Thaksin Tells Pheu Thai Ministers To Resign Party-List Mps

webfact

This should be a very entertaining Thai shadow-puppet show with an ever changing story line we watch with this government. Sure hope the story has a happy ending for the Thai people.

Yes they will all be rich in 6 months ;)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cabinet ministers do not have to be members of the house of representatives. Any party list cabinet member who resigns their seat will be replaced in the house by the next number on the list. This "instruction" serves two purposes: It effectively gives the PTP a bigger majority in the house, by allowing it to allocate all its party list seats to house representatives, rather than a mix of cabinet + house; and it gives more of its lackies a place at the trough. A simple analogy is if you have won 200 seats, but must form a cabinet of 40 members then you effectively have 160 seats in the house. By moving the cabinet out of the house you are then able to have the full 200, as well as keeping the other 40.

A sensible move whichever party it may be.

If the option to increase/consolidate their majority is available then why not exercise it,irrespective of who suggested it?

Cabinet ministers do not have to be members of the house of representatives. Any party list cabinet member who resigns their seat will be replaced in the house by the next number on the list. This "instruction" serves two purposes: It effectively gives the PTP a bigger majority in the house, by allowing it to allocate all its party list seats to house representatives, rather than a mix of cabinet + house; and it gives more of its lackies a place at the trough. A simple analogy is if you have won 200 seats, but must form a cabinet of 40 members then you effectively have 160 seats in the house. By moving the cabinet out of the house you are then able to have the full 200, as well as keeping the other 40.

If the option to increase/consolidate their majority is available then why not exercise it,irrespective of who suggested it?

If members of the cabinet (ministers and maybe deputies) are normally not voting in the house, this move makes sense. No idea how many MPs the difference would be, but unlike suggested by k. Surawit Pheu Thai would not get extra party-list MPs.

I don't know the Election Laws details, but wonder how 'automatic' a party can fill a vacated party-list seat. Does it depend on why the seat is vacated?

(edit: add: even a single day as endorsed MP gives lifelong financial advantages ?)

Edited by rubl

I don't think they can play with the number of seats they have. All they can do is replace the party list MPs that resign, the total number they have remains the same. Those that resign can be ministers but they are not part of the legislature and can't vote.

It's not unheard of to have the odd external cabinet member or minister, but not too many otherwise the *elected* rank and file MPs might start getting ideas.

Am I right in thinking that Cabinet Ministers, since they are no longer Members of Parliament, cannot appear before the House to answer questions about their stewardship? That they cannot attend personally to accept any plaudits or flak that might be due to them? Does anybody else think that they must be a pretty gutless collection?

I think you mean, "irrespective of who instructed it".

PM's Office Minister Surawit Khonsomboon confirmed the reports that Thaksin "instructed" the ministers to vacate their party-list seats.

If members of the cabinet (ministers and maybe deputies) are normally not voting in the house, this move makes sense. No idea how many MPs the difference would be, but unlike suggested by k. Surawit Pheu Thai would not get extra party-list MPs.

I don't know the Election Laws details, but wonder how 'automatic' a party can fill a vacated party-list seat. Does it depend on why the seat is vacated?

1. I'm surprised no one else commented on the change in number from 61 to 70. Surely this is wrong.

2. I agree it's not clear that another one from the list will be automatically added if one resigns. At the very least the Election Commision would (or should) have to endorse the replacement. In this regard one party-list member (PT I think)was disquualified by the EC due to bankruptcy and the next one in line endorsed by the EC.

3. In regard to voting by MP's who are cabinet ministers I think the voting prohibition only applies to bills which involve expenditure by the ministry they supervise, on assumption this is a conflict of interest.

Resign your seat to get a cabinet job - then guess what happens if you don't follow the party line, or jump high enough when told to? Fired from the cabinet and, surprise surprise, no seat, no job.

Thaksin democracy has no room for dissent!

Am I right in thinking that Cabinet Ministers, since they are no longer Members of Parliament, cannot appear before the House to answer questions about their stewardship? That they cannot attend personally to accept any plaudits or flak that might be due to them? Does anybody else think that they must be a pretty gutless collection?

The government can still be censured by parliament even if no cabinet member (other than the PM who must be an MP) is an MP.

I'm not sure how this fits in with the concept of 'democracy'.

It fits in quite nicely with one persons definition of it.

Nice analysis. So much for the paymasters claim that he is the champion of equal justice and respect for the processes of democracy.

I'm not sure how this fits in with the concept of 'democracy'.

In Thailand????

It only seems like yesterday that a certain ex deputy prime minister stepped down as an MP but retained his cabinet post.

I don't have a problem with that, because it is accepted practice in Thailand (I think). The dodgy bit is advertising a list of candidates, then one guy throws them out after "The People" have voted. That's an appalling manipulation of the electoral system.

Even if those chucked out retain their ministerial posts, they are no longer MPs and can't vote. That stinks like hell. The only possible consolation is if they are 'making more room' for those they have already screwed over - ie. the reds.

