are about equality in opportunity and law.

I see enforcing the rules is really a police issue and not a women's issue.

Then again the police have many issues that need to be resolved.

Currently only men who are married to the mother of the child is considered the father.

Men who are not married to the woman have no legal rights as a father, should they be required to pay child support?

"and rules like not giving female heads of household official status like say after the Andaman Tsunami ."

I do wish women could be given official status as head of the household.

It would be a good benefit for all the foreign men who are married to Thai women.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep Relegating this topic to the " Ladies " forum certainly shut it down.

B Post last Sunday had a great article about Asian women increasingly saying no to marriage , ( way, way too much housework !! )

I gather I cannot post a link to the better ( IMO ) of Thailand's English language newspapers?

The gist was Asia's famous anchor , The Family was about to have a major link break loose.

Women, increasingly, are saying no to marriage and the extra housework it entails.

The more educated she is, the less likely to be married.

Yes, well it seems to be a choice some make about postnig. The BP does not allow links or quotes but you can certainly discuss the issues raised in the article

I would think that the women they are talking about are educated city women tho, out in the country get married and have a baby still rules number one I think

Yes, well it seems to be a choice some make about postnig. The BP does not allow links or quotes but you can certainly discuss the issues raised in the article

I would think that the women they are talking about are educated city women tho, out in the country get married and have a baby still rules number one I think

Absolutely, But the gist is , where they have a choice, more are choosing not to.

And it really boils down to housework and married women who are working, and not just asian women, but middle class women across the globe, who cannot afford help are also raising the kids and doing the majority of housework meals, shopping etc That is another full time job, or two

Why do people think that Yingluck is different from any other or previous politician in Thailand?

Perhaps because she is "new" and "fresh" in Thai politics? Well, think again. She is neither new nor fresh. A early as February 2009 Yingluck and Noppadon (Thaksin's lawyer in Thailand) went to pay a visit to the US ambassador in Bangkok. Noppadon told the US ambassador at that time that he is meeting Thailnd's next PM. February 2009!

It may appear as a surprise move or even as a lucky punch the have such a lovely woman in charge. But that's all a facade. She is just like all the others. Even worse, she is a Shinawatra.

If she can use the female population for her own agenda, she may give them something. But remember: There is no such thing as a free lunch, certainly not in politics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I agree with you.

However fathers paying and doing their fair share of the child rearing and house keeping is really an issue about fairness. To label such as " Feminist" just seeks to politicize it. Or are all women's issues essentially political as 52% of the population behaves as a minority?

(Much as my thread on Ms. vs. Mrs/Miss title choice was shut for that reason. Can I reopen it here?)

Edited by TigerWan