What Do You Do About Customers Camping Out In Your Restaurant?

Ulysses G.

An associate runs a very busy cafe/book store...

They get a lot of backpackers and and general laptop userswanting to use free wi fi or do some computer work..

When they get busy , they simply tell the table hog that the table space is needed, and unless they are ordering food , they will need to move...

They have never had a problem with it...

As an owner u need to make money...the table hog knows that....and they generally know they are taking advantage...

That is in Australia, but i am sure the concept works most places.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here I'm sitting typing this on my laptop in a delightful little cafe / bakery, enjoying the aircon and wifi.

Get this: there's waitresses looking at me ready to refill my free glass of water as soon as it's half empty!

This is Chiang Mai, THIS is service. :clap2:

And, blissfully, NO grouchy Farong business owner in sight!! ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's funny that you posted this. Starbucks is having the same problem. I just read about it the other day. They are getting rid of power outlets as one way of dealing with it.

However my advice for you is to raise prices. What you need to do is just raise prices and see if all your tables are still filled up. If they are, well then raise the prices again.

You should also design the place for maximum capacity. make it so tables can be pushed together for larger groups but so that one person can't hog up seating for 4 people.

When you see someone with their drank finished or near finished go up and ask them if you can get them anything else they will get the idea.

but my first point is most important. if those tables are getting filled than definitely raise the prices until you can create a balance between occupancy and price.

It's funny that you posted this. Starbucks is having the same problem. I just read about it the other day. They are getting rid of power outlets as one way of dealing with it.

Good idea.

However my advice for you is to raise prices. What you need to do is just raise prices and see if all your tables are still filled up. If they are, well then raise the prices again.

Not such a good idea. You'll be chasing away legitimate customers. Freeloaders don't care--they don't buy anything anyways.

When you see someone with their drank finished or near finished go up and ask them if you can get them anything else they will get the idea.

Unfortunately, the true deadbeats will not get the message.

I was in Starbucks in Jakarta airport last week, you needed a password for the wifi which was only valid for 1 hour. The sign said you could get another password on production of a new till receipt.

I was in Starbucks in Jakarta airport last week, you needed a password for the wifi which was only valid for 1 hour. The sign said you could get another password on production of a new till receipt.

Novel idea.

What to do with customers camping out in your restaurant? mmmmhh, get a portable toilette for each one of them, arrange for some local bands to play behind the counter and you will have your very own little Woodstock ! :lol:

Love & Peace again :partytime2:

Just use the Jack Nicholson method as in "As Good as It Gets",

stand over said table, scowling and acting impatient, and finally intimating, your done, now leave,

They'll either leave or other excitment will ensue, a win - win.

:annoyed:B)

Edited by cobra