And makes a mockery of being the champion of the poor / just shows very clearly that he sees the poor as his pawns to manipulate big time for him to gain power then discard them.

And where is yingluck's comment?

Edited by scorecard
Repaired the reply, when replying to a quoted post, do not post within the [quote] tags.

Resign your seat to get a cabinet job - then guess what happens if you don't follow the party line, or jump high enough when told to? Fired from the cabinet and, surprise surprise, no seat, no job.

Thats why it surprises me a little that all of them should play ball. The no-more-MPs would be placed on an ejectory seat with buton in Dubai. Some of them must have an Ego left?

Edited by longtom

Can anyone explain this bit:

"The Pheu Thai now has 61 party-list MPs. Surawit said after the Pheu Thai ministers resign as party-list MPs, the Pheuu Thai may have up to 70 party-list MPs"

Also if an elected candidate resigns, do they not have to have a by-election in that constituency?

Confused :blink:

Me too

Party-list MPs aren't elected through in the election, they are from the...party list.

What they are actually trying to do is minimize the risk for challenging votes, as ministers cannot vote in a declaration of no confidence motion..

Yep Let the Show continue..

God I'm glad I don't own any Assets I am not willing to walk away from in this Banana republic.

How can Thais Sit Idly by and let this Ruse continue..

This So called Democratically elected government is a Joke and a SLAP in the face of Thais.

That Criminal must be laughing his head off at how much he can get away with because of Thais inherent Greed and short sitedness.

Dangle a few Quick Bhat in the face of the Poor and you can do as you like..

This also makes sure that all ministers will be more careful at following Thaksin's orders, no-one can start to go Samak or they might lose all direct influence if re-placed in a shuffle as they are no longer MPs too...

Thats why it surprises me a little that all of them should play ball. The no-more-MPs would be placed on an ejectory seat with buton in Dubai. Some of them must have an Ego left?

apparently, by one report i read, not all of them did play ball and some refused to join the cabinet

He gave plenty of evidence for that when he outright banned PTP MP's earlier.

Thaksin Banned Two Pheu Thai MPs

He rules with an iron fist. Always has.

It also gives more control over the cabinet ministers, who if/when dumped from the cabinet will no longer be an MP.

SO if they resign, where would they go? They have their seats because of national representation, if they don't take their seats, what does this create? Another general election?

If they choose not to be in the parliament, I don't see how their seats can simply be passed to another person or party?

This is like studying the most confusing electoral system in the world, if you can call it an electoral system. It seems more like appointing school prefects.

If only the Iron Fist would come down on the foreign guests of Thailand that persist in their petty attacks on the duly elected government that has not even had an opportunity to govern.:angry:

The fact that you keep looking at these guys as though they walk on water, says all we need to know about you.

If only the Iron Fist would come down on the foreign guests of Thailand that persist in their petty attacks on the duly elected government that has not even had an opportunity to govern.:angry:

The fact that you keep looking at these guys as though they walk on water, says all we need to know about you.

I really don't know about "walk on water" -- But I look at 'these guys" as the political party that has won every election this century.

The result of the most recent election has at least removed the unelected usurpers from office.

The fact that you somehow think your "wisdom" outweighs the wishes of the Thai electorate, says all we need to know about you.

I really don't know about "walk on water" -- But I look at 'these guys" as the political party that has won every election this century.

The result of the most recent election has at least removed the unelected usurpers from office.

The fact that you somehow think your "wisdom" outweighs the wishes of the Thai electorate, says all we need to know about you.

Please be a bit more honest, 'won every election' sounds ice but the reality is that they bought/ massively manipulated every election.

Advocating violence again? At least you weren't advocating 'live fire' this time. What a charming household you must inhabit.

So geriatric kid, i guess this means:

1. You don't believe in freedom of speech

2. People with dissenting views to the paymaster / red cause should be hunted out and punished.

So you still don't understand how coalition governments work?

Noticeable is it not that the pro Thaksin posters movement membership are somewhat conspicuous by their absence in this particular topic.

Screamed and shouted, ranted and raved when it was mooted Yingluck was but a puppet, now here is the truth out in the open for all to see, Thailand is the only country in the world to have an absentee Prime Minister.

What an accolade. . "Thailnd The Hub of Puppetry."

So what you are saying is that nowhere in the world is the PM , President,or political parties infulanced by outside sorces . That is not a very well informed statement is it .

Lets remember baby Bush was a puppet of daddy bush .

Sad but true - and defiant of all attempts at education :rolleyes:

As strange comments go this is is an absolute winner!! Why on earth would anyone bother with such a weird response. As it turns out I do have a pretty fair understanding of coalition governments....... but .......

So do the Thai people -- I believe that apart from the current political party (on 2 occasions) that only one other Thai Government was ever formed in Thailand without need of a coalition.

'These guys" are the political party that has won every election this century.

What part of winning elections do you have difficulty comprehending?