Honda City 2010 Vibration In Steering Wheel While Braking At Higher Speeds

frtiz

Hi everyone,

My City 2010 53K kms is showing some vibrations in the steering wheel while braking at speeds higher than 110 Kph. There is no pulsation or vibration in the brake pedal though and it sometimes it's a bit noisy while braking. rattling sound but not very loud.

I've searched the internet and most people say it's most likely the pads or the rotors. But is this possible after only 1 year? I bought it last year in June.

I usually drive highway kms 350-400 kms per trip and don't stop very often as I have a bad back and can't get out of the car easily.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Honda/other brands?

Thanks,

Fritz

Edited by frtiz

Does this mean the rotors should be replaced or can they be resurfaced?

I remember from my 600cc Yamaha bike that the mechanic at the Y. dealer just resurfaced the rotors and realligned the bolts of the brake pad holders and replaced the brake pads.

Yes, sounds like the brake rotors are warped. Easy to fix though. :)

Does this mean the rotors should be replaced or can they be resurfaced?

I remember from my 600cc Yamaha bike that the mechanic at the Y. dealer just resurfaced the rotors and realligned the bolts of the brake pad holders and replaced the brake pads.

Yes, they can be resurfaced. There is a minimum thickness stamped on the rotor, if you have to remove more material than this, you have to replace them.

+1, its not the age of the car that determines the brake wear its how you drive it and how many km's you've done. My girlfriends mum goes through a set of rotors about every 20,000km because she is so hard on the brakes.

+1, its not the age of the car that determines the brake wear its how you drive it and how many km's you've done. My girlfriends mum goes through a set of rotors about every 20,000km because she is so hard on the brakes.

JEEZESSSSS.. After that you should really put up a description of the car as a public service announcement :D

I would not like to be behind her when she's slamming on the brakes :D

JEEZESSSSS.. After that you should really put up a description of the car as a public service announcement :D

Its scary being in the car with her, about a year ago I went with my girlfriends family to a birthday party coming home about to go down my girlfriend's families driveway she's driving way too fast and slams on the brakes comes within about 9 inches of T-boning my car which was parked outside their house.

It doesnt matter what car she drives the brake pads are lucky to last 7,000km and the rotors like I said about 20-25k tops. She usually drives a 2000 Holden Commodore which is fine, i've driven a couple of times myself when my cars been getting serviced its just the way she drives. She even ruined the rotors on my girlfriends dads car which was fine for 50,000km and then suddenly about 15,000km after the mechanic said they would be fine for another 50,000km she drove it for about a month and they were ruined too.

Nissin rotors for cars have had some issues since 2006, on all my cars Honda and Toyota. Can resurface once, then you need new. If vibration is only problem, no warranty. If blue rotors and glazed pads, at least honda Hua Hin did warranty claim to Honda at approx 30k km/6 months, and was approved. 9 k baht for front only

Well that's the thing, my driving is generally considered to be gentle. When back at University in Europe I had a part time job as a private chauffeur, drove all sorts of people, CEO's etc and never received a single complaint. Most of the trips ended with generous tips and that wasn't because they were happy we got back home in one piece. ;-)

I have done over 200K kms in Thailand now over the last couple of years and I have never had this problem before. In Europe idem, never a problem.

Our other car, a soluna, has done over 200K and only have had some normal repairs with the brakes, and as far as I know the original rotors are still on there, only changed the pads.

I'll take the car to shop to have it checked.

Honda service in Thailand is terrible. You have to wait ages before you can enter a 'queue' and then still you have to wait 3 hrs before they even look at your car.

Its scary being in the car with her, about a year ago I went with my girlfriends family to a birthday party coming home about to go down my girlfriend's families driveway she's driving way too fast and slams on the brakes comes within about 9 inches of T-boning my car which was parked outside their house.

It doesnt matter what car she drives the brake pads are lucky to last 7,000km and the rotors like I said about 20-25k tops. She usually drives a 2000 Holden Commodore which is fine, i've driven a couple of times myself when my cars been getting serviced its just the way she drives. She even ruined the rotors on my girlfriends dads car which was fine for 50,000km and then suddenly about 15,000km after the mechanic said they would be fine for another 50,000km she drove it for about a month and they were ruined too.

Honda Chainat horrendous avoid if possible

Honda Pattaya even worse

Honda Pitsanulok OK

Honda Nakhon Sawan, avoid if possible.

Honda Phuket service is terrible

Honda Hua Hin is great :)

cant comment on other Honda garages

Yep.... I gave advice to another member a couple of years ago who had a brand new Honda only weeks old as he had not bedded (heat cycled) the rotors yet and then drove it too hard and stopped the car without cooling the rotors and he warped them, brought the car back to the dealer and told them to replace the rotors and problem solved..

If you drive the car hard as in hill driving for example don't hold the brakes firmly for any length of time if you have to stop at a light or something immediately afterwards like coming off the tollway if you've had to do heavy braking and then down an incline at a light for example. Leave yourself a bit of room to the car in front and while your waiting, every few minutes roll just a few inches to rotate the hot brake pads away from a single point on the rotor where the pads contact it and heat will concentrate so they can cool evenly..

Wow.

I had my crappy 2005 City until last week and it never gave me any sort of vibrations or anything. Changed the pads a couple of times and the rotors once at the advice of the dealer.

I never did anything other than regular maintenance.