D.I.Y. Sun Shade

snarky66

This little project has been brewing in the back of my mind for maybe 10 years. MiL bedroom is west facing & gets very hot (the wall) in the afternoon. So I went up to the local gate shop with a drawing & got a quote for the frame. Went to the lumber yard & they had some prefabbed gypsum siding about 4 inches wide & 4 meters long. Bought 13 of those & had them delivered. Cut those down to 3.80

Final result. Works like a charm. My house is in Suk 101/1

post-126257-0-52831200-1313293217_thumb.

post-126257-0-18196500-1313293235_thumb.

post-126257-0-42859800-1313293255_thumb.

Well never. Rain will take care of that. Thanks for the compliment. Total cost ; about 10,000 baht. I am amazed at how well it works. In blazing sun the wall of the house is cool.

It was the QCON blocks thread that got me thinking about this.

Edited by snarky66

An unusual and saleable design, simple and effective. :)

Need to get the price down so there's a reasonable ROI period but with the number of homes being built to Western styles with insufficient roof overhang (shading the walls) there's a ready made market if you can demonstrate that it works.

An unusual and saleable design, simple and effective. :)

Need to get the price down so there's a reasonable ROI period but with the number of homes being built to Western styles with insufficient roof overhang (shading the walls) there's a ready made market if you can demonstrate that it works.

Good stuff..had the same thing in Cairns Australia made of teak or sumsuch..a bit prettier and were the innovation of the developer/builder ( we bought his house)...worked like a charm I assume..did get a bit grubby though but never bothered to clean 'em except a hose down now and again.

... Now ya got me thinking of putting something similar on the NW side of our house (our bedroom "cooks" in the late PM...all windows..)...never thought of it. before..goodonya..!! and we have a 2m overhang on our roof !! Don't want to loose the view from the pillows though...lol

Life is a compromise I guess... :rolleyes:

cheers

david

David. I am guessing the slats are at about 45 degrees. Looking out the window from inside very little of the view is blocked.

Crossy. A roller blind made of some type of plastic or fabric costs 3500 baht & lasts only a few years. This will last for 50 years. Add that to very reduced air con costs I think the pay out will be just a few years

As you are house building right now I thought you might find this interesting.

David. I am guessing the slats are at about 45 degrees. Looking out the window from inside very little of the view is blocked.

Crossy. A roller blind made of some type of plastic or fabric costs 3500 baht & lasts only a few years. This will last for 50 years. Add that to very reduced air con costs I think the pay out will be just a few years

As you are house building right now I thought you might find this interesting.

Thanks snarky66....we have been living in our house for 5 years but as usual it is never finished with on going projects etc...lol

Our windows ( except for the sliding aluminum doors) are all regular "swing out" so I would have to suspend some form of shading from the roof overhang...thinking maybe (as you mention) I will get some attractive roller awnings fitted but very expensive if use decent UV resistant shade material as used on boats etc....We don't have air at the moment but will be installing sometime..might also consider getting the glass changed to mirror/tint on the bed windows...

thx again

d

Indeed Snarky, we are having 1.5m overhangs but there's one wall which will catch evening sun and may get hot (it's also my workshop so there is an added incentive).

Idea filed for implementation if we get problems.

Wonder about the 50 years as appears to be steel with 90 degree bends and the life here is not unlimited and rust starts very quickly. I would say 5 years and it will be a major rust problem. Hope I am wrong on that but changed to round tube gates many years ago because of the 90 degree bend/rust issue.

Did you consider using the new reflective paints? Suspect they would make a real difference on a sun facing wall.

Wonder about the 50 years as appears to be steel with 90 degree bends and the life here is not unlimited and rust starts very quickly. I would say 5 years and it will be a major rust problem. Hope I am wrong on that but changed to round tube gates many years ago because of the 90 degree bend/rust issue.

Did you consider using the new reflective paints? Suspect they would make a real difference on a sun facing wall.

one of the reasons for rust, even in stainless steel, seems to be the quality of the welds ie voids, bubbles etc ( I noticed that the welder was using 306 rods on my beautiful new 316 push pit on my boat..got just a shrug of course ...result...rust...sigh) ..

.. also "stupid" here omitted to disconnect the boat grounds and so his welding fried my autopilot computer and the radar....fricking expensive bit of steel! wonder if this could happen to household electronics if somehow there was contact with the re-bar or something...Crossy??

Have felt our walls and they are not significantly hot at the lower sun angle...maybe because they are those lightweight white bricks....

Edited by David006

My frame was made from iron cut at 45 degrees & welded, anti-rust primered by me & then acrylic enamel paint by me. The steel frame is really not exposed to sunlight. I think it will be fine. The paint dries as hard as nails.

All welcome to come by & have a look. Might get some ideas.

David. Yeah I know the lumber yard near me do custom windows, double & even triple glazed & I'll bet she has some innovative roller or sliding blinds. Also home pro & for sure the big home shows at Impact - definitely you can find what you want there. And arrange to have it installed.