Where Is Dispute Mediation Dept Now?

WholeHearted

I'm told there used to be a Thai governmental agency to help people who had disputes with other governmental agencies. There were mediators, ombudsmen, or arbitrators available. It was located in a government building that's next door to the Grandview Hotel on the Superhighway.

rolleyes.gifWhen I went there last week, the building was locked up and vacant. Does anyone know where they may have moved to?

I had a dispute with an insurance company and I sent a letter of to the insurance bureau in Bangkok. I had a hearing, and there is an office in the City Hall Building on the second floor. I don't know if it is the same office or not, but.....it's a lead for you.

I had a dispute with an insurance company and I sent a letter of to the insurance bureau in Bangkok. I had a hearing, and there is an office in the City Hall Building on the second floor. I don't know if it is the same office or not, but.....it's a lead for you.

I'm not amazed that the place to hear disputes is empty and locked. That's an excellent local way of solving ALL disputes, huh?

But to try to be helpful, I am sure you are correct re the place to go.

But let us not mislead people, as all the signs do.

The so-called "City Hall" is NOT the City Hall. The real City Hall is on the river close to the US Consul. That is the base of the Mayor and all affairs concerning the city. It's actually the "Tessabarn".

What is wrongly named the "City Hall" is actually the Provincial Hall out on the Mae Rim road opposite the jail. This looks after all the affairs of the province (not the city), is the base of the Governor of the Province and is called the "sallaglang." Here you will also find the Labour Office (home of those elusive foreign work permits) and many other essential regional govt services. Including the one mentioned by the OP, I hope.

We may get all this non-nomenclature sorted about the same time this website (and to be fair most others) stop wrongly calling Chiang Mai the 2nd biggest city in Thailand. That is Nakhon Rachasima, also known as Korat. Chiang Mai is the 4th or 5th largest city, but is and always has been the 2nd largest PROVINCE.

In the words of the immortal bard: Jeez!

The so-called "City Hall" is NOT the City Hall. The real City Hall is on the river close to the US Consul. That is the base of the Mayor and all affairs concerning the city. It's actually the "Tessabarn".

What is wrongly named the "City Hall" is actually the Provincial Hall out on the Mae Rim road opposite the jail. This looks after all the affairs of the province (not the city), is the base of the Governor of the Province and is called the "sallaglang." Here you will also find the Labour Office (home of those elusive foreign work permits) and many other essential regional govt services. Including the one mentioned by the OP, I hope.

Thanks to both of you. Can the OP with the past insurance dispute please confirm which City Hall (s)he's referring to, Tessabarn or Salaglang?

We may get all this non-nomenclature sorted about the same time this website (and to be fair most others) stop wrongly calling Chiang Mai the 2nd biggest city in Thailand. That is Nakhon Rachasima, also known as Korat. Chiang Mai is the 4th or 5th largest city, but is and always has been the 2nd largest PROVINCE.

In the words of the immortal bard: Jeez!

This is a fun discussion! I have no more (or probably less) clue than anybody else, but here are a couple of pointers:

United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia Pacific (UNESCAP, http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/population/database/thailanddata/north/chiang%20mai.htm ) says:

"Chiang Mai, 761 kilometers by rail, approximately 700 kilometers by road north of Bangkok, with an area of 20,107.1 square kilometers, is Thailand’ s second largest city and capital of the northern region."

It appears rather obvious that they confuse province and city, though, since they give the population as 1,500.1 thousand. The population of the "municipal area" is given as 26.5% of the total, which would make it ~398 thousand.

UNESCAP, http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/population/database/thailanddata/northeast/NakhonRatchasima.htm gives the total population of Nakhon Ratchasima as 2,556.3 thousand with 21% in the "municipal area", which would make it ~537 thousand.

Wikipedia ( http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/population/database/thailanddata/northeast/NakhonRatchasima.htm ), on the other hand, gives the Chiang Mai city population as 958,824.

For Nakon Ratchasima Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhon_Ratchasima ) gives a "municipal area" population of 142,645.

I love this Asian fascination with very exact-looking numbers, preferably at least six significant digits. Whether the figures are well-defined, correct, relevant and so on seems to be totally beside the point :D

/ Priceless

Thanks to both of you. Can the OP with the past insurance dispute please confirm which City Hall (s)he's referring to, Tessabarn or Salaglang?

It is most certainly the Salaglang, the big job on the Mae Rim road. The new building, the one closest to the city. (Thailand's FOURTH largest city!!).

This is also where you will find the Social Welfare office, run by very reasonable and helpful ladies, but NO English. Either the tv system or my incompetence prevents me from answering your PM. Please PM me again with your OWN e-mail and I will happily go into the detail you need about health cover for the over 60's with work permits.