Cheese In Pattaya

Michaelaway

I like cheese. But, I'm on a budget. So, unfortunately I end up passing on most of the cheeses I see around town. Living in Jomtien, I have found (as many others have said) Foodmart to be substantially higher than Friendship and the rest of the supermarkets. So, I am very selective about what items I buy there. But... Foodmart has Emmental Swiss cheese @ about 550 baht/kilo and Gouda @ about 585 baht/kilo; both are very tasty.

So, my question is: where, in Pattaya, to go to find (maybe a few, tasty) cheeses prices under 1,000 baht per kilo? Kob khun mak, krap.

B)

post-72929-0-17285900-1313036340_thumb.j

Gouda is about 490/kg in Foodland IIRC.

Actually I don't agree that all cheese is expensive here. Some of the imported ones are, but then again, good cheese is expensive in Europe too.

care four belguim gouda 9.20€ about 371.15bht

seems ok to me

Thanks for all the suggestions (expensive/expansive, notwithstanding).

The cheeses at www.Thailandcheese.com are ok, and available at Friendship and other places; a good suggestion because they're inexpensive and fresh. I buy the Cheddar and Monterey Jack sometimes. KPK's price of 385(-450) baht/kilo for Cheddar is great... but a 2-kilo block is too much for me. Big C Extra, with Belgium Gouda @ 371.15 baht/kilo sounds interesting, and hey! Thailand has nothing to do with Mexico, but if they can make decent Mexican salsa in Thailand then surely it's possible for the Belgians to make good Gouda next door to the country that originated it, no? Worth a try anyway. Foodland, with Gouda at 490 baht/kilo is also a trip I will make (maybe they'll have other well-priced cheeses, too?). Central/Pattaya Beach gourmet section- cheeses under 1,000 baht/kilo? Ching Ching, krap...? Any more?

B)

post-72929-0-69555200-1313065642_thumb.j

How the hell can there be Belgium Gouda ? Gouda is Dutch.

No it's not. Gouda is made all over the world. In fact, the best gouda is made far from the Netherlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouda_%28cheese%29

Just think you guys before you answer, if a champagne does not come from a certain spot in France it cant be called that. There were lawsuits about that and the EU stepped in.

Why the hell can Belgium produce a cheese called Gouda then. Doesn't sound right to me.

Its about a protected trademark. I could not care less that cheese is produced. Im talking about the trademark.

Just read the part about gouda Holland being protected but Gouda itself not... strange. real strange shows again that us Dutch dont fight hard enough for these kind of things.

Edited by robblok

• 2 weeks later...

CHEAP CHEESE UPDATE:

Went over to Foodland today and, wow... you were right! Foodland is THE PLACE for reasonably-priced cheeses in Pattaya. Today, I bought Mozzarella & Cheddar, priced at 345 & 395 baht/ kilo, respectively. I'll try the Gouda and others eventually. Ok, I'm not expecting a world-class taste experience, but at prices like these, it's worth a try... Thanks again for the suggestions (this year, the word from Punxsutawney is: 6 more weeks of cheese... wow).

B)

How the hell can there be Belgium Gouda ? Gouda is Dutch.

No it's not. Gouda is made all over the world. In fact, the best gouda is made far from the Netherlands.

http://en.wikipedia....da_%28cheese%29

Just think you guys before you answer, if a champagne does not come from a certain spot in France it cant be called that. There were lawsuits about that and the EU stepped in.

Why the hell can Belgium produce a cheese called Gouda then. Doesn't sound right to me.

Its about a protected trademark. I could not care less that cheese is produced. Im talking about the trademark.

Just read the part about gouda Holland being protected but Gouda itself not... strange. real strange shows again that us Dutch dont fight hard enough for these kind of things.

In that case why do so many countries produce Cheddar cheese?

Do they name a gorge in each of those countries so they can comply with the EU??

Quote from Phil (I think you'll find they are from Denmark, not Norway.)

Hi Phil,

I thought that too but the last time I bought Brie & Camembert (from Foodland) the packet had 'Made in Austrlia' on it :o

I know that the name stilton is protected but it seems that most cheeses are not.

Regards,

Tiger.

We have very good cheese in Norway , I am still hoping one day to see the world famous Jarlsberg cheese in Thailand.....

Gouda is not even close to taste like the "real cheese".

Edited by balo

• 2 months later...

for fresh type cheese and for yogurt you can contact "HomeMade-Cheese Co." and they deliver cheese and sell through shops all made fresh in Bangkok in premium quality.

They dont make yellow cheese i think but you can gget your

cottage cheese,

quark cheese,

Ricotta cheese,

sour cream,

even Labaneh and more from there.

go to their webtie for contacts:

they do make great cheese and it is made in Thailand so prices are pretty good.

Edited by Rimmer
Commercial URL