Bkk To Nong Khai By Sleeper Train

tort

I have a ticket from Bangkok to Nong Khai on the sleeper which departs Hualamphong at 20.00 but it gives me more time if I board the train at Don Muang at 20.50.

Are there any potential problems with this?

Should not be. I always like to board at H.L. but you should have no problems getting on at Don Muang .The only thing that will help , is if you know your car number ,and where it is likely to be , when it stops at D.M. , so that you do not have to spend half an hour looking For your 'Bed". Low numbers ,generally at the front of the train, then they work backwards. To the rear of the train.Always had a lovely time , on the train, ,Often quaffing a few ales in the restaurant car I sleep very well on trains.Have travelled on every sleeper line in Thailand, and many others around the world. Be a brain ,travel by train. Be a pain travel by plane.( overland)

I first traveled on that train in Sept. 1965, on my way up to my Peace Corps 2-year assignment right there on the Mekong, in Tha Bor district. Loved it then, and love it now, and in a world of change, it's nice to have some constancy somewhere. Little has changed in the feeling of that ride. I like the second-class sleeper because it's a bit of a party atmosphere, drink beer and meet the neighbors. Ask for a lower berth, they're cooler and have more space.

First class sleeper "is the way to go," as another poster put it, if you're traveling with a spouse, lover, or good friend, and you don't want hustle and bustle around you. 2 bunks, lower bunk can open the curtains and look at the stars. Going as a family, or a party, you can get 2 adjoining compartments, there's a door that can be opened between compartments.

Train's the way to go anywhere in Thailand that it goes. Just IMHO, of course.

Edited by montrii

I first traveled on that train in Sept. 1965, on my way up to my Peace Corps 2-year assignment right there on the Mekong, in Tha Bor district. Loved it then, and love it now, and in a world of change, it's nice to have some constancy somewhere. Little has changed in the feeling of that ride. I like the second-class sleeper because it's a bit of a party atmosphere, drink beer and meet the neighbors. Ask for a lower berth, they're cooler and have more space.

First class sleeper "is the way to go," as another poster put it, if you're traveling with a spouse, lover, or good friend, and you don't want hustle and bustle around you. 2 bunks, lower bunk can open the curtains and look at the stars. Going as a family, or a party, you can get 2 adjoining compartments, there's a door that can be opened between compartments.

Actually things have changed, and only very recently. I used to love the 2nd class fan carriages which were conveniently located nearest to the restaurant car (and on some trips the 'disco' car).

On my last two trips this year all the 2nd class fan carriages have been replaced by air-con carriages. I also noticed that the Chiang Mai night train has nice new carriages, so maybe the old ones have been put into service on the Nong Khai line?

Actually things have changed, and only very recently. I used to love the 2nd class fan carriages which were conveniently located nearest to the restaurant car (and on some trips the 'disco' car).

On my last two trips this year all the 2nd class fan carriages have been replaced by air-con carriages. I also noticed that the Chiang Mai night train has nice new carriages, so maybe the old ones have been put into service on the Nong Khai line?

555555.generally ,the oldest sleepers cars get put on the Yala and Ubon Ratchathani lines, N.K.has a lot of farang, as does C.M. ,so they get better quality cars.Sadly, I do not like air at night. Sorry to hear ,no fan cars. Going to C.M..Is that ALL sleeper trains?To C.M.?

Edited by afarang

555555.generally ,the oldest sleepers cars get put on the Yala and Ubon Ratchathani lines, N.K.has a lot of farang, as does C.M. ,so they get better quality cars.Sadly, I do not like air at night. Sorry to hear ,no fan cars. Going to C.M..Is that ALL sleeper trains?To C.M.?

Done it many times. Lower is best in 2nd, otherwise you have the ceiling light in your eyes all night. Last trip, the beds were nasty, full or roaches. Great 'adventure' stuff, but, really, once is enough. Airfares to Udon are very cheap now, mini-van to Nong Khai is 150. If you like 'rustic', take the train. If you want to get there comfortably, FLY.

I board at Bang Sue at the northern end of Bangkok, & have never had a problem. The train stops, & I get on.

The sleeper facilities are basic but good enough. I always enjoy the trip.

I was told the a/c was too cold, but haven't found this.

The ladyboy catering crew are fun.

But the food is beyond bad (& expensive): if I had one piece of advice it would be to pack yourself any meals you might be wanting.

I used to board at Bang Sue sometimes when the evening traffic was just too much to get from Sukumvit to Hua Lamphong. Once I was chastised by the ticket bunching guy for doing so. His comment was that since he'd not seen me earlier on, he was allowed to resell the bunk space.

Also happened to me once when I had a ticket returning from Nong Khai, but ran into a friend so we headed to Udorn for dinner, boarded there, same comment from the ticket puncher.

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

Take something warm as the aircon is freezing and also some food- as another poster advised-its expensive on board

Yes, I found the a/c colder this recent trip too. (No problem before.)

The big thing I forgot is the change racket by the catering staff. You are always short-changed, & big denominations or money other than baht will make it worse.

Keep careful track of menu prices & what you consume. better still, bring your own food, beer, etc.

I took the train last year in december from Bangkok Hualampong station to Nong Khai, 2nd class sleepers. The train was clean and confortable. There were fans and not a/c but at night it wasn't hot at all. The restaurant service was very expensive so I didn't use it. It was perfectly punctual.