Visa Run To Laos

Hi,

just did a visa run to Vientiane, as I'd heard it was easy to get double entry visas there.

Previously I'd been issued an O from Hull in UK, which just expired on Monday. At the consulate in Vientiane, I applied for a double entry visa, which should give me 180 days (including the 2 x extensions), BUT they only issued a single entry visa (cost 1000 baht). I asked them why and they looked through my passport for 5 minutes and asked me why do I want to stay so long. After trying to convince the guy that I'd quit my UK job and am here on holidays spending lots of lovely money in Thailand, I gave up and just accepted the single entry.

I also had 4 or 5 holiday (1 or 2 weeks at a time) stamps in my passport since 2009 when I got a new passport.

I'm quite surprised, as I've only had 1 visa (the O) and so I really don't see why they couldn't issue a double entry. I read that it's perhaps easier if you use an agency or tout.

Anyway, next time I'll go to Penang or think about an education visa instead.

Thanks!

you can't go wrong with a education visa. When you add up travel costs of getting tourist visa's it not a lot different.

I just went to Ventiane and got a double. Another guy I was talking to had 4 back to back doubles and they gave him another. A friend of his had 3 TV's and a Non O and he only got a single. Seems kind of random but most people seemed to have gotten doubles when I was there on August 3rd.

Perhaps they tend to give previous O holders only single entries. Oh well, I think an education visa might be the best option next time, or worst case the time after that, as I would quite like to pop across to Penang by train.

I guess it depends on the person on the desk at the time, and what mood they're in.

I might give Vientiane another go nearer the time but I'll have to check reports of people with stamps + O + 1xTV if there are any.

I flew to Udon which was great, but took a bus back to Bangkok, which took 12 hours and there were massive traffic jams....so next time it's fly only I think! plus the bus was FREEZING!! :-)

Ta

The impression i get lately is that you have a far better chance of getting a double entry visa if you do go with an agent. From previous experience, I know one majour visa run operator in BK who will often want to examine your passport a few days in advance, in order to give the green light on your situation.

Although they still offer no absolute gaurantee, doing it that way does afford one a little bit more confidence. It seems the good old days are over as far as lone travellers applying for successive DE's at Vientane.

But just why is that?

Why a traveller with a couple of previous short stay stamps gets knocked back, whereas a guy with 6 or 7 double entries on a history of long stays over 8-9 years has no problem whatsoever??...if going with an agent.

You would have to assume that the embassy staff are (for some unknown reason :whistling: ) a little softer on the visa run operators.

you can't go wrong with a education visa. When you add up travel costs of getting tourist visa's it not a lot different.

I just went to Ventiane and got a double. Another guy I was talking to had 4 back to back doubles and they gave him another. A friend of his had 3 TV's and a Non O and he only got a single. Seems kind of random but most people seemed to have gotten doubles when I was there on August 3rd.

Hi CSN, You make a good point in factoring in the travel costs..dont want to hijack the thread, but maybe the OP might benefit from these other questions.

If you obtain the ED visa and study for 12 months, will you still have to do the border runs every 3 months during that time?

You would either have to extend every 90 days if just language school type ED stay, at 1,900 baht each time or exit country every 90 days if able to obtain multi entry visa (not always easy to do).

Thanks for clearing that up Lopburi3, i see a lot of misinformation on that issue, and conflicting claims from language school operators when asking that same question....they dont seem to like to answer it.

So, for one to use a double entry visa to its maximum time stay, one still has to pay the 1900baht extension fee after both of the 2 month entries anyway..meaning that the 1900 baht cost every three months is the same regardless.

Factoring the time, cost, hassle, AND the risk of actually being able to get a Double entry at Vientane, the OP does sound spot on with his theory...and you get some education on the Thai language for about the same price. Sounds like a good deal.

Perhaps they tend to give previous O holders only single entries. Oh well, I think an education visa might be the best option next time, or worst case the time after that, as I would quite like to pop across to Penang by train.

I guess it depends on the person on the desk at the time, and what mood they're in.

I might give Vientiane another go nearer the time but I'll have to check reports of people with stamps + O + 1xTV if there are any.

I flew to Udon which was great, but took a bus back to Bangkok, which took 12 hours and there were massive traffic jams....so next time it's fly only I think! plus the bus was FREEZING!! :-)

Ta

Just a note, many reports on here + other sites + from Agents in Penang.. They almost never issue a TR Visa in Penang if you have had a 30 day extension on your last one.

Re- FREEZING! long distance Bus or air con sleeper trains, always take long socks and a blanket